Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2017 5:38:14 PM EDT
I've dabbling in bourbon for about a year now and want to do some exploring of vodka, gin, rum, and tequila.

I've had a Russian vodka, Stoli-something, a while back and it seemed fine as did Grey Goose. I also want to say that I've tried Beef Eater gin and again, it seemed ok. Both were in forms of martinis.

Rum and tequila, I've had some of the big names, Captain and José, in mixed drinks.

What are some good middle shelf spirits for when I want to drink them straight or mixed?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Patron Silver

Patron Anejo

Glenfiddich

The Macallan

Glenlivet

Don't mix any of those scotches with anything except maybe some ice or water.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
After all the craziness in the bourbon market, I've started exploring rum.  Huge selection of styles, proofs, ages, and countries of origin.  Tried Flor De Cana, Ron Zacapa, and Sailor Jerry's so far.  Each very different, but all good sippers.  Looking at Plantation, Appleton Estate, Pusser's Navy, and Pyrat for my next purchases.  Still learning about a whole new world of flavors and styles.  You might take a look.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the following gins mixed with tonic: Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, The Botanist. I don't delve into vodka much, but I like Stoli, Russian Standard, and Belvedere,.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have very much enjoyed the few tequila tastings I've had.  If I remember the terminology correctly, I've liked the Reposado style the most.  (I believe those are the oldest and darkest)  However, I have liked everything I've tried.  I couldn't tell you the brands, only that they were not the typical well-brands.  

Having said that, I may have to start buying some Tequila...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
botanist for gin

papa pilar for rum
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
So, right now on the shelf:

Vodka - Grey Goose
Rum - Captain Morgan Original Spiced
Gin - Beefeater
Bourbon - Bulleit
Tequila - José
Whisky - Jameson (for a friend)
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vodka - Grey Goose
Gin - Beefeater
Bourbon - Bulleit
Tequila - José
View Quote
I've made the switch to tequilas and rum, with bourbon moved from the Daily drinker to "special" occasions; easier to find and the prices haven't gotten too crazy yet.

I have a feeling it won't be long, I'm already seeing articles online about tequila.

I did manage to snag a little off both though...
Attachment Attached File

Hell, they may have shared a barrel, the Stagg is a '12, the Corazon was bottled in the beginning of '13.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've made the switch to tequilas and rum, with bourbon moved from the Daily drinker to "special" occasions; easier to find and the prices haven't gotten too crazy yet.

I have a feeling it won't be long, I'm already seeing articles online about tequila.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/2017-07-27-07-11-07-264510.JPG

Hell, they may have shared a barrel, the Stagg is a '12, the Corazon was bottled in the beginning of '13.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vodka - Grey Goose
Gin - Beefeater
Bourbon - Bulleit
Tequila - José

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/2017-07-27-07-11-07-264510.JPG

I've never heard of that Corazon before. How is it? Do you drink it straight or use as a mixer?

I still haven't opened my Beefeater. Need to figure out some mixed drinks and find some Dry Vermouth. Or some limes and tonic/juice/ I don't know what to mix it with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've never heard of that Corazon before. How is it? Do you drink it straight or use as a mixer?

I still haven't opened my Beefeater. Need to figure out some mixed drinks and find some Dry Vermouth. Or some limes and tonic/juice/ I don't know what to mix it with.
View Quote
Haven't tried it yet, but it has gotten some good marks.  I'd drink it straight, like I do with most of my tequila.

Get yourself a bartenders bible, I have a couple good ones and they break down various drinks by the primary spirit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After all the craziness in the bourbon market, I've started exploring rum.  Huge selection of styles, proofs, ages, and countries of origin.  Tried Flor De Cana, Ron Zacapa, and Sailor Jerry's so far.  Each very different, but all good sippers.  Looking at Plantation, Appleton Estate, Pusser's Navy, and Pyrat for my next purchases.  Still learning about a whole new world of flavors and styles.  You might take a look.
View Quote
I'm enjoying a pour of Ron Zacapa right now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I broke out the bottle of Beefeater and mixed it with some dry vermouth and a twist of lemon peel to make a few martinis.

First one was a 2:1 gin to dv with juice from half a lemon.

Next martini was a 50/50 of the two with a twist.

Overall not bad. Next time I'll try a lime twist or gin and juice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My current rum favorites in the sub $50 range are Ron Zacapa 23 and Zafra Master Reserve 21.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Appleton estates rum. The I think $40 bottle. Tasted really good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What are some good middle shelf spirits for when I want to drink them straight or mixed?
View Quote
I don't usually mess with Vodka except mixed girly style drinks, even then not big...    To me Even the expensive stuff taste like something my dad used to clean car parts or thin paint...  JMHO, I know others are all in...

Gin: Bombay Sapphire Not big on sipping straight Gin, I like it in a mixed drink or with juice...

Tequila: My favorites are either Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo (bottle looks like its got a crazy Agave Cactus or something blown into the bottom of it) Great for sipping.
or Dobel Maestro Diamante Tequila.  So smooth you can do shots of it, without making the tequila face afterwards ... Its really my go to for mixed drinks, sipping or shots... These two what I buy 98% of the time... 

Unless we're going pitchers of Margaritas or something, then its Jose or Sauza...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been "dabbling" in Bourbon for about 30 years now......

The good stuff is for when friends are over...."Cabin Still" is for casual drinking every evening....and it's surprisingly good....

I cannot handle the taste of any Tequila, Rum, or Vodka.......the taste, after you develop a Bourbon dependency, is simply too pharmaceutical.....unless it's incorporated into Tourist-style concoctions......strangely enough, Bombay Sapphire gin, with a twist of Key Lime or sharp Lemon, is most pleasurable....

I like a good gin martini......but only shaken....after the ice is "doused" with Vermouth.....the excess poured off....and a lemon twist w/peel thrown into the mix
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly I've been getting more and more into the fortified wines and other digestifs. Brandy doesn't have to cost much to taste amazing, same for sherry and port. Some of the latin american Pomice brandies are really interesting and super cheap even for the VSOP equivalent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Myers Dark for Rum.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#18]
The only time I branch out from bourbon is to drink Scotch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried any rye whiskey yet?

Even simple Dickel Rye @ $25 is a good inexpensive pour.  Or you can make Manhattan's with it.

2 parts rye
1 part sweet vermouth
A few dashes of bitters
A cherry
I like to add a little extra cherry juice too them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top