Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
She is the 3rd most recognizable face in motor sports. She has actually won a race in her life. She can bring in the money at a time everyone is struggling. Why would you as an owner not want her in your car? Why as a male would I not want to watch her? 2nd time in a NASCAR did anyone expect she would win? If she wasn't there it might have been 30 cars on track.

Why the f#ck did F1USA not sign her, they might not have failed(well workin on it). She held her place in indy, Milka got a ride for being so very hot.

Of coarse K. Bush won. ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your original response to me said nothing about press coverage nor had I said anything about it.

Actually, the whole point of this thread is the coverage she's getting and why NASCAR loves her.

That's all fine and dandy, but my response that you quoted had nothing to do with that.  It addressed a specific question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought nascar fans like her because:

1. She's exotic because she's not a relative.
2. She's exotic because she has all of her teeth.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your original response to me said nothing about press coverage nor had I said anything about it.

Actually, the whole point of this thread is the coverage she's getting and why NASCAR loves her.

That's all fine and dandy, but my response that you quoted had nothing to do with that.  It addressed a specific question.

Perhaps I wasn't addressing your specific complaints about DP and was making my own point?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Because they haven't met her, she's a cunt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps I wasn't addressing your specific complaints about DP and was making my own point?

Well, since I was not referring to press coverage in the post you quoted, your point was pointless.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since I was not referring to press coverage in the post you quoted, your point was pointless.

Read it again you might learn something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it again you might learn something.

Enough already.  There is nothing to learn from your posts as they did not address what I said and , while there may be some things I could learn from you, this is not one of them.

Give it a rest.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NASCAR is more difficult,  

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

she seems to really suck as a driver, as she has already been lapped.

I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
She is the 3rd most recognizable face in motor sports.

In the US maybe, but certainly not globally.

Are you honestly saying that she's as recognized as Schumacher, Hamilton or Alonso?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
When she is racing, and having handling problems is it going to be sexist when someone says she is loose?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It seems people watch her, and since television revenues are based on ratings, she gets coverage. It is a short-sighted strategy, to my mind, because I'm willing to bet that it turns off race fans and the people it does attract won't be around for very long.

That's it in a nut shell.  The IRL is going to die after she leaves - the freak-show mongers will find something else to watch while the people like me who actually follow Open Wheel Racing have tuned it out long ago.

Seriously, the Euro GP2 races they show on Speed are 10X better than the bullshit all-Danica, all the time IRL trash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad.  I remember watching the live telecasts of the street racing at Long Beach & thinking how exotic & cool it was.

CART in the 80s and 90s was a fantastic series.  It really was the Second Tier of international Open Wheel Racing.

Especially in the 90s with drivers like Zanardi, Montoya, Moore, DeFerran, Vassar, Villenueve - it was good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wouldn't going to NASCAR be a step backwards compared to INDY?

Obviously not since some of open wheel's best drivers come to nascar and can't do shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea making 10-15 times the money she did in INDY will be a huge step back. NASCAR truck races draw as many viewers as most INDY car races. The guy that finishes 30th place in the NASCAR series for the year will usually make more that the guy who finishes 2nd place in IRL for the year.

DP in the Nationwide races she runs this year will probably make in purse money close to what she makes in IRL.. and her endorsement value increases a great deal.

Sprint Cup purses total more than all the other premier racing series in the US combined.

ETA: In 2006 NASCAR purses totaled $219 million... IRL totaled $24 million and $10 million of that total was from one race, the INDY 500. Hardly a step backwards.

You're right; its not a step backwards as far as cash. But its a HUGE step backwards as far as skill, technology, etc. I watch NASCAR, usually when theres no other racing on(except Camping World Truck races; man, I'd LOVE to see them race on a road course)because I don't like a series where the cars, that are supposed to be STOCK cars, don't look anything like the cars they're supposed to be based on. As far as technology goes, using carbs instead of fuel injection, for example, how is that relevant to the 21st Century? But cash is king and I can see where she would want to make the move. Especially since I believe that her talent is marginal, as compared to more deserving male drivers. But then again, look who she's driving for!!

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea making 10-15 times the money she did in INDY will be a huge step back. NASCAR truck races draw as many viewers as most INDY car races. The guy that finishes 30th place in the NASCAR series for the year will usually make more that the guy who finishes 2nd place in IRL for the year.

DP in the Nationwide races she runs this year will probably make in purse money close to what she makes in IRL.. and her endorsement value increases a great deal.

Sprint Cup purses total more than all the other premier racing series in the US combined.

ETA: In 2006 NASCAR purses totaled $219 million... IRL totaled $24 million and $10 million of that total was from one race, the INDY 500. Hardly a step backwards.

