Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
FYI, in case anyone is looking to pick up a dive computer and want to future proof themselves for possible advancement into mixed gas or deco diving, Shearwater just released a new version of the Petrel firmware that had a new Nitrox/Rec mode that simplifies the computer for normal recreational diving, then with a quick switch in the settings goes into full Tec/Deco computer mode. Not only is it one of the best computers on the market, now it's even better for the rec market. I've been using a petrel for a while now even for rec dives and it beats the pants off my Vyper in every way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, in case anyone is looking to pick up a dive computer and want to future proof themselves for possible advancement into mixed gas or deco diving, Shearwater just released a new version of the Petrel firmware that had a new Nitrox/Rec mode that simplifies the computer for normal recreational diving, then with a quick switch in the settings goes into full Tec/Deco computer mode. Not only is it one of the best computers on the market, now it's even better for the rec market. I've been using a petrel for a while now even for rec dives and it beats the pants off my Vyper in every way.
View Quote

One of the guys I dive with was pitching the Petrel to me. Seems like an awesome computer for what it does but for me it seems like buying a Ferrari and only driving it in the city. I don't dive any other mixes other than air and Nitrox so that would be a wasted feature for now. I can't do deco dives where I am so there's another waste.

I was looking at the Suunto D6i with a transmitter for what I'd pay for a Petrel. I already have a D4i... I'd pass that off to my wife and let her use her Zoop as a back-up. Then I was planning on getting something on the lower price end for my back-up. It was suggested to me that if I'm getting a back-up not to have ones with conflicting algorithms. Haven't committed to anything yet... I'm keeping my options open but I like Suuntos both for their reliability and also to wear as a regular watch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The Petrel certainly isn't for everyone. If you have no plans to progress beyond recreational diving the benefit really is the visibility of the screen, the ease of battery swaps, the configurable algorithms, and the fact that it won't lock you out like a Suunto will do if you do something like blow a safety stop at the end of the week. (Super easy to do with repetitive diving)

AI isn't much more than a gimmick. Aside from the issues people have with them not functioning, you'd be an irresponsible diver if you didn't have an spg as a backup anyway. At that point, why bother with the redundancy if the primary is hardly an ideal solution to begin with. Something can definitely be said for the convenience of having it in your wrist, but I've never found unsnapping my spg from my harness to be enough of a pain to consider an AI solution. If it floats your boat, go for it, but I wouldn't base a computer purchase on whether or not it had AI.

That all being said, there's a reason there are so many choices, because everyone can find something to fit their needs, whether it's the capability or just the looks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I do like the idea of having the air on my wrist... but yes, it's just as easy to grab my SPG.

The Petrel is, as I've been told, "honest" where the Suunto is aggressively conservative in that it rounds everything up and down in the name of safety. So you do tend to get cheated out of bottom times by a Suunto.

But, the Suunto does allow for decon diving and mixed gas, and the Petrel has a lot I'll probably never use.

It's a tough call....
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The D6i doesn't really allow for real mixed gas or deco diving. It's allowable O2 settings are 21-99% only, which means for doing true mixed-gas diving it's not a good choice. It just means you can dive nitrox and add deco or bailout gas if you'd like (which realistically no rec dive will require). Of course it's not necessarily a bad thing if you never plan on running trimix in the future. It's also not a real deco computer in the sense that it only functions in "deco" once you've blown your NDL. It doesn't allow for actual planning of a deco dive, and only provides you with an ascent schedule if you accidentally go into mandatory deco. Again, if you don't ever see yourself diving with a couple tanks and planning actual deco dives, not a big deal.

The Petrel isn't so much honest as it is configurable for the style of diving and the style of decompression you plan on doing. It comes stock based on the Bühlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors. You can set it as conservatively or as liberally as you'd like, whether you prefer slow continuous decompression ascents or a more aggressive bend-and-mend approach. You can also upgrade it to VPM-B if that's what you're in to (my personal choice).

The Petrel isn't for everyone, that's for sure, but I think you're misunderstanding the capabilities of the D6i. It really doesn't provide much more capability than any of their other dive computers save the air integration and the compass. If you're looking to get more technical features you've gotta step up to the D9tx or DX computers, both of which are substantially more expensive ($1k-$1.5k). In my mind, I think you'd be better off sticking with your D4 if you're not planning on using the features of a more advanced computer.

I guess my real question is, what is driving you to upgrade your dive computer? The D6i isn't really an upgrade in terms of capability over the computer you've already got. Though I'm hardly the one to lecture about frivolous spending when it comes to burning up air underwater!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Upgrading because I can give my wife my D4i so she'll have two computers and then I'll get two new ones (I always give her my hand-me-downs).

