Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/23/2014 9:31:32 AM EDT
Add it to the outdoors section or the armory.

Heck, we have a forum dedicated to Ruger, but nowhere to discuss the M70, etc etc

Amazed we don't already have one yet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 on it...
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
bump because it is a dang good idea.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
One month later and still a great idea!

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]
that is kind of weird, but almost anything could be used as a "hunting rifle".
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

that is kind of weird, but almost anything could be used as a "hunting rifle".
View Quote
It depends on the state, country,  and the game laws there.  For example, some states prohibit .223 for big game or semi autos for hunting.

Now, if was a poacher's forum, you may be on to something.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in for a hunting rifle forum!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
All you really need to know is Ruger M77 in .30-06.

In for a hunting rifle forum!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Hunting rifles discussion belongs in the respective "hunting" forums for the game/species for which the hunting rifle is used.

i.e. big game, deer, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
We have a 'Amazon Deal' forum now , but not one dedicated to hunting rifles.

I am beginning to take this personally.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Heck, there's still a tab under armory for the precision rifles forum. Just take that and turn it into non tactical rifles
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Heck, there's still a tab under armory for the precision rifles forum. Just take that and turn it into non tactical rifles
View Quote
Just change the forum heading.

Hmmmmm, not a bad way to sell the idea
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I've worked a number of 'Sight In Days' events at my local club, helping hunters get their rifles sighted before the season starts. What I've found from this...

Most hunters don't know jack about ballistics or their own equipment, generally.

Many of the 'hunting rifles' have old cheap Tasco and Redfield scopes that have issues, and I'd throw them away if I were them. Unserviceable (e.g.; bad, rotted seals, older greases causing internal parts to stick when adjusting, etc)

Most of the optics haven't been set up very well, had misalignment issues when made, have worked loose, have worked loose just in the course of firing 20 rounds that day, etc.

A lot of others are old guns with dirt and rust anywhere that can't be immediately seen. Warped wooden stocks. Pitted bores. Chambers that need to see a chamber brush.

There are a number of good rifles too. Quite a few. But no where near as many people that simply know the fundamentals, know their equipment very well, or know what their trajectory looks like at various ranges.

The rest, lately, have been the Axis's and American's. Quite a few of those. Watch them group two and throw one all day long.

My honest take away... there are a bunch of adults out in the woods just trying to hit something who can't call their shots. I know 'ethical kill' is sort of backwards, but that's what I'd require of myself.

Lots of stories of misses and drawn-out kills from deer hunters. Work Sight In days and you'll understand why.

And as for the rifles... generally not very well taken care of and taken out once a year. Lots of old ones, from grandpa's that passed away or something. The owners are almost never serious shooting types. Just once a year. Not sure you could make a sub forum or section out of them. Even the Precision Rifle section here pales to some of the others.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've worked a number of 'Sight In Days' events at my local club, helping hunters get their rifles sighted before the season starts. What I've found from this...

Most hunters don't know jack about ballistics or their own equipment, generally.

Many of the 'hunting rifles' have old cheap Tasco and Redfield scopes that have issues, and I'd throw them away if I were them. Unserviceable (e.g.; bad, rotted seals, older greases causing internal parts to stick when adjusting, etc)

Most of the optics haven't been set up very well, had misalignment issues when made, have worked loose, have worked loose just in the course of firing 20 rounds that day, etc.

A lot of others are old guns with dirt and rust anywhere that can't be immediately seen. Warped wooden stocks. Pitted bores. Chambers that need to see a chamber brush.

There are a number of good rifles too. Quite a few. But no where near as many people that simply know the fundamentals, know their equipment very well, or know what their trajectory looks like at various ranges.

The rest, lately, have been the Axis's and American's. Quite a few of those. Watch them group two and throw one all day long.

My honest take away... there are a bunch of adults out in the woods just trying to hit something who can't call their shots. I know 'ethical kill' is sort of backwards, but that's what I'd require of myself.

Lots of stories of misses and drawn-out kills from deer hunters. Work Sight In days and you'll understand why.

And as for the rifles... generally not very well taken care of and taken out once a year. Lots of old ones, from grandpa's that passed away or something. The owners are almost never serious shooting types. Just once a year. Not sure you could make a sub forum or section out of them. Even the Precision Rifle section here pales to some of the others.
View Quote
Look at the discussion on hunting rifles at 24hourcampfire or accuratereloading.  Guys drop NFA levels of cash into those rifles and take hunting trips whose costs rival mortgages here.

The internet is a big place.

Plus attracting hunters here give them exposure to ARs, which is a good thing.

I am a big tent sorta gun guy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Where else would I be able to discuss a CZ527 conversion to 6.5 Grendel for use hunting everything from Pdogs to Antellope to Elk?

