Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Democrat means,

fixing shit that was working well already.

Boehner would cave to this.

Was I complaining about the pics. Nooooo.....

Did you fix the pics so I get a red X.    Yehhhhhhhsy.......

Whadda you mean I have to click on it to know wats inside?

Much like Obamacare.

Yeh and I own this page on an edit, cause you couldn't have it if you tried.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a test. I went to GD and grabbed the HTML for all the threads on the first page of GD. I extracted the links for user posted pictures.

Test 1
Yielded 128 links.
I was able to successfully download 127 of the images using HTTP.
I was only able to fetch 74 images using HTTPS.
Thats only a 58% success rate.

Test 2
87 image links found
75 images successful via HTTP
51 images via HTTPS
68% success rate

The number one failure was the SSL cert not matching the domain for the image - mainly due to content distribution networks and virtual hosting providers.

ETA - I want to browse the site securely. But if I have to access it via HTTP just so I can see the content what is the point of having SSL? At least when using SSL and mixed content you get some protection.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Please make image sizes in threads a user setting..

If you really want to help my screen display things though... prohibit the mile long text strings (or urls) from expanding the browser window. Force them to wrap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for fixing this! Those tiny images were terrible.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
When I'm using the HTTPS site and hit reply to a post that links to HTTP images (that don't display in the thread) they display in the reply viewer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the most ill-conceived "improvement" I've witnessed in a while, and that's saying something.

Why? What possible constructive purpose has any of this served.
It's really screwed the way I use (or use to) my arfcom media files.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#9]
GoatBoy the only thing I can say specifically it that all the threads heavy with pictures now load noticibly slower.  Even more so the  threads that are primarily video related.  A specific current example is this one

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1749421_The_official_90s_alt_rock_music_thread.html

The page loads but it is painfully slow for the video files to populate to the page.  

I can only presume the delay and slow page loads are due to how you have modified how those types of files are handled.  I can not be any more specific than to say the site now behaves significantly slower in those circumstances.  I verified my impressions on multiple machines.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is due to the youtube embed code being updated to current standards versus the protocol change. I'll dig up a work around. I know google was doing a "snapshot" holder for videos and releasing code to everyone. With their embed code each video ads a LOT to the page download, which is why that page is fubar. Thanks for letting me know about that page though. I'll put this high on the list for a fix in the next few days.
View Quote

Is it just me or do all videos now appear in a widescreen format?  I presume this is related to the YouTube code update you mention but it seems unnecessary.  Would it matter if they defaulted to the prior smaller size, and load faster?  The song threads can be un-Godly slow to load as they are.

Ideally, we could select from a couple of preset aspect ratios, depending on the video to be embedded (say 425x350 or 622x350), but still be able to plug in custom or larger sizes as desired.      

Adding text below a video seems to work much better now than it did in the past - that's a really good improvement.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The WYSIWYG editor is really funky in Chrome. (and maybe others? I know I have experienced some of these in Firefox and IE, too)

For example....

If you click the quote box icon, you will get this:

But, if you place your cursor after the word "TEXT" and hit <Enter>, it breaks the quote box into two....

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:32:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's another interesting one....

If you quote someone, like this, and you enter your own text right below the quote box, but you make a mistake, if you hit <BackSpace> on the first letter of your text, it deletes your first letter, and then takes you up to the line above, into the quote box, rather than leaving you on your own line, below the quote box.  Int he example below, I start typing "Plus 1".  If I were to start at the "1" and hit Back Space, until I erased the "P", I would lose my line break, and my cursor would be up inside the ext box.

ETA: this one proved so difficult to create, I gave up and created a screen shot, from within the editor... it allows me to create this in the editor, but it completely breaks after the first <Submit>

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
When my quote tags get all crazy, the paintbrush icon (Clear All Formatting" doesn't seem to do what it should.  It leaves starts or ends of Divs and Spans all over.  Them if I try to quote something, it gets messy, because there are extra now tags.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Why doesn't the image set size work?
I  can enter a width, but it has no effect.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Specifics would be welcome. Feel free to email me your issues or post them here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the most ill-conceived "improvement" I've witnessed in a while, and that's saying something.

Specifics would be welcome. Feel free to email me your issues or post them here.

First of all, I need to apologize for the tone of my post.
I'm not usually like this, I haven't been myself since my sister died three weeks ago.

I have pages of downloaded smileys, animations, and symbols that I would work into my posts.
Not just funny stuff but things like pointers, arrows, hearts, etc.
Been doing this for years and went gold so that I could store them here instead of an outside host to have faster, easier access to them.

Until recently I've been able integrate them seamlessly with my text and the site icons.

Not anymore, now every one has a border around it, and some won't show the correct background color inside the box (even though they're transparent GIFs).

I'll survive, I'll dump them and figure out a better way. "The good of the many" and all that . . .
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've thought of removing the border on all locally hosted images, including media files. So your actions may be premature.

I'm working on the video issue. I'll look at this after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, I need to apologize for the tone of my post.

I'm not usually like this, I haven't been myself since my sister died three weeks ago.

I have pages of downloaded smileys, animations, and symbols that I would work into my posts.

