Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2001 6:39:01 AM EDT
Everything about this new format is horrid.  It stinks.  We should go back to the old format.
Examples:
1.  Black/grey background makes text VERY HARD to read.
2.  Takes FOREVER to load pages.  I have a 500P3 computer and a T-1 line and it's taking 3-4 minutes to load a single page.
3.   Poorly organized.  Where did "for sale" go?
4.   Everything on the old board seems to be lost.
5.  etc, etc, etc.
NEW IS NOT ALWAY BETTER.

Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
This format is terrible!  Where are the archives?  Why this tiny font and hard-to-read dark colors?  Please say that this isn't what we're going to have to be dealing with.  It's going to drive a lot of people away.  Including me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure Ed will be happy to refund your money...
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I kind of like it. I dont think it is hard to read or see at all. Also, I have a 233mhz pentium with DSL and all the pages here download fine for me. Sounds like the problem is on your end F4GIB.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
On a T1, this Beta board loads instantly...Even on a dial up connection, the pages load up faster than the previous board..
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I can see, this new board is just as slow and ponderous as the old board was.

Seems that there must be a more underlying problem to what's happening.

At this rate, I'd stay with the old.

Moe Mensale
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Board is painfully slow for me (some messages take over 5 minutes -->never to load), but maybe it's the time of day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys that are reporting slow loading of the forums have other problems.

I am sitting on a shared 56k dialup, and this board is [b]FAST!!![/B]

I would suggest that...
1. You upgrade your browser (IE, or Netscape).
2. Do some network diagnostics (check with pings, or traceroutes). It maybe downstream from you that is the bottleneck. Or maybe your netowrk Admin has no fucking clue on how to setup thier network. But don't complain about the pages loading slow.
3. Check your own network settings on your system. Is your NIC set to 100/full, 100/half, 10/half (just make sure that it is what the network is designed for, again check with your network admin)
4. Check your proxy servers. Are you using the proper proxy server? Is your proxy server overloaded?

As for the Black/grey text/background. Deal with it. Or even better yet, give your eye doctor a call you may need an eye exam. Black text on White background on a computer is actually the worst thing for your eyes.

Now for "Where did "for sale" go?"... Dude get some glasses, or learn to read. It is at the top right of the default page when you enter the forums.

And finally... "Everything on the old board seems to be lost." [red]NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!![/red] The old board is [blue]BROKEN!![/blue] All the old posts are stuck in the bit bucket from hell untill someone gets time to go to the old board and fix the damn thing.

My final words... You want some cheese with your whineing??

Just be grateful that you have a place to talk about one of  the greatest rifle made!

Flame on!!! [pyro]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not whining, Guzzler. I do not believe anyone else is either. I was reporting my observations (actually, the board seems better at this later hour).
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Black on grey isnt all that hard to read.
Swedish is hard to read.
Det är verkligen imponerande att se korten när du
rider utan huvudlag. Vilket samspel!!! Lycka till i fortsättningen också!
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
No complaints from me Guzzler![:)] I am just thankful that I finally found this page. I was having withdrawals not being able to get my fix of ar15.com! I thought the liberals were trying to shut down our free speech! [chainsawkill]
Thanks,
Lynn  
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, G-Man, where in Oregon do
you live? I live in Albany.
Swedish? That's why I forgot
it, I guess. My parents both
spoke it in the house when I grew up.  John H Osterholm
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the forums is cool.  The only thing I miss is the email notification on topics you've posted.  I like how you can see which members are on the forums.  Netscape loads up these forums pretty slowly though..  it takes netscape about 10 seconds on my AMD Athlon 950 mhz 256 mb ram.  I open up a different browser though to read these forums and it renders it pretty fast.

The horror.. the horror!

:)
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the forum has more positive aspects to it than negative. I would prefer to see a larger font used and I have a problem with the black text on gray background for reading in English. I couldn't read any of the Swedish. I have a T1 connection here at work with IE 4.0 and the forums load fast for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I would also like to see a larger font.
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Netscape loads up these forums pretty slowly though..  it takes netscape about 10 seconds on my AMD Athlon 950 mhz 256 mb ram.  I open up a different browser though to read these forums and it renders it pretty fast.

The horror.. the horror!

:)
View Quote

Guess you be one ah them Willy G's PoS lovers... eh...  ;)

Got a clue 'bout his stand on firearms... and where a good chunk oh his freebe funds end up... it sure as hey ain't NRA, GOA, etc...

db
Link Posted: 1/26/2001 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Here are my complaints about the new format:

1.  Color scheme makes it hard to read.

2.  Fonts are too little.

3.  The navigation bar on the left side...it takes up too much space and sometimes I like to read ar15.com on a smallish laptop.

I really like the format, colors, etc. on the old site.

Thanks for listening!

GunLvr

Link Posted: 1/26/2001 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont really care for it, fonts to small.
I spent a few minutes starring trying to find the for sale stuff still not easy to locate
Link Posted: 1/26/2001 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]

FWIW...

Font style and size, colors and many other visual settings can usually be set by the user to over-ride the page settings... at least NetScrape will allow this...

Of course, in some cases (few IMO) that may not work as well with some sites and you have to switch back and forth... beeg deal...

Learn to use the resources you got as best you can... yeah it takes some trial and error and some effort... and when all esle fails... RTFM... ;)

What we, as users, can't fix is the insistance of code writers to load up with useless frills, bells and whistles that accomplish little except to eat up BW and server resources... other than to show off thier artistic talent... it's the age ol choice between 'show' or 'go'... as a rac'r and a INetter I ahways much prefered the 'go' every time...

Ex: Seems a bunch of kiddie tunes animated thingies are of more import than the substance of the forums...

OCTJMO, ICBW...

db
Link Posted: 1/27/2001 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]
with netscape 4.76 it takes a looonnnnggg time to load - netscape 6 is buggy and doesn't work - i havr dsl modem and the firds page shows up after 3minutes , but better this than nothing
Link Posted: 1/27/2001 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#20]
My earlier unfavorable comments stand.  
I've now tried the new format on three (3) computer systems.  Two connected to T-1 lines and 1 connected to a high-speed cable line.  Takes over 2 minutes to receive a page.  Hard to read and hard to use.  Cute new "features" don't outweigh drawbacks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2001 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Old format was better all around - easier on the eyes for sure.  Regardless - thanks, Ed!
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top