D6i has some cooler features... and it looks cooler. Dive jewelry. LOL

I just saw this though, so I'm probably going to put my money toward getting an EtherFill 5000 Cylinder Fill System.

The Chimera Valve™ also sounds pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Hollis DG03 and love it.

Last time I went to Ginnie Springs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

hashtag jealous. I need to make it down there one of these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you're ever going to make it, let me know about a week beforehand and I'll see if we can't meet up there. It's a little pricey unless you're a cave diver, but beautiful place nonetheless. I'd like to camp out there if I get the chance, being that I'm basically the same age as most of the drunk college kids that inhabit the place on the weekends I doubt it would be too bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you're ever going to make it, let me know about a week beforehand and I'll see if we can't meet up there. It's a little pricey unless you're a cave diver, but beautiful place nonetheless. I'd like to camp out there if I get the chance, being that I'm basically the same age as most of the drunk college kids that inhabit the place on the weekends I doubt it would be too bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I might have to take you up on that if I ever get enough time off work to plan a real vacation. My ultimate goal is being 10k feet from air underneath Tulum looking at mayan sacrifices. eventually....
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hey man, just in case you didn't know, in most of those pictures, you appear to be in a cave.
View All Quotes

Ballroom @ Ginnie Springs. It's a cavern that is open to open water certified divers. What you can't see is the giant openings behind me... Trust me, fuck a cave, mmkay
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Hoping to knock out 3 dives tomorrow while in Oahu. Doing two boat dives (deep wreck, shallow reef) and one walk-in off Electric Beach. Pretty stoked. I'll be breaking 70 dives this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hoping to knock out 3 dives tomorrow while in Oahu. Doing two boat dives (deep wreck, shallow reef) and one walk-in off Electric Beach. Pretty stoked. I'll be breaking 70 dives this weekend.
View Quote

I'm so jealous!!

Teaching a public safety course this week.  Black water, entanglements, and the water temp has creeped up to a glorious 50 degrees!!

Post pictures when you are finished!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm so jealous!!

Teaching a public safety course this week.  Black water, entanglements, and the water temp has creeped up to a glorious 50 degrees!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so jealous!!

No shit!

5 months off before we went to cozumel in February, now we have to wait 'til at least mid may before anything local to dive.

UGH!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
E Beach dive was cancelled, but we did two decent boat dives. Made us realize 1) how good we;ve gotten at diving and 2) how bad it is diving with people that don't dive as much as we do. All AOW divers. Even the instructor was kicking up all kinds of sand. Guess he wasn't into the whole peak buoyancy thing.

Dove a WWII Corsair wreck, pretty cool, but people were all on top of each other and everything.
Second dive was shallow reef... I think max was about 40'. Saw a bunch of turtles though... they just hang out around here like it's nothing.

Overall it was a good day though.

We have a newer appreciation for Kwaj and our warm, zero-current water and our dive buddies that keep at a comfortable distance.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't mind shallow reef dives. One of my favorite things to do is slap a couple extra pounds of weight on the belt and just sit on the bottom (nice and gently so as not to kick up stuff), and just relax and watch what goes by. I spent an hour and a half once sitting on the (12m) bottom with a buddy watching sharks, eagle rays, turtles, and schools of barracuda swimming along. Didn't even need to hang a deco tank :)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife and daughters are scheduled for a Discover Scuba class Saturday. I'm doing a buoyancy class right after.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wife and daughters are scheduled for a Discover Scuba class Saturday. I'm doing a buoyancy class right after.
View Quote

Oldest daughter did great, the instructors said she was "a natural", the youngest did ok, especially for not having taken her ADD meds.

My wife got a bit freaked out at first, but I think she'll be ok. She settled down part of the way through. She wants to pursue it.

Buoyancy class on the other hand, pissed me off. I'm a VERY novice diver, and was easily able to do all the exercises the first time, which was good for my confidence. Getting kicked in the head, and landed on, and bumped into, etc by people that were simply unwilling to look around them or the direction they were kicking got really annoying, really fast.  None of them wearing less than $5k worth of gear.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oldest daughter did great, the instructors said she was "a natural", the youngest did ok, especially for not having taken her ADD meds.

My wife got a bit freaked out at first, but I think she'll be ok. She settled down part of the way through. She wants to pursue it.

Buoyancy class on the other hand, pissed me off. I'm a VERY novice diver, and was easily able to do all the exercises the first time, which was good for my confidence. Getting kicked in the head, and landed on, and bumped into, etc by people that were simply unwilling to look around them or the direction they were kicking got really annoying, really fast.  None of them wearing less than $5k worth of gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My teenage daughters did well in their class too, but lost interest quickly, but fortunately my wife, who was reluctant to go, became very enthusiastic about diving. Best dive buddy I could ask for! Hope they all love it!