Not just funny stuff but things like pointers, arrows, hearts, etc.

Been doing this for years and went gold so that I could store them here instead of an outside host to have faster, easier access to them.

Until recently I've been able integrate them seamlessly with my text and the site icons.

Not anymore, now every one has a border around it, and some won't show the correct background color inside the box (even though they're transparent GIFs).

I'll survive, I'll dump them and figure out a better way. "The good of the many" and all that . . .

I've thought of removing the border on all locally hosted images, including media files. So your actions may be premature.

I'm working on the video issue. I'll look at this after.
you know, he makes a great point.  I use smilies, etc... in posts often.

Consider making a working border checkbox on the image tool, that is checked by default, but can be unchecked for individual pics, if desired.

On a lighter note, I just learned what WYSIWYG stands for from one of our developers this past week.  I just assumed it was a programming thing like php/html/java/javascript/etc....
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW, I just found out about the "highlight the OP's posts" setting in personal settings.  I absolutely love it. I wonder if I am the only one?
You should consider turning it on by default for new members, or even as part of your new editor.  Old guys might learn about it, and can shut it off if they choose.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]
since you mention looking at youtube videos....  I seem to be running into an issue where people post youtube links, bu when I click on them, they give me a white page that never loads.  The only way they work for me is to pull off the alphanumeric stuff after the "/" and to go to youtube and paste the alphanumeric end of the url into youtube search

Here is one, taken from this thread....    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1749202_Friday_night_off_the_wall_music__or_anything_goes_.html&page=6#i53622847

If I remove v/IFLj1WFJmMA from the above entire url,

and then go to https://www.youtube.com and copy and paste this end portion ....  IFLj1WFJmMA into the search portion, I can find the video in the search results.

No idea what's happening, but it is recent.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The WYSIWYG Editor is getting a massive overhaul soon. It's outdated and a lot of the functions in there were removed due to abuses.
View Quote

Good. Tried using it several different times. Always go back to the classic editor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you really want to help my screen display things though... prohibit the mile long text strings (or urls) from expanding the browser window. Force them to wrap.
View Quote

All this please
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow! you aren't exaggerating at all!  Try loading this music thread.....

Amazingly faster!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright Goatboy you have proved your "Wizard level" computer skills and the videos in fact load at impressive speed.

This now brings along the question will the fix you just put in place not allow for the "video title page" still image that was on each video before clicking to play?  

Not a complaint more of a question of capability as you often have to give up something to get something.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The classic and wysiwyg editors are both being upgraded. No ETA though.

Sorry pushed the code with the video controls disabled. They are back on.
View Quote
Very nice.  You may find this WYSIWYG Editor Plugin of interest for research purposes....

has a lot of interesting improved edit features.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The code grabs the still image from youtube directly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright Goatboy you have proved your "Wizard level" computer skills and the videos in fact load at impressive speed.

This now brings along the question will the fix you just put in place not allow for the "video title page" still image that was on each video before clicking to play?  

Not a complaint more of a question of capability as you often have to give up something to get something.

Load times are incredible now compared to what they were.  Thanks for fixing that.  We hope you can find a work-around to the missing titles though.  It sucks not having them in the song threads.

We're missing the "Jump To Quoted Post" button too, if you could restore that, please.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for changing the images, GB, haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I will.

Quoted:
We're missing the "Jump To Quoted Post" button too, if you could restore that, please.
View Quote

I just caught that when I was trying to catch up in a long thread this morning. It was a little thing but I'd gotten spoiled by it.

Hope it can be brought back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there any way to have the title displayed over top of the video like it was before? I love how quickly it loads, but I find that I'm wasting as much time by clicking on videos that I wouldn't have otherwise just because I want to see what it is. If there was a title still it would be way better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1, this is annoying....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I agree, it's awful.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I really hate to bring this up again... But after browsing the site for a whole month not being able to see many of the posted images - just because I browse via SSL - really fucking sucks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I really hate to bring this up again... But after browsing the site for a whole month not being able to see many of the posted images - just because I browse via SSL - really fucking sucks
View Quote

Still missing the video titles too.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea its a minor annoyance but videos are working for me on andriod now at least.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really can not stand the lack of video titles. Even the crappy Vbulletin forums I belong to have the video titles.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1, this is annoying....

http://i62.tinypic.com/13ye5o6.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, this is annoying....

http://i62.tinypic.com/13ye5o6.jpg

IT's not even that, i just shrink the page magnification down to resolve that. I mean the uninterrupted URL's, or picture image addresses that get posted or quoted that extend one single post a mile wide while shrinking all the others to microscopic width.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Check out this thread and tell me it wouldn't be 2489268905 times better if the video name was displayed on the video. It's really, really frustrating and these are my favorite threads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1768419_Your_favorite_sad_songs_.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#46]
How soon are you going to upgrade the editor?  It is annoying as hell.
Please also bring back the ability to resize images, within the editor.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'll work on adding video titles in tomorrow.  

View Quote

THANK YOU!  Looks like you got it worked out.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I got held up a bit, but it's all good now. Glad you noticed.
View Quote

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Really appreciate that.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top