Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
Had a pleasant surprise at my favorite liquor store today.  I was offered a sample of Redemption High Rye 9 Year Old whiskey.  It’s an MGPI product with a mash-bill of 60% corn, 36% rye and 4% barley. It's barreled with minimal filtration at 54.6% ABV.  This is the first time I sampled a Redemption product.  I’m really impressed.  The nose is dark and sweet below a strong ethanol burst.  The palate is very complex and hard to describe, but excellent and enjoyable.  At 54.6% the burn is noticeable, but not unpleasant .  It coats the tongue and finishes long, spicy, and sweet.  Again, I’m very pleased with this whiskey and going back to get a bottle.  If you've had it, what's your opinion?  How about any of their other offerings?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have wondered about this bottle myself for a while now. I have seen 3 bottles sit at  a store near me now for almost 3 months, but at $92 I have been a bit hesitant. Just wondered if it was worth the money or not?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting to the bottom of my bottle of Rendezvous that I've really enjoyed. 

Wanna try the Double Rye next.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have wondered about this bottle myself for a while now. I have seen 3 bottles sit at  a store near me now for almost 3 months, but at $92 I have been a bit hesitant. Just wondered if it was worth the money or not?
View Quote
It's $79.00 here.  I'm buying a bottle just because it so unique.  It's something I'll drink once in a while just for something completely different.  I chase lots of bottles and sometimes "unique" catches my attention.  That's what this whiskey did.  I was lucky to get a sip before paying a fairly steep price.  I hope you can find a bar that has a bottle and try before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the Redemption line has been pretty solid. I think the straight rye is still my favorite.

It's all sourced from MGP, but whoever is doing to picking/blending seems to know what they're about. I'm very interested to try the wheated bourbon that is coming next--51% corn, 45% wheat, 4% malted barley. The last time we saw this mashbill was at 2 years old as 'Spirit of America' bourbon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only had one bottle of Redemption Rye. I found it hot and while not unpleasant decidedly crude and unrefined.

I returned to my standard Sazerac Rye. I might be inclined to try a higher line product, but your tasting notes portray the same things I disliked about the less expensive offering, so maybe not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top