Gotta love the mix of people in classes.  

Are you diving in AR?  I've got family near Hot Springs, so I've done Ouachita, and have heard good things about Beaver Lake, but am not sure how long the drive is from near HS to Beaver Lake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My teenage daughters did well in their class too, but lost interest quickly, but fortunately my wife, who was reluctant to go, became very enthusiastic about diving. Best dive buddy I could ask for! Hope they all love it!

Are you diving in AR?  I've got family near Hot Springs, so I've done Ouachita, and have heard good things about Beaver Lake, but am not sure how long the drive is from near HS to Beaver Lake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't done any diving here yet. We have a lot of great diving (for being inland) from what I hear.  I plan on doing a lot this summer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Saw this snorkeling today

Movie 1

Movie 2

Movie 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Very nice!

You back home?, or still on Hawaii?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You back home?, or still on Hawaii?
View Quote

Home. Hawaii doesn't hold a candle to this place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, I'm sure glad we've got that e-cig forum instead of a scuba forum. Makes it easy to find this place......
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Man, I'm sure glad we've got that e-cig forum instead of a scuba forum. Makes it easy to find this place......
View Quote

I've never understood that. We already have an outdoor forum, a scuba sub-forum addition would be easy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe you have to hit so many pages in the "suggestion forum" before it can warrant a need for it's on sub-forum.

There are a lot of sub-forums around here that make zero sense... and suggestions for even more of the same.

I'm sure there are just as many people (if not more) on this site that fly their own planes.

Then there's
- Grooming and Haberdashery
- Math And Science
- The Humidor AND The Vapers Den... Why not have a "Smoking Forum" where those can be sub-forums instead of their own groups?

Yeah... why would scuba/snorkling/freediving need it's own forum. Madness.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe you have to hit so many pages in the "suggestion forum" before it can warrant a need for it's on sub-forum.

There are a lot of sub-forums around here that make zero sense... and suggestions for even more of the same.

I'm sure there are just as many people (if not more) on this site that fly their own planes.

Then there's
- Math And Science
- The Humidor AND The Vapers Den... Why not have a "Smoking Forum" where those can be sub-forums instead of their own groups?

View Quote

You know, we could just take over one of the lesser-used forums and use it as the SCUBA forum. AR-15 Cleaning & Maintenance maybe?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd prefer it to be a General sub-forum, as opposed to a sub-forum of Outdoors.

Mainly because all the different disciplines, so to speak, withing diving. Plus, I think it'd be easier to find.

I don't know how noisy we need to be, to get a forum, but the almost 500 replies, 20 freaking pages, and 10 thousand plus reads, should send a statement.

Until then, if you see someone in another thread mention diving, makes sure to send 'em here to check in.  Squeaky wheel and all that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Itching to dive with the gopro. I may go to the Adam Brown memorial in Lake Ouachita this weekend if I can find someone to go with me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm still itching for a GoPro. Would have been better for the other day when I saw that manta ray.

Might break down when I get my tax return although I've been wanting to get a back-up computer as well.

Decisions decisions.

We should have a gear review section in our new dive for... um... nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Watch the EE. I saw a silver edition go a few days ago with a bunch of extras for 205 iirc. Gopro has 3+ black edition refurbs for 265.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd prefer it to be a General sub-forum, as opposed to a sub-forum of Outdoors.

Mainly because all the different disciplines, so to speak, withing diving. Plus, I think it'd be easier to find.

I don't know how noisy we need to be, to get a forum, but the almost 500 replies, 20 freaking pages, and 10 thousand plus reads, should send a statement.

Until then, if you see someone in another thread mention diving, makes sure to send 'em here to check in.  Squeaky wheel and all that.
View Quote

Back some many pages & views ago, I even suggested expanding it to a general watersports subforum to get more boating traffic, so to speak, if they didn't feel there was enough interest. That was before I saw that there were several fishing subs including one just for fishing boats.

We have no medical/first aid forum on a website that discusses firearms and their employment, and no scuba subforum despite quite a few divers. Yet fishing has 5 subforums, the virtual smoking and haberdashery forums are formed, and the test post forum battle for supreme moderator rages on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
At a minimum I'd like the black edition... doesn't need to be the + version.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We have no medical/first aid forum on a website that discusses firearms and their employment, and no scuba subforum despite quite a few divers. Yet fishing has 5 subforums, the virtual smoking and haberdashery forums are formed, and the test post forum battle for supreme moderator rages on.
View Quote

Makes you wonder doesn't it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

Totally unrelated, my ongoing training & practice got substantially halted & delayed due to family needs/wifey's health issues. She just had surgery again for some complications from radioactive iodine, so I'm playing Mr. Mom. Decided to at least drag my unused-by-me drysuit out for a quick check of how it's faring in storage.