You're right; its not a step backwards as far as cash. But its a HUGE step backwards as far as skill, technology, etc. I watch NASCAR, usually when theres no other racing on(except Camping World Truck races; man, I'd LOVE to see them race on a road course)because I don't like a series where the cars, that are supposed to be STOCK cars, don't look anything like the cars they're supposed to be based on. As far as technology goes, using carbs instead of fuel injection, for example, how is that relevant to the 21st Century? But cash is king and I can see where she would want to make the move. Especially since I believe that her talent is marginal, as compared to more deserving male drivers. But then again, look who she's driving for!!

If if it's a huge step backwards as far as skill, why aren't Sam Hornish Jr and Montoya just destroying Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Kyle Busch, etc etc?  Oh, that's because you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If if it's a huge step backwards as far as skill, why aren't Sam Hornish Jr and Montoya just destroying Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Kyle Busch, etc etc?  Oh, that's because you're full of shit.

Inferior teams maybe.  Ganasi is not nearly as well funded as Hendricks, Gibbs, or Roush.

Actually, I don't know that it's a step backwards from IRL.  The old CART, maybe, or ALMS, yes, but the IRL is a ghost of Indy Car racing from years past.  It's mostly ovals with a few road courses starting to get peppered into the schedule now.  It doesn't have anywhere near the technology that CART/Champ Car had or that ALMS has and, with a few exceptions, doesn't have the caliber of driver that CART had.

Danica won once in what is a watered down series.  She also was with one of the strongest teams in that watered down series.

Sam Hornish has never impressed me.  

Montoya has started to come on once they switched to the faux Chevies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not get all the channels on the "TV Box" in the mountains where you live; also, its a sure sign of lack of intelligence when you resort to cursing. You wouldn't talk to someone in person like that when having a discussion, why here? Anyway, Sam Hornish was good at planting his foot to the floor in an IRL tub and not lifting. Aerodynamically, those cars were like glued to the track. As far as Montoya goes, he was racing lightweight single seaters and not huge, hulking, backward technology crap-wagons that require some getting used to. Skill nowadays is relative; remember Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt and company? They regularly made the trek to Daytona and raced with the good 'ol boys of NASCAR. NASCAR also used to surprise a lot of folks with the way their drivers regularly pasted the road course guys in the old IROC series. Racing is now much more specialized, very few guys can excell from one disipline to the next. Some do better sliding a heavy car around an oval, some do better with a lightweight razor-precise high-tech open wheel car. Now, I used a lot of big words there, take your time reading this. If you need any help, call your Mom or Dad,.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not get all the channels on the "TV Box" in the mountains where you live; also, its a sure sign of lack of intelligence when you resort to cursing. You wouldn't talk to someone in person like that when having a discussion, why here?
Yes, i would
Anyway, Sam Hornish was good at planting his foot to the floor in an IRL tub and not lifting. Aerodynamically, those cars were like glued to the track. As far as Montoya goes, he was racing lightweight single seaters and not huge, hulking, backward technology crap-wagons that require some getting used to. Skill nowadays is relative; remember Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt and company? They regularly made the trek to Daytona and raced with the good 'ol boys of NASCAR. NASCAR also used to surprise a lot of folks with the way their drivers regularly pasted the road course guys in the old IROC series. Racing is now much more specialized, very few guys can excell from one disipline to the next. Some do better sliding a heavy car around an oval, some do better with a lightweight razor-precise high-tech open wheel car. Now, I used a lot of big words there, take your time reading this. If you need any help, call your Mom or Dad,.

Fact of the matter is that with heavier cars with smaller tires and beating the hell out of one another, is harder to do than drive a car whats lighter and has the grip and down force of an industrial suction cup where no one is going to bounce you off a wall as a way of saying "hi"

Different skills? Yeah, but Montoya, if he was soooooooo much more skilled than other nascar drivers, has had time to get used to Nascar and be owning the hell out of everyone. He's not.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not get all the channels on the "TV Box" in the mountains where you live; also, its a sure sign of lack of intelligence when you resort to cursing. You wouldn't talk to someone in person like that when having a discussion, why here?
Yes, i would
Anyway, Sam Hornish was good at planting his foot to the floor in an IRL tub and not lifting. Aerodynamically, those cars were like glued to the track. As far as Montoya goes, he was racing lightweight single seaters and not huge, hulking, backward technology crap-wagons that require some getting used to. Skill nowadays is relative; remember Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt and company? They regularly made the trek to Daytona and raced with the good 'ol boys of NASCAR. NASCAR also used to surprise a lot of folks with the way their drivers regularly pasted the road course guys in the old IROC series. Racing is now much more specialized, very few guys can excell from one disipline to the next. Some do better sliding a heavy car around an oval, some do better with a lightweight razor-precise high-tech open wheel car. Now, I used a lot of big words there, take your time reading this. If you need any help, call your Mom or Dad,.

