Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2014 11:20:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I disagree with your idea, but I have no way of easily showing it.

I'm just kidding, I think it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Uh......... Nope.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Worst "feature" to ever be incorporated into an online forum.  

I suggest you post several links to online forums that use this feature or a similar method of post feedback so that we can all see how much it sucks and how it turns into a sickening popularity contest.

Not Facebook.
Not Reddit.

Online discussion forums.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't keep track of "likes" and "dislikes", or "agree" and "disagree", you would save one response of "this", "+1", or whatever.

You would have a question, a response or two, and an "agree". Then you would have other people doing what we do every day in most threads...expressing their own opinion.

Or, you would have no more input and the thread author would not know how accurate the opinions given are, even with 500 views of the thread.

A certification of accuracy regarding an opinion or stated fact is not going to stifle the discussion in a thread, especially when that certification is an anonymous opinion.

As such, it brings nothing to the site except clutter. Unless you want to keep track of upvotes and downvotes. Then it becomes a popularity contest.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
A few posts up you said "it would not be cumulative", and now you are saying "a few agrees".

How are you going to count these "few agrees" that are not going to be counted?

Here's what you want.
I think it's all there. Everything that would make me want to never join that forum.
Well, everything except a like button. But they thank the hell out of you and you get goodies!!!

even they couldn't do "likes" (notice the post dates)

Edit to add;
If you are trying to eliminate dupes, good luck with that. In General Discussion dupes happen every day, and it's the same in the tech forums. Nobody looks on page two, or reads the stickies at the top of page one.

Hell, you're lucky if they even post a topic in the right forum.
Even if they do, chances are they will cross post to GD, because "Forum XYZ is slow and I know you guys can answer my question right now".

So don't try to fool yourself into thinking that an "agree" button is going to free up bandwidth by changing the noise to signal ratio.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top