Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone else getting that 500 error zombie message when trying to view your subs list in mobile mode?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it the underlying site framework that causes it to not be compatible with tapatalk or forum runner? It seems like they plug and play into common bulletin board sites. Perhaps the fundamental work to build a mobile app could be redirected into making the site compliant with an already existing app? I know nothing about the work it takes to run this site, and am in no way criticizing or meaning to offend the admins.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it the underlying site framework that causes it to not be compatible with tapatalk or forum runner? It seems like they plug and play into common bulletin board sites. Perhaps the fundamental work to build a mobile app could be redirected into making the site compliant with an already existing app? I know nothing about the work it takes to run this site, and am in no way criticizing or meaning to offend the admins.

This site is a custom built forum, it doesn't use any of the commercial bulletin boards that are compatible with tapatalk or any of the others.  My somewhat educated guess (I have not seen the code to the site) is that it would require completely rewriting the site to make it work with them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes please
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love a mobile app as well! :)
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump

to keep this thread going...

app please
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Can we get a waiver to outsource this request to India?
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Please do the needful.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Would love an item in the Arfcom Store that would allow users to donate in user-chosen increments to support this product. It would help with speeding things along.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would love an item in the Arfcom Store that would allow users to donate in user-chosen increments to support this product. It would help with speeding things along.

Great suggestion!

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Be kind of hard to speed things along any faster with the move to Texas and all. There is probably a lot of things going on Goatboys plate right now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If you do build an app, please make sure there is one for Android as well as iOS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd pay for it.

Me too.

+2

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

X3

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been real busy and moved into site updates/upgrades. It will need to be after that. I'm guessing the site stuff will take a good 3 months of work. Assuming shot/holidays/delays it may be summer 2013 when we start on the apps.

i know youve had delays and all with the move and such,but...You've had your three months
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I can only read IM's if there are no quote trees. Drives me crazy.
Do the needful.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can only read IM's if there are no quote trees. Drives me crazy.
Do the needful.

I hit reply and then scroll.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#22]
GB please, dude, c'mon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool!

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We are working on it with the new site release.

It wont be a phone app. It will be a cross device web app. It will scale to phones, tablets, etc. and retain full functionality.

ugh.  That's really the wrong answer.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are working on it with the new site release.

It wont be a phone app. It will be a cross device web app. It will scale to phones, tablets, etc. and retain full functionality.

ugh.  That's really the wrong answer.

yea it really is

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
?

It should look and function like most apps for forums. It will have the ability to scale to larger screens and smaller screens, while being cross appliance ready. Why is that bad? It's not a mobile version of the site like we have now.

You might as well just integrate it with tapatalk and be done with it if that's the route you're going to take.

You lose all the advantages of a mobile app if you just make a different website for mobile devices. I don't need another website, I can read the site just fine on my iPhone.

You lose the ability to do notifications and directly interact with the user in the way the user expects from a mobile device if you just make a new web page.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you taken a look at the NorthEast Shooters mobile app, GB? It's pretty fucking awesome. Nothing like TT.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

It should look and function like most apps for forums. It will have the ability to scale to larger screens and smaller screens, while being cross appliance ready. Why is that bad? It's not a mobile version of the site like we have now.

You might as well just integrate it with tapatalk and be done with it if that's the route you're going to take.

You lose all the advantages of a mobile app if you just make a different website for mobile devices. I don't need another website, I can read the site just fine on my iPhone.

You lose the ability to do notifications and directly interact with the user in the way the user expects from a mobile device if you just make a new web page.

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Yep.

i'd have to agree. not that i'm the arfcom social butterfly, but it would be nice to glance at an app and get a notification that i've got an IM or a subscribed thread update. i have no idea the amount of time & effort that entails, but i'd be willing to pay for a dedicated app
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

notification that i've got an IM or a subscribed thread update.

As long as there's an off button.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

valid point. ideally you could set it like your email, to check every hour, two hours, 4, 8, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's already built into the OS -- you can disallow an app from notifying you of anything if you want, you can control exactly how an app is allowed to notify you of things, you can also turn on or off location services on a per-app basis if you want.

There's a lot of really good potential for an app based on this platform -- meetup type things for the htfs, mobile EE integration, etc.  A new mobile webpage might be nice for the three people on the planet still using blackberries and WAP phones, but it does nothing for people using a modern smartphone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's already built into the OS --

I know, I was just imagining how annoying it would be in a hot thread.

Any granularity would have to be in the app.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granularity in software is basically your ability to change settings. The more granular, the more settings and configuration options available.

I think it would have to be a little of both. IMs and such would be external notifications, and the sorting and subscribing and such would be inside the application.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't expect thread posts and bumps and such to be external notifications.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

True, good point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I just use Opera Mini to surf the full site.  It works fine and I use it more than I do on my full PC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't expect thread posts and bumps and such to be external notifications.

I would not either, though that could be a useful option -- very occasionally I'll hit the email subscribe button on a thread here because I want to follow it closely and don't have time to refresh it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have plans for an app, but I was hoping to push it off. It will be more than a forum reader, but I guess we can always start with that and just add to it.

I'll steal a MacBook and see when I can get some time to start things off...

If you just build an api, you probably wouldn't have to build the app -- there are some talented people on this forum who would probably build an app if you made an api available.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have plans for an app, but I was hoping to push it off. It will be more than a forum reader, but I guess we can always start with that and just add to it.

I'll steal a MacBook and see when I can get some time to start things off...

If you just build an api, you probably wouldn't have to build the app -- there are some talented people on this forum who would probably build an app if you made an api available.

While I'm not opposed to doing this, I do have security concerns about it. I wouldn't mind bringing someone in (when we get to Texas!) and maybe contract it out to them if I'm still swamped!

Yes, there are of course many security concerns with making an api available.  I think most of those same concerns apply to building an app.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I do contract web security work.

I can seal that API up tight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Found this while searching for an iPhone app. Worth a bump.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Color me extremely interested in an actual app, not a mobile web page (no matter how functional or aesthetically pleasing).

Notification of PMs when the app is closed, but no notification for updates to sub'd threads are two key features, along with a host of others seen in Tapatalk.

I'm willing to pay for an Android app.  :D Particularly if you need to pay someone to secure the external board API and/or write the app.  :D
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top