Fact of the matter is that with heavier cars with smaller tires and beating the hell out of one another, is harder to do than drive a car whats lighter and has the grip and down force of an industrial suction cup where no one is going to bounce you off a wall as a way of saying "hi"

Different skills? Yeah, but Montoya, if he was soooooooo much more skilled than other nascar drivers, has had time to get used to Nascar and be owning the hell out of everyone. He's not.

I'm not saying he is so much more skilled as a driver. However, if you're a baseball star and never played hockey, and I 'm a hockey star and challenge you to a game, you'll lose. And it'll take you a LONG time before you can play at my level. And during the time you're learning, I'm going to keep getting better and better. I'm not against NASCAR per se, I just wish they'd get the tech out of the 1970's, and race on a more diverse group of tracks. We can at least agree that the ACR isn't worth 3K !

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#22]
True
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Tony Stewart can run both equally well.  Then can win a local dirt track race during the week.  Some guys are just more talented.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tony Stewart can run both equally well.  Then can win a local dirt track race during the week.  Some guys are just more talented.

I won't argue with you on that either; although I doubt he can fit into an open wheel car now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

JPM is a consistent Top Six driver in Sprint Cup.  I'm not sure where you're going disparaging him as if he's running at the back.

He's a genuine talent - a F3000 Champion, he KILLED the field in his rookie season in CART (back when it was a Top Flight series), won the Indy 500 in his only run and he was capable of beating Kimi and Schumacher on his day in F1.

Let me guess, if Kimi doesn't win in WRC this year, you'll slam him too?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for reminding that was on. Back in1990 I split from the SO and got tried of bars and joined and cospondsered a Late Model Dirt track car,I found out fast that it's not just the driver but the whole team behind the driver. I was a semi gear head before, but we won the 1990 late model championship and I had a blast and stopped after two years.
I'll try and post a pic. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/random015.jpgIm the little guy on the right, Racing is a lot more interseting if you know whats going on

You were on a raceteam with Ron Jeremy?

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

JPM is a consistent Top Six driver in Sprint Cup.  I'm not sure where you're going disparaging him as if he's running at the back.

When JPM first started running Cup, he was running WAY back. I was pleasantly surprised to see how he's improved.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it is not a huge step back. That might have been a valid point 15 years ago but INDY ceased to be cutting edge technology years ago. Sure NASCAR cars run carbs... how do you think they make those carbs run so well, technology. There is more cutting edge technology in Hendricks and Roush garages that probably all of the IRL garages combined.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much heavier cars, with higher center of gravity, much less downforce, and smaller width tires... anyone who thinks driving those cars is easy needs to ask any of the open wheel drives that have tried it in recent years, none of them think it is easy or easier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope she gets black flagged for not keeping the pace.

She's terrible. She's doing this soley as a marketing stunt.

"Where the hell was I speeding on the track" Whaaaaaaaaaahhhh. I hope Kyle Busch shows her the wall.

Actually, she almost showed Kyle the wall because of her shitty-ass driving

Danica sucks at racing and that is the bottom line...she is only there because she is a girl
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much heavier cars, with higher center of gravity, much less downforce, and smaller width tires... anyone who thinks driving those cars is easy needs to ask any of the open wheel drives that have tried it in recent years, none of them think it is easy or easier.

I know most of the drivers who have switched in recent years, what they say privately doesn't jive with that statement. I know about race cars, as a mechanic and Crew Chief I have won 13 major Championships. As an example, one of those teams was Ganassi, I know Juan well and I also  know what he thinks. His "move to the front" comes much more from the car improving than him, he did not suddenly learn how to drive.

One of the things that most people don't know about Juan is that during his career he has driven many, many different types of cars. Growing up he drove anything that remotely resembled a race car including "stock type" cars in South America. He is a natural talent and although he does not participate in other forms of racing like Tony Stewart, (another one of my charges from the past), he would not disappoint.

On topic...Danica is a premium marketing tool, nothing else. I do however give her her due. She has survived in a tough environment for women and has genuinely improved over the years and I believe that she deserves to be in a race car just as much as many of the current crop of drivers.. Just today one of her fellow drivers and I were discussing her participation in the big car series, he didn't have much good to say about her driving ability as do most of those that have raced with her.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is code for someone else, isn't it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Bitch couldn't win a fuckin race with an SR-71 strapped to her car
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I miss the IMSA GTP
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Overheard on the radio..

Danica Patrick: I'm kinda loose through turn three!
Tony Eury Jr: Try some Kegels, Danica.

