Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2016 11:33:19 AM EDT
I scan gd a number of times daily just for breaking news-as I'm sure others do too.It's no secret gd breaks a lot of news hours before msm.

How about a BREAKING NEWS forum, just for breaking news, that can be subscribed to by sms or text.

It either needs to be credible, verifiable or eyewitnesses. Spam= death.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll second this.

GD is my news source nowadays, but I hate having to scroll through all the GDish threads.

I too think a Breaking News section would be a great asset to ARFCOM.

ETA: threads not posts
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
hell, that's a third of GD..
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That's an awesome idea!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Something I asked for years ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll second this.

GD is my news source nowadays, but I hate having to scroll through all the GDish threads.

I too think a Breaking News section would be a great asset to ARFCOM.

ETA: threads not posts
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]

How about No!

Braking news threads here work as well as they do because of the preponderance of contributing posters that are only going to be found in General Discussion,

That great number of GD viewers taking notice of Breaking News is what makes the Breaking News thread so rich with content so fast..

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I only see it in Active Topics so I don't see how a new forum would benefit anything.
View Quote

Ditto.

... which does raise an interesting point:  how can a conversation become active if it doesn't get enough posts to hit the Active Topics list?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Breaking News is a term that should cease once the story or event is more than a few hours old. We had "BREAKING NEWS: Russa invades Ukraine" or whatever the thread title was for several months.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw Breaking News and figured it was a troll thread.  Would be a cool idea in theory, what about application though?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I navigate via "active topics" so I'll just vote "present".
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Breaking News is a term that should cease once the story or event is more than a few hours old. We had "BREAKING NEWS: Russa invades Ukraine" or whatever the thread title was for several months.

View Quote

The MH370 thread is still labeled that way.

The OPs of the thread or mod/staff should just edit the titles after so long.

ETA: Also an "Active Topics" viewing member.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love the idea in concept.

In practice, I predict it would be a nightmare.  Folks here will have very different ideas about what does and does not constitute "breaking news," even if we reach consensus on that folks will ignore any defined criteria all too often, and it would create a whole new front in the "DUPE" wars.

I hope I am wrong about all of that, because I could see it being very useful and a positive addition to the site.

View Quote

Just thinking out loud....and way above my pay grade

Its clearly a forum only created for broadcasting BREAKING NEWS, even then sent only to Members with a Subscription, to email or SMS. Breaking news doesnt happen everyday, on a busy busy week it may occur twice a day- a week or two would probably fit on page one easily. Really no excuse to DUPE in there.

Probably a good idea to install a failsafe. Upon posting it goes email/sms to Staff to authorize & release (maybe even any and all volunteer mods to insure a lot of people have a chance to help disperse and maintain the real time continuum). Kinda like the 7 second delay in radio, a little check system.

And clearly tacked up top, SPAM, April Fools, I was just fucking around- locked until Obama gets reelected.  

But your last line is what I was kinda thinking about, "very useful and positive addition to the site". Even Active topics only users () only get news when they check in. I only surf here and there at work. Breaking news SMS I'd get no matter what no matter where. AQ attacking downtown Seattle and Im in a movie? I know while Im eating popcorn the S is hTF outside.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How about No!

Braking news threads here work as well as they do because of the preponderance of contributing posters that are only going to be found in General Discussion,

That great number of GD viewers taking notice of Breaking News is what makes the Breaking News thread so rich with content so fast..

View Quote

Ok, I kinda get that. More thinking out loud...

How about a BREAKING NEWS button on the OP? He its it, then a few more guys hit it. 5 or 10 Breaking news button hits, it gets sent.

You are right. You misspelled BREAKING, but you are still right.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I scan gd a number of times daily just for breaking news-as I'm sure others do too.It's no secret gd breaks a lot of news hours before msm.

How about a BREAKING NEWS forum, just for breaking news, that can be subscribed to by sms or text.

It either needs to be credible, verifiable or eyewitnesses. Spam= death.
View Quote

l like it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm for it, as long as it doesn't turn into a, "Fox News Alert". Hell, they think everything is breaking news.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I suggested  the very thing some time ago, crickets.

Here's an alternate suggestion, how about a breaking news thread icon and some way to sort or list by that icon so that people can scan the list before duping.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#23]
... test forum, we need a testing forum

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Am I the only one who feels way?

Can "IN" posts, idiotic rhetoric, and political trash be moved to a separate thread so a BREAKING thread is easier to follow?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Good idea.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't that what GD is?
Take out the news, and GD will die
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top