Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 12:27:20 PM EDT
I’m a long time full flavored bourbon drinker. A friend, who’s a big Irish whiskey fan, recently shared a bit of Jamison 12 Year old with me.  Not bad, but a little tame from what I usually drink.  I’m looking at Jamison Black Barrel or Red Breast Cask Strength as my first Irish purchase.  They seem similar to the kind of bourbon I drink.  But I got to thinking, maybe I’m missing the point.  Should I instead go with something like Green Spot or Knappogue Castle for a truer, more traditional Irish experience?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Scotch first.

You may never get to Irish.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had the cask strength, but the regular RB 12yo and Green Spot are both super smooth, almost cognac like. Might not be enough bite for you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Redbreast
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are set on Irish, I would recommend The Green Spot.  It's my go to Irish.  The Yellow Spot is not as good as The Green Spot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Scotch first.

You may never get to Irish.
View Quote
Thanks, but I really don't care for scotch after repeated attempts.  Went down the rum trail for a while too and found out I'm not a rum man either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redbreast
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
being triple distilled has it's pros and cons. It leads to a nice soft whiskey, with little influence from the original grain (think neutral grain sprits). Then using used cask from scotch and bourbon distillers, means there is little oak influence. What this makes is a light whiskey with delicate flavors. Even at higher proof it can feel almost delicate. This can be nice when not in the mood for a kick of flavor, but if you're typically a big bourbon drinker, it may feel a little lacking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks NavyIS2, I think you nailed it.  I'm going to try Redbreast and seek an more delicate experience.  I'm beginning to see that it seems to be the strength of Irish whiskey.  A good, mellow, easy sip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top