Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2017 4:30:27 PM EDT
GD gets spammed by trolls and shills making 10 new threads in a day. Maybe put a cap on the # of threads a non-paying member can make within a certain period of time. Like one thread per 24hr period. 

If they're going to shitpost here, let's at least get $24 out of them. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on a few forums where unpaid members can't start threads at all outside of a few dedicated introduction areas. I'd love to see that here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm on a few forums where unpaid members can't start threads at all outside of a few dedicated introduction areas. I'd love to see that here.
View Quote

Eh, I'm not sure I'm on board with that level of restriction. I just think that there should be a cap on the volume of noise they can create. I think if we implemented something like that we would lose some real quality posters who perhaps only have interest in tech-related forums.

I like that we are open with membership and it draws in a large, mixed crowd. It's part of what makes Arfcom great. I just think a little tweaking and moderation might help overall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't seem like a bad idea.  Maybe not all non-paying members but like the new user image post verification they can't post more than a certain number until they have been around for a certain time.

As a paying member for 9 years, I rarely start new threads.  Maybe one or two a month at most.

Such restriction would also encourage guys from having 87 purchases and sales in EE (obviously making money off the site) not having a membership too.

That said, I have learned to use my ignore list with a hair-trigger and that lets me not click on a whole lot of crap in GD started by the same accounts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a member of at least 4 other firearms forums I regularly go to, along with two motorcycle forums and a sxs forum.  Reading material for 12 hour work shifts.  I won't pay for any of them, this is only one that I can think of that has a subscription service that I know of, maybe snipershide does too, I looked around there a few years back, and never went back.  AR15.com has the others beat by a large margin in the now breaking news stories, and about the only reason I scan through active topics, but in the area of firearms related information, its lacking.  I can recall seeing KAC, Nikon and Ruger reps replying to a normal Joe question on other forums recently, within the last month or so, even a very famous youtuber who I'll leave unnamed here joining another AR board and saying hello, but not here.  I don't want to drag any of them into an argument, I just bring them up to illustrate a point, the whole pay system and general hostility of this site push valuable people away who could be adding a lot of content.  Mark Larue has to have a thick skin for some of the beatings he takes..... What do you mean you only had 2500 triggers to put on sale?  Why didn't they all ship instantly? boo hoo hoo.  I made the mistake of clicking on one 24/365 thread, wtf is that mess of meaningless crap posts for other then padding post counts.  Just my opinion but the whole system of this site and firearms topics in general needs to be reevaluated.  I don't really see any problem with non members making to many posts, but then I also try to avoid GD.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be nice to have a feature that allowed us to see who started a thread so we could avoid threads started by posters we don't enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
$24 a year to post on a forum...go be rich somewhere else

I do like the idea of a limited post for a certain time period, a couple months or so. It would cut down on a lot of trolls.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a member of at least 4 other firearms forums I regularly go to, along with two motorcycle forums and a sxs forum.  Reading material for 12 hour work shifts.  I won't pay for any of them, this is only one that I can think of that has a subscription service that I know of, maybe snipershide does too, I looked around there a few years back, and never went back.  AR15.com has the others beat by a large margin in the now breaking news stories, and about the only reason I scan through active topics, but in the area of firearms related information, its lacking.  I can recall seeing KAC, Nikon and Ruger reps replying to a normal Joe question on other forums recently, within the last month or so, even a very famous youtuber who I'll leave unnamed here joining another AR board and saying hello, but not here.  I don't want to drag any of them into an argument, I just bring them up to illustrate a point, the whole pay system and general hostility of this site push valuable people away who could be adding a lot of content.  Mark Larue has to have a thick skin for some of the beatings he takes..... What do you mean you only had 2500 triggers to put on sale?  Why didn't they all ship instantly? boo hoo hoo.  I made the mistake of clicking on one 24/365 thread, wtf is that mess of meaningless crap posts for other then padding post counts.  Just my opinion but the whole system of this site and firearms topics in general needs to be reevaluated.  I don't really see any problem with non members making to many posts, but then I also try to avoid GD.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
At least put a time limit on it...no reason to punish the long time non-payers
<----- long time non-payer.  non-payer in the sense I don't pay the $24...I do patronize the sponsoring vendors though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Bumping this for GT9's sixth GD thread of the day
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Limiting who can post would limit the stuff for sale
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top