Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:35:26 AM EDT
I have a 4 year old refrigerator that has an icemaker.  Recently it has not made any ice.  While looking at it this weekend I realized that when the ice maker calls for water, the water sprays out the opening where the water hose goes into the refrigerator.  Basically, the water is spraying on the wall behind the refrigerator and not into the ice tray inside the freezer.

I tried to look for a way to access the internal hose and couldn't find it.  The water is filtered in the bottom of the refrigerator, then a hose comes out of the back and then up to the top of the refrigerator.  It is routed internally in the refrigerator to the point where a spout comes out over the ice tray.  There is no access panel or point inside the refrigerator to get at this hose.  There is no access point in the back.

It seems to me that the only way to get at this is to empy the entire refrigerator, take the doors off, and then take the entire external case off of the refrigerator (the black metal "case" appears to be one piece).

Is that what needs to be done (removing the whole case)?  Anyone got any experience with a repair like this?

I would love to get access to this hose without taking the case off.  The refrigerator is a Whirlpool Gold side by side.

Thanks,

Corey

ETA Problem solved –– see my post from 7:02 p.m.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Turn water off at supply under sink , do not shut off saddle valve, they like to leak after being shut and opened, but actual faucet shut off. Sometimes, the ice line will be threaded direct to shut off.

Replace garbage plastic line with copper.

Turn water back on.

Invest in basic repair manuals.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Turn water off at supply under sink , do not shut off saddle valve, they like to leak after being shut and opened, but actual faucet shut off. Sometimes, the ice line will be threaded direct to shut off.

Turn water back on.

I would love to replace it with a copper line.  We have a water supply built into the wall which I can turn off IIRC.

My problem is how to access the internals of the refrigerator.  Do I have to take the entire external case off or is there another way?

I would love to have the repair manual couldn't find it online.

BTW, I just looked for the repair manual and did find a FAQ that suggested that the spout over the ice tray could be frozen.  I'll check that tonight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn water back on.

I would love to replace it with a copper line.  We have a water supply built into the wall which I can turn off IIRC.

My problem is how to access the internals of the refrigerator.  Do I have to take the entire external case off or is there another way?

BTW, I just looked for the repair manual and did find a FAQ that suggested that the spout over the ice tray could be frozen.  I'll check that tonight.

Make sure it is unplugged. There may be a series of 1/4" machine screws on the back of the fridge. You may have to remove rear panel to access.

Otherwise, you can cap the supply fitting under the sink with a brass fitting from the hardware store until you can get a manual or find some help.

Did you try and google a pdf repair manual?
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn water back on.

Make sure it is unplugged. There may be a series of 1/4" machine screws on the back of the fridge. You may have to remove rear panel to access.

Otherwise, you can cap the supply fitting under the sink with a brass fitting from the hardware store until you can get a manual or find some help.

Did you try and google a pdf repair manual?

Yes re: the repair manual and I just found the standard use manual (which recommends anything beyond the FAQ/troubleshooting be done by an "authorized repair technician...").

I'll check again to see if there's an access panel in back, but I didn't find any yesterday and I was prepared to remove screws to get at the hose.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I know this sounds gross but can you disconect the hose before it goes into ice maker and suck on it to try to pull blockage backwards just a thought

can't be any worse than syphing gas and getting a mouth full

good luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know this sounds gross but can you disconect the hose before it goes into ice maker and suck on it to try to pull blockage backwards just a thought

good luck

I don't think it's a blockage as the water is obviously coming out of the hose somewhere inside the frig (it spray out the back when the icemaker calls for water).
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps you should ask DrFrige for help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Perhaps you should ask DrFrige for help.

I'm hoping that he will be along shortly....

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#9]
All mine takes is compression fittings.  Should be a 10 minute job for you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't get to the leak, that is the problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, are you sure the leak isn't coming from the fitting where the water hose is connected to the outside tubing?

If it's an internal water line problem you'll have to take apart the back panel.  But that would be very unusual to have developed a leak in the inside tubing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep. The most basic possible repair today could bring.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you even attempted to look up a manual or pull the back panel off?
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might be saying the internal tubing inside the refrigerator is leaking?

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be. Could be the freezer is dying as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, are you sure the leak isn't coming from the fitting where the water hose is connected to the outside tubing?

If it's an internal water line problem you'll have to take apart the back panel.  But that would be very unusual to have developed a leak in the inside tubing.

The hose runs inside the back steel panel on the refrigerator.  There is no external connection point.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you even attempted to look up a manual or pull the back panel off?

Yes, but I can't find a repair manual online.  I looked at the owners manual and beyond the "troubleshooting" guide they directed any other repairs to a service center or technician.