Observations:
Kids think it's hilarious when Dad climbs into a bathtub full of ice cold water to check for leaks.
I have no idea how seals dated 2002 are still in such good shape, but I'm treating them as if they were made of ancient parchment until they fail.
I really hope to get a chance to train in & dive this nice and apparently barely used 11 year old TLS before either it or I delaminate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#37]
2002 seals?! Yikes!!!! I'd send it off to get the seals replaced before I actually took it to depth. I seem to remember DRIS offering decent pricing on dry suit overhauls.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
2002 seals?! Yikes!!!! I'd send it off to get the seals replaced before I actually took it to depth. I seem to remember DRIS offering decent pricing on dry suit overhauls.
View Quote

I don't intend to dive those seals anywhere but in a pool. Just debating on how much to invest in an older suit. I got it from an estate, and it reportedly had 1-2 dives before the owner died (not in the suit at the time). It looks pristine and stored properly, so I'm still inclined to get DUI or SiTech rings and eventually a P valve & pockets if I stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Um mm...you know how to check a dry suit for leaks without getting in it and getting into a tub of ice water, right?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:04:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Um mm...you know how to check a dry suit for leaks without getting in it and getting into a tub of ice water, right?

View Quote

Yes. Dilute soap solution on an inflated & sealed suit, sometimes inside-out depending on mfgr or convenience. Also bright light in dark room to trans illuminate suit to locate pinholes.

But sometimes I like to be contrarian. Also needed to see if my physique still fit into the suit. Since I was already stuffed into the thing, I figured I may as well dunk it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You know, we could just take over one of the lesser-used forums and use it as the SCUBA forum. AR-15 Cleaning & Maintenance maybe?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there's
- Math And Science

LOL. Headshot! Pick one and we shall invade. The battle goes to the swift and strong. I vote for the Grooming Forum invasion and takeover.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LOL. Headshot! Pick one and we shall invade. The battle goes to the swift and strong. I vote for the Grooming Forum invasion and takeover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there's
- Math And Science

That one is too new. We need something dusty & forgotten.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#43]
9/12 is the oldest "Last post date" I have found.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
9/12 is the oldest "Last post date" I have found.
View Quote

That wouldn't happen to be in a subforum of an industry partner, would it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I think we've established enough of a following/interest base we shouldn't accept anything less than a full-on forum.

We need stickies for too much stuff to be a sub forum at this point.

Stickies for
- Dive Pictures (keep the comments to a minimum. Nothing worse than a picture forum that you have to dig through several pages of discussion before finding a picture)
- Dive Videos (because they can be bandwidth intensive if they're youtube links)
- Dive Gear (show off your kit)
- "Welcome to diving. Now go buy..." (everyone dog pile the guy asking what's good for gear for a new diver)
- Tech/Cave (for the ninjas)

How do we bring this to Mr Goat... diplomatically?

I don't think it's a very difficult of time consuming process to add a forum on this site.

I can't find who posted it but I totally agree that going on ScubaBoard for information is like drinking from a firehouse.. or like asking "what kind of AR should I buy?" on this site?

I think it's time we push this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#46]
STAND UP FREAK OUT! CONFRONTATION!

Archery>>Target/3D

Welcome to the revolution!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think we've established enough of a following/interest base we shouldn't accept anything less than a full-on forum.

Stickies for
- Dive Pictures (keep the comments to a minimum. Nothing worse than a picture forum that you have to dig through several pages of discussion before finding a picture)
- Dive Videos (because they can be bandwidth intensive if they're youtube links)
- "Welcome to diving. Now go buy..." (everyone dog pile the guy asking what's good for gear for a new diver)

I don't think it's a very difficult of time consuming process to add a forum on this site.

I can't find who posted it but I totally agree that going on ScubaBoard for information is like drinking from a firehouse.. or like asking "what kind of AR should I buy?" on this site?

View Quote

Someone really ought to make a post in the "site suggestions" forum.

Whether or not someone drinks the DIR Kool-Aid, the use of the derogatory term "stroke" should be forbidden.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Whether or not someone drinks the DIR Kool-Aid, the use of the derogatory term "stroke" should be forbidden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stickies for

Sounds like something a stroke would say......
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stickies for

You don't know the half of it. I'm a walking rule #6 violation (always look cool). My primary has a yellow faceplate, my singles LP inflator hose is too long, and the bolt snap on my SPG is too large.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stickies for

seconded.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top