(Currently I'm trying to decide on barrel contours. Bouncing between a Shilen #4, # 5.5, or wondering if something heavier would be better for supporting a suppressor.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ARFCOM is chock full of sub forums that hardly get any traffic.  People post questions in many of them with little or no views or responses so they cross post in GD because that is where the traffic is.  

I don't think adding new sub forums is a good thing, it really gobbles up bandwidth.
View Quote
We have sub forums that have nothing to do with shooting.

Dump them instead.

It's not like I am asking for a sub forum for pets or scuba diving….oh wait, we already have those.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dump them instead.

It's not like I am asking for a sub forum for pets or scuba diving….oh wait, we already have those.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFCOM is chock full of sub forums that hardly get any traffic.  People post questions in many of them with little or no views or responses so they cross post in GD because that is where the traffic is.  

I don't think adding new sub forums is a good thing, it really gobbles up bandwidth.

Dump them instead.

We currently have a Precision Rifle subforum in the Armory Forum in which all of the topics still exist but tell you that the topic has been moved. So the bandwidth is being gobbled up anyways. We'd just like to do something useful with it.

If you're worried about clutter, fold the Ruger Centerfire Rifle subforum into it as well. A nontactical rifle subforum would give people a place to talk about their Brownings, CZs, Howas, Savages, Weatherbys, and all the other manufacturers instead of limiting discussion of non tactical rifles to just Rugers and lever guns.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The other nice thing about a hunting rifle sub forum is the tech forum rules would keep the GD Disney/ PETA types out.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see just as many idiots with sightmark red-dots on their DPMS oracles that can't even get the bcg back into the upper.  Privy to all kinds in Louisiana

Not sure what either has to do with having a sub forum on this site....
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
So Bubba, since we seem to be really the only two interested we could discuss our concepts and items in this thread until or unless they decide to make a forum on it. Think of it as a trial run for the topic.

That being said, what is your favorite hunting rifle?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So Bubba, since we seem to be really the only two interested we could discuss our concepts and items in this thread until or unless they decide to make a forum on it. Think of it as a trial run for the topic.

View Quote
I have a steyr forester in 7mm08 that is a death ray. Best shot was a doe  at 380 yds.

I took a antelope at 324 which has been my best trophy shot ever

But as far as numbers, my 375H&H has taken the most game.  A trip to Arica will do that.

You?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a steyr forester in 7mm08 that is a death ray. Best shot was a doe  at 380 yds.

But as far as numbers, my 375H&H has taken the most game.  A trip to Arica will do that.

You?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You?

Well unfortunately, I'm a hunting noob, and so the only game I've taken has been taken with a shotgun. (I got my first turkey this spring in fact) But I've got a CZ 527 conversion to 6.5 grendel in the works. It will have a 20" #5.5 Shilen barrel on it, M14 threaded front sight base from SEI, and a receiver peep sight from NECG. Stock options are still up in the air. But assuming I've done my math right, and select the appropriate optic, total weight should be right at 7lb. I am *really* looking forward to seeing what I can wring out of it. I am intending to use it as a everything from P-dogs to Elk gun (pending opportunities to hunt either/both of those...)
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I was stationed in CO for five years and went elk hunting a few times.  Never connected.  A public land elk hunt with an over the counter tag is a low probability hunt.

Anyway,

Personally, I wouldn't use such a small caliber for elk.  

An out of state elk hunt is usually a very expensive ordeal, and with a small caliber such as that, you limit your shot to 'perfect' opportunities.

Personally, a 30-06 is my minimum elk caliber, but hunted with a 7 Rem Mag.

If I were going this season, I would take a 300 mag of some flavor or even a .338

I fall in the bigger bore, heavy for caliber, 2400-2800 fps velocity camp.  Pretty much the opposite of everything Roy Weatherby ever stood for.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I completely agree that using 6.5 grendel for elk would limit the number of opportunities I would have to ethically harvest an elk, but the round is still capable of doing it. The idea is that I could create a load that would duplicate the ballistics of the old 6.5x55 swede, which is a very capable moose cartridge, and have the option to use that to hunt elk, caribou, or moose. Or more appropriately, have a rifle that could be comfortably used by someone smaller than I to take that kind of game.

That being said I have both a .308 and a .30-06 that would be my go to firearms for that kind of a hunt.

The 527 in 6.5 is really my take on what a general purpose hunting rifle should be; light weight, accurate, and flexible. It should be fun to shoot by any user, and be able to ethically take even larger game without being overkill for predator and varmint hunting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Somebody say "hunting rifle"?
I'm in.

Having several, I have taken many elk with a .257 Weatherby, .308 Rem and one with a.257 WSM.
This month I bought a new Kimber .308 Mountain Ascent and am hoping to have it dialed in by November
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
So would anyone say that there is one aspect of a hunting rifle that is more important than any other? Or possibly a hierarchy of attributes?

In my mind portability and flexibility are the two most important things, followed by accuracy and terminal energy. Other attributes filter down from there.