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I miss the IMSA GTP

Oh yeah.

When I first started working corners, they were still racing the 935s in what was called the GTX class.  Got to see Jack Roush's Mustang GTX that he build as a GTO car, but decided to just go crazy and make it a GTX car which was basically a class where you could just go nuts on making a car.

The 962s were just getting started along with the Porsche powered and Chevy powered March cars.  Remember the Creepy Krauly March Porsche and the Red Lobster Marches?  Red Lobster had a Chevy March for the short races and a Porsche March for the endurance races.

I also remember the Red Lobster BMW M1 that ran in GTO.

Lots of great cars and some of the drivers were some real characters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's why I don't care, because Nascar is nothing but a bunch or circles and caution flags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#38]
I hate to bust any bubbles but,

I think she is from Decatur.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss the IMSA GTP

Oh yeah.

When I first started working corners, they were still racing the 935s in what was called the GTX class.  Got to see Jack Roush's Mustang GTX that he build as a GTO car, but decided to just go crazy and make it a GTX car which was basically a class where you could just go nuts on making a car.

The 962s were just getting started along with the Porsche powered and Chevy powered March cars.  Remember the Creepy Krauly March Porsche and the Red Lobster Marches?  Red Lobster had a Chevy March for the short races and a Porsche March for the endurance races.

I loved that series - the Lowenbrau 962 run by Al Holbert, the Nissan run by the Brabhams, the Mustang GTP with that trick underbody, the Jaguar, the Goodwrench Corvette GTP run by Cyrl VanDeMawyr.  I had a poster of the Mustang GTP on my wall as a kid.  They ran the Turbo Kent Block in that thing - it rarely lasted the entire race but was always fast as hell until it grenaded.

The TransAm series in that era was pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss the IMSA GTP

Oh yeah.

I loved that series - the Lowenbrau 962 run by Al Holbert, the Nissan run by the Brabhams, the Mustang GTP with that trick underbody, the Jaguar, the Goodwrench Corvette GTP run by Cyrl VanDeMawyr.  I had a poster of the Mustang GTP on my wall as a kid.  They ran the Turbo Kent Block in that thing - it rarely lasted the entire race but was always fast as hell until it grenaded.

The TransAm series in that era was pretty cool too.

It's Sarel van der Merwe and this is the car in which he won the 1984 Daytona 24 Hours:

This picture looks like it was taken at Turn 5, my usual turn at Daytona.  This was the year before I started:

Ford actually had 2 different GTP cars.  The first was the front engined Ford Mustang GTP with a 2.1 turbo 4 banger fielded by Zakspeed with assistance from Roush:

It was very fast, but very unreliable.

Unlike the Corvette GTP, which used a Lola chassis with bodywork made to look loosely like a 'vette, the Mustang GTP was built completely in-house using components from Ford Aerospace.

Next was the Ford Mustang Probe GTP car, a mid-engined car with Ford V8s built by Roush as well as the 4 banger turbos.  It was raced in both configurations with the V8 being the powerplant when Roush himself ran it towards the end of it's career:

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
She is the 3rd most recognizable face in motor sports.

In the US maybe, but certainly not globally.

Are you honestly saying that she's as recognized as Schumacher, Hamilton or Alonso?

Who?

To the US market its Jeff, Dale, and Danica. The King no longer drives.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#42]
The only reason I clicked on the thread was to see a picture of Danica Patrick and the OP has no pic.  

FAIL

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only reason I clicked on the thread was to see a picture of Danica Patrick and the OP has no pic.  

FAIL

WTF?

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL

WTF?

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6danica_patrick_opt.jpg

That's a game face...

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for her to sit on the pole for a race.

Or win the Pole.

Well, you get the pun.

She'll sit on my face? what?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
she seems to really suck as a driver, as she has already been lapped.

By me, I wish.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NASCAR is more difficult, has more races, and probably has more money to be made.

Danica was not THAT great at cart racing, why does anyone think she can make it in NASCAR?

IIRC she maybe won one race (Japan) and usually finished 7th or 8th.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#49]
NASCAR loves her because the racing sucks now.  The rules are Byzantine, the cars boring, and if a driver starts to dominate they change the rules to put in a fix.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#50]
She proves that with years of intense training, a woman can indeed be taught to drive properly. Never mind that she can only turn in one direction, we will let the women have this small victory to stoke their egos a bit. Maybe if we encourage them they will figure out how to turn in the other direction as well and that will spur them into figuring out how to drive the speed limit and park within the designated lines at the sammich supply shops that they frequent.

And she has tits, unlike the rest of the field.

THAT is why NASCAR loves Danica Patrick.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top