The metal panel on the back appears to be recessed underneath the black exterior case.  Trust me, I would have loved it if I could have just unscrewed a panel and gotten access to the interior of the frig.

I tried to get access inside of the frig and even unscrewed some vent ducting.  The hose is internal in the top of the frig and could not be accessed from inside the refrigerator.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be. Could be the freezer is dying as well.

The freezer works.

EDIT:  Actually, I need to amend that.  We've had it for 3+ years.  And on probably 4 occassions the inside has gotten really warm (like a defrost cycle taken to an extreme).  If I unplug it and plug it back in it cools down and it's business as usual until the next warm cycle....

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
There's got to be a way to access the fridge from the outside... look for some machine screws in the back by the panel where the external water hose connects to the fridge... it might be leaking just inside of there. I had one that did that... I took off the back access panel and replaced the cheap lines with better lines...

If it's getting warm inside there may be a recirculation fan going bad. I had that happen as well... it was replaced under warranty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's got to be a way to access the fridge from the outside... look for some machine screws in the back by the panel where the external water hose connects to the fridge... it might be leaking just inside of there. I had one that did that... I took off the back access panel and replaced the cheap lines with better lines...

If it's getting warm inside there may be a recirculation fan going bad. I had that happen as well... it was replaced under warranty.

Thanks.  I'll look at it again tonight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#22]
If you give me the model # i can tell you how to take it apart, your problem is the water line is frozen were it enters the cabinet. The normal causes are clogged filter, bad water valve or self piercing saddle valve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you give me the model # i can tell you how to take it apart, your problem is the water line is frozen were it enters the cabinet. The normal causes are clogged filter, bad water valve or self piercing saddle valve.

That was exactly it!!

When I was looking for a repair manual today I ran across a FAQ that suggested that.  I got home and felt the little rubber spout that puts water in the ice tray and it was rock hard.  I spent a few minutes on it with a hair drier and got the ice clog out.

I turned the ice maker on and it worked!

Thanks everyone!

Corey

PS  I looked again and there does not appear to be ANY way to access the inside of that refrigerator absent taking the entire exterior case off.  The only removable panel is about a 12" piece that gives access to the motor and stuff on the very bottom.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Its not fixed you just postponed it from doing it again. Frozen water line is a symptom of slow moving water or water valve leaking past. I assume this is a whirlpool or 106 model Kenmore where the water line comes directly from the top of the freezer compartment. If this is the type the # one cause of frozen water line is not keeping up with the filters or not running enough water through the new filter. The #2 cause is a self piercing saddle valve. Then theres the bad water valve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Its not fixed you just postponed it from doing it again. Frozen water line is a symptom of slow moving water or water valve leaking past. I assume this is a whirlpool or 106 model Kenmore where the water line comes directly from the top of the freezer compartment. If this is the type the # one cause of frozen water line is not keeping up with the filters or not running enough water through the new filter. The #2 cause is a self piercing saddle valve. Then theres the bad water valve.

This is a Whirlpool Gold.  And you are correct on the routing.  I figured that it probably wasn't the line itself because when the ice maker was not calling for water there were no leaks (i.e., the hose and valve were working properly).

It has been a while since we have changed filters but the light is still green....  I'll bet you're going to say that it's time to change the filter every 6 months regardless of what the little light says, right?  

And is there any explaination for every 6-12 months or so it going into a super defrost mode that melts all the ice cream?  Usually I unplug it, wait a minute, plug it back in and everything goes back to the correct temperature.

Thanks!

Corey

ETA: I should add that this frozen spout episode came directly after one of these super defrost cycles.  When the freezer got back down to temperature draining water froze.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
When you say its been awhile since you changed it, how long do you mean? Alot of those whirlpools lights reset if there is a power outage or surge. If its been more than a year thats probably your problem. If not i would look for a bad kink in the water line somewhere or a self piercing saddle valve.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When you say its been awhile since you changed it, how long do you mean? Alot of those whirlpools lights reset if there is a power outage or surge. If its been more than a year thats probably your problem. If not i would look for a bad kink in the water line somewhere or a self piercing saddle valve.

There are no kinks in the supply hose.

And when you say "more than a year" on this current filter all I can say is "probably...."

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Do not run those filters over 1 year. Every one that I have ever seen burst was installed in the unit for over a year. They always tend to bust when people are on vacation or at work and no one is around to shut it off.  I would lean towards the filter being the cause of the frozen i/m fill tube. You can also run your fridge without a filter just by removing it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do not run those filters over 1 year. Every one that I have ever seen burst was installed in the unit for over a year. They always tend to bust when people are on vacation or at work and no one is around to shut it off.  I would lean towards the filter being the cause of the frozen i/m fill tube. You can also run your fridge without a filter just by removing it.

Thank you so much for the advice. I am ordering two new filters today!!

Corey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top