It should be noted that this is for a general purpose hunting rifle and not a dangerous game rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Reliability is #1 IMO

Weight needs to be tailored to type of hunt, as does caliber.

And, as much as I hate to admit it, hunting accuracy is not as big a deal as some folks think.  Most hunters would be fine with a 2, perhaps even 3 MOA rifle.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#33]
True, reliability should be at the top of the list. Both mechanically and in terms of terminal performance.

My question was more of the search for a general hunting rifle, one that you would want to rely on for any game you'd care to hunt. Col. Cooper had his particular sets of attributes that eventually became the whole scout rifle concept. Admittedly mine aren't too far off from his overall, but there are some important changes due to advancements in technology between when his specs were authored and now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#34]
As far as general hunting rifles, I prefer a CRF mauser styled action.
My current favorite are Model 70s.

I do have and hunt with others, but slowly, my go to rifles are all becoming M70s.

One rifle to rule them all?

M70 in .375 H&H, no question.

Runner up for US?  Lower 48? M70 in either 30-06 or 300 Win Mag.

.338 or even a SS .375 if all of NA

SE US where I do most of my hunting? (whitetail and occ hog)

M70 in 7mm-08
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I can certainly agree with CRF taking the cake! Bonus points if DBM fed, but if not it's not a loss.

I think that the .375 H&H is certainly effective round, but I can't say that I'd consider it the 'one rifle to rule them all.' It's just too much gun for most game. I mean, sure, anything that breaks 400 lbs or has sharp claws or teeth go for it. But for the smaller categories of game; predators, varmints, even small sized deer (or at least the dog sized things that pass for deer in TX) the effectiveness of .375H&H isn't worth the increased recoil, expense, etc.

For 'one gun to rule them all' I'm going to suggest a CRF gun in .30-06. It can be found everywhere, it can be loaded for anything, and it isn't punishing for even people of smaller stature to shoot. Are there 'better' options for dangerous game? yes. Are there 'better' options for smaller game? yes. Can it do both and everything in between? yes. And that widest possible range of game combines with ease of use and acquisition puts .30-06 into the winner's slot.

But for me personally, the "one gun to rule MY guns" need only be sufficient to take moderate sized game, be light enough to carry all day, and be comfortable enough to shoot all day. For me that winds up being sub 7.5lb, magazine fed rifle chambered in something smaller than .308. 6.5 Grendel seems to have the ballistics to satisfy the game requirements, in a size category that allows the weight requirements to be met.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#36]
So I had a thought Bubba.... what would your opinion be of an Over/Under rifle in .460 SW with paradox rifling?

You could chamber .460 SW, .454, .45 LC, .45 Schofield, even .410 Shot shell. The benefit of the paradox rifling (especially if it happens to be in a removable choke format) is that it lets you deliver critter accurate rifle fire, but also lets you have something resembling an effective pattern with .410.

Think of it as an attempt at an omnibus gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So I had a thought Bubba.... what would your opinion be of an Over/Under rifle in .460 SW with paradox rifling?

You could chamber .460 SW, .454, .45 LC, .45 Schofield, even .410 Shot shell. The benefit of the paradox rifling (especially if it happens to be in a removable choke format) is that it lets you deliver critter accurate rifle fire, but also lets you have something resembling an effective pattern with .410.

Think of it as an attempt at an omnibus gun.
View Quote
That would be a handy southern rifle.

But if going to all that trouble, I would go with a SXS double rifle.

Bailey Bradshaw can do it if anybody can.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
My ideal southern gentleman's do all gun is a drilling.

16g/7x57 Mauser

You would have to handload for both the shotgun and rifle barrels to get the most out of it, but you would be set for squirrels, dove, duck, quail, whitetail deer, raccoon, fox....everything!

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#39]
SxS works well (and technically better I suppose) than an O/U, but SxS just looks so goofy in a rifle set up....

And I agree that a drilling rifle is the way to go for an omnibus gun, but the appeal of the .460/.410 set up is that there is that all ammo types can be loaded into both/either barrel. This gives you two rifle or two shotgun shots at a time, which is a significant advantage over a dual caliber rifle.

I suppose the way to do a practicality test would be to make up a barrel for a Browning High Wall and see how well that works.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Somebody say "hunting rifle"?
I'm in.

Having several, I have taken many elk with a .257 Weatherby, .308 Rem and one with a.257 WSM.
This month I bought a new Kimber .308 Mountain Ascent and am hoping to have it dialed in by November
View Quote

Ooooh.....

I started a Hunting Rifle Picture Thread in General Firearm Discussion like the penguin said.

Still think we should have a forum.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Always thought this was something that was lacking, definitely would frequent the boardr
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I want one too.  Blue steel and walnut blow my skirt up.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll put a vote in for hunting rifles, but you have to make a deal with them and add the hunting pistols forum in too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'll put a vote in for hunting rifles, but you have to make a deal with them and add the hunting pistols forum in too.
View Quote
Deal

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top