Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
Does anyone switch to smaller bottles as you drink your whiskey to keep excess air out of the bottle?

I do not but I've been reading how some folks use smaller bottles filled to keep air out.  I've also heard of people using argon gas to displace the air when they open a bottle.

I've got a couple older bottles that I've had for 5 years or more and they are probably half full.  When I do take a pour from them, I really don't notice any difference. They are still good.

Am I missing out on flavor by not moving the whiskey to smaller bottles or using argon to purge the excess air?

Usually I drink a bottle empty in less than a year, hell most of them in less then 3 months but there are a few that I've kept longer for special occasions.

What do you do?

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't bother.  At 61, I am not going to live long enough for a half empty/well sealed bottle to deteriorate.

I usually don't let a bottle sit opened more than a year before finishing it, though.

I guess it looks cool, to inject argon into a half empty bottle.  Just not necessary, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Diminished return.

Meaning a lot of effort and expense for very little benefit.

If you are worried about missing out on flavor, I'd try things like -

Serving at the correct temperature (often lightly chilled).

A drop or two of water to "bloom" flavors. The right water (KY limestone water with bourbon for example).

Using the correct glass and sniffing each of the three layers of the glass. Taking a sip after each of the sniffs, making sure your sip coats your whole mouth, including your gums.

ETA: No need for the sniff and taste with every sip. Although you can, just don't. I use it to find those flavors that I really like in a particular whisky (works for most sipping drinks by the way) and keep looking for them as I sip it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Diminished return.

Meaning a lot of effort and expense for very little benefit.

If you are worried about missing out on flavor, I'd try things like -

Serving at the correct temperature (often lightly chilled).

A drop or two of water to "bloom" flavors. The right water (KY limestone water with bourbon for example).

Using the correct glass and sniffing each of the three layers of the glass. Taking a sip after each of the sniffs, making sure your sip coats your whole mouth, including your gums.

ETA: No need for the sniff and taste with every sip. Although you can, just don't. I use it to find those flavors that I really like in a particular whisky (works for most sipping drinks by the way) and keep looking for them as I sip it.
View Quote

Thank you for your input.

I'm not looking for ways to expand taste,  I'm mostly aware of those things.

I'm more concerned about the whiskey losing flavor / going "bad" from over exposure to the air captured in the bottle after opening.

Like I said, I've read of how people prevent this.  However,  I've never had one taste bad on my older open, half full bottles.

So, I'm just wondering if the people who do try to limit air exposure are getting a better taste or if they are wasting effort.

To me, it's probably one of those things that won't hurt anything but does it really make a difference in preserving taste?  I don't know.  That's why I'm asking what others think.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had a bottle of whiskey last long enough to even remotely go bad...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've never had a bottle of whiskey last long enough to even remotely go bad...
View Quote
Me either
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if I could have one go bad too..... can they go bad in 24 hours?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^^

Do you 2 guys even buy whiskey that costs more than $25 or is available somewhere other than the local stop and rob?

I kid - I kid.  Seriously I'm just messing with you.

I guess I'm weird then.  I occasionally buy rare / special bottles of bourbon that I only take a sip of every now and again.  For special occasions.

I just don't want them to age poorly with excessive exposure to air.

I've got open bottles with 5+ years on them with no noticeable changes.

I think I'm just going to buy a few smaller bottles to pour my half empty open bottles into to reduce air space.  Just in case.  I only have a few so...

I was kind of hoping for more discussion on the effects of air on whiskey over time but I guess it's not much of a concern.

Thanks to all that posted.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It really is a concern, but only for a very small percentage of collectors.

If you are doing all the other things right and you have a very highly trained palate you might find some benefit to inert gas injection. I'll readily admit I wouldn't.

However, no reason I know not to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top