Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2010 11:35:23 AM EDT
someone i know showed back up one day. he did a tour in Iraq, Army ( not national guard ) then a few months after the tour, he shows up out of the blue, saying "meh, i just got in my car, drove off base. they wont come looking for me"

im guessing there is WAY more to the story,

how do i find out if there were other circumstances, say, dishonorable discharge or something? hell, could have been a dont ask, dont tell issue

it just seems weird that someone can say fuckit,im foing, and not be picked up a year + later when he still had 1.5 years to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that weird at all actually.. had a guy in my platoon do it. He came back like a year later though. I don't know the end result specifics but I think he spent time in jail and got a dishonorable discharge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
happens more than you would think...
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
someone i know showed back up one day. he did a tour in Iraq, Army ( not national guard ) then a few months after the tour, he shows up out of the blue, saying "meh, i just got in my car, drove off base. they wont come looking for me"

how do i find out if there were other circumstances, say, dishonorable discharge or something? hell, could have been a dont ask, dont tell issue

it just seems weird that someone can say fuckit,im foing, and not be picked up a year + later when he still had 1.5 years to go.

Why don't you man up ad ask him?  Instead of sneaking around trying to find ways to violate the privacy act of 1974?

Your buddy is probably AWOL/ Missing movement.   If so, he's right, they WON'T come looking for him.  They will probably adsep him out with a other than honorable or bad conduct discharge. He'll lose all or most of the rights he had as a veteran, right that he had been earning.  OR he'll get pulled over for something stupid one day, and they will take him back to do brig time, and finish out his contract.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a guy in Korea (Korean National-American soldier) show back up to the unit after he had been gone for 2+years.  He just walked up the gate and told the guys he took a little time off and was back to finish up.  He was sentenced to 6 months in jail, dishonorable discharge, all that.  I've seen other people just take off to show back up a few months later.  Shit, at Ft. Knox, there was always a gaggle of really old fuckers wearing BDU's picking up trash, cutting grass, other details.  These are guys that had split how many untold years ago and had gotten caught by civilian authorities.  They were still owned by the Army and where waiting to get kicked out.  

You can do a Freedom of Information Act request  at the VA on the soldier if you really want to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a guy in Korea (Korean National-American soldier) show back up to the unit after he had been gone for 2+years.  He just walked up the gate and told the guys he took a little time off and was back to finish up.  He was sentenced to 6 months in jail, dishonorable discharge, all that.  I've seen other people just take off to show back up a few months later.  Shit, at Ft. Knox, there was always a gaggle of really old fuckers wearing BDU's picking up trash, cutting grass, other details.  These are guys that had split how many untold years ago and had gotten caught by civilian authorities.  They were still owned by the Army and where waiting to get kicked out.  

You can do a Freedom of Information Act request  at the VA on the soldier if you really want to.

We had the same Platoon in the Marines at Camp Pendleton.  Bunch of old timers that went UA for Vietnam.  Now they just separate people without waiting for them to come back, makes it a lot easier.

I didn't think you could get info on some one with a freedom of info act?  My understanding was the only thing really available was a DD214 if it was filed at county records.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do I put this. Oh O know/

it's none of your D*** business.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If he was in my old unit, if he goes back they'll promote him. And if he gets a DUI he'll be on the fast track to Ranger school.
Nobody who went AWOL in my unit ever got a DD.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had the same Platoon in the Marines at Camp Pendleton.  Bunch of old timers that went UA for Vietnam. Now they just separate people without waiting for them to come back, makes it a lot easier.

I didn't think you could get info on some one with a freedom of info act?  My understanding was the only thing really available was a DD214 if it was filed at county records.

The VA has DD214's on file on most everybody, the fire of 1977 burned a shit ton of them up though.  This is a good place to start.  

Makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so a guy might have gone AWOL, and its no ones business ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If he was in my old unit, if he goes back they'll promote him. And if he gets a DUI he'll be on the fast track to Ranger school.

What's that?
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We must have served with the same unit.

Sounds like he was being facetious. You said he was in the NG, finished his tour, and then a few months after he gets back he returns to work. Isn't that the way it usually works?
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that?

Dishonorable discharge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like he was being facetious. You said he was in the NG, finished his tour, and then a few months after he gets back he returns to work. Isn't that the way it usually works?

He said not in the NG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, this guy was ARMY active, not NG
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so a guy might have gone AWOL, and its no ones business ?

The OP has every right to ask his buddy what happened, his buddy has every right not to tell him.  It IS no ones business.  He'll either get picked up, or not either way he's boned.  It's no ones place to judge him except for his superiors if he's caught or a court martial.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Why would somebody lie about going AWOL?  If he's going to lie about why he's out early he could just say he got a Medical Discharge or something.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would somebody lie about going AWOL?  If he's going to lie about why he's out early he could just say he got a Medical Discharge or something.

"meh, i just got in my car, drove off base. they wont come looking for me" sounds pretty honest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If he gets pulled over in a traffic stop AWOL will show up on a records check for wants & warrants.

At least it used to.

I know we ran on a medical call at the jail for a guy that had been picked up by the local PD for showing up as AWOL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top