Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 2:55:59 AM EDT
They shred it with the tires on.

I would have thought they would strip it down to metal before shredding it.

What do they do with the shreds?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They are separated and sorted, then recycled.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The shredded material goes through a series of steps that remove the nonmetallic materials. Drum magnet conveyors get the ferrous, eddy current separators get the copper and other nonferrous and depending on the complexity of the system, you can separate the nonmetallics into theoir constituent parts with air knoife separators and manual picking. the remaining materila is called auto shredder residue (or ASR) and depending on the location can be used for beneficial daily fill at some landfills.

My father is something of a pioneer in this field and I grew up working on these shredders.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably goes from there to magnetic separators, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Then off to China.

You should hear the BANG when they have too much gas in them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top