Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 11:20:20 AM EDT
I have this friend, no really, he is my friend.  Anyhow, he endlessly chases rare, hard to find, limited release, etc whiskey / wine.  Sometimes paying thousands of dollars.  He hunts and hunts and hunts and when he finally does find it he doesn't drink it.  He puts it on display for a while then stores it away.  I guess it's all about the hunt for him.  He never sells them either.  I could at least understand if he were buying and selling but he says he's not.

I'm not knocking on him.  We all have our own thing.  I just don't understand it.  If I just spent months and  a bunch of money finding something, I'd have to have at least one pour to see if my efforts were worth it.

So anyone else know people that seem to enjoy the hunt more than actually drinking it?

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally,I drank for the effect.That kind of thing baffles me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
No different than any other collector.  Personally, I would drink the stuff though.  Think of it this way....you buy a bunch of guns and shoot them.  But then you find a rare piece from 1875 that has history behind it.  You would probably make that a wall piece and never shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It's easy to end up going down this path. It takes stopping yourself and realizing what you're actually after. I ended up chasing some rarer bottles, then got mad I was collecting and decided to sell some of my rare stuff. What I had left, I started opening up and enjoying.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I've cracked open by bottle of Transnistrian brandy, but have not yet touched my North Korean rice liquor. Sometimes, I buy shit just to have it.

Nothing crazy expensive though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I sorta do that.

I collect empty whiskey bottles.

Unfortunately most of the ones I get are full so I have to drink them to collect the empty bottles.

Oh well, we all have our hobbies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's easy to end up going down this path. It takes stopping yourself and realizing what you're actually after. I ended up chasing some rarer bottles, then got mad I was collecting and decided to sell some of my rare stuff. What I had left, I started opening up and enjoying.
View Quote

I can understand getting caught up in collecting.  But..

I've also had bottles / batches that were fantastic that I hesitated to open the last one because there are no more like it ever being made.  But then I think, what good is it doing me sitting there.

For me, I'd much sooner empty that bottle with a good friend, family, etc than having it sitting there unopened.

On my death bed I want to remember the good times sharing a drink with good friends.  Not thinking, man I have 100 bottles of rare whiskey in the basement - that I never got to taste.

To each their own though. Like I said everyone has their own thing.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I sorta do that.

I collect empty whiskey bottles.

Unfortunately most of the ones I get are full so I have to drink them to collect the empty bottles.

Oh well, we all have our hobbies.
View Quote
Sad.  Real first world problem there.  

PS - I got your back if it's good scotch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

On my death bed I want to remember the good times sharing a drink with good friends.  Not thinking, man I have 100 bottles of rare whiskey in the basement - that I never got to taste.

View Quote
these are wise words that cover much more than just whiskey.
thx, TKD
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a collector, but I can certainly think of worse things to collect.  Every year the flavors vary a bit, so even collecting the same thing and having a bottle from every year could, down the road, make for a very interesting tasting.  Or just a neat collection to look at.  But really, I just think whiskey holds its value well, it's interesting to every sense, and acquiring rare bottles can be challenging and rewarding...fuck, I'm about to talk myself into collecting!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have lived by the words "life is too short to drink bad whiskey and smoke cheap cigars" ( not my words but I like them)  

Anyway I do hunt for the rare bourbons I like to drink.  I also probably buy more than I should but also know when your looking for it you will never find it so buy it when you see it. I don't sell,  but will trade occasionally for something I am missing.

All that being said this thread has helped spend some of my hard earned and I thank all of you for your help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
A year ago I would be right with ya...WTF. Then I went to a auction of a guys stuff that was a collector much like your friend.
Damn man, that stuff went for big money! I bought a rare Dom Perignon for when my mortgages are paid off but it was all I could afford.
Many of the wines went cheap for fear they were not stored well and were skunk but the whisky and Bourbon went for big money.
Bottom line was the freaking guy was dead, what good did it do him?
To eaches own, dont know if it is a investment that beats inflation or not.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bob?  Is that you?  Bro, I thought we were bros, bro?  

I admit, I have the collector bug.  Bourbon, Scotch, Cigars, Guns, and so on.  I have a lot more than I reasonably "need."  (though, I smoke/drink/use everything I buy)  But hey, it's not about need, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Here and there, I'll keep interesting or unique bottles but not many...  I buy the various spirits to drink and enjoy..

But if thats his thing, whatever floats his boat...   I guess its better than beanie babies...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I did that for a few years...had every rare bourbon from Old Fitzgerald to every PVW....over 100 bottles at home and THREE of each BTAC, etc all sealed.

Then I realized I had like $50,000 worth of whiskey in a dark cabinet in my house. So I got rid of it all and bought a nice golf cart and put the rest in savings
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I know a guy exactly like this.  I have pictures of his collection that I swore I would never share and still had to make sure the location info was turned off in my camera!  He has about 1,000 bottles and a LOT of high end stuff.  LOTS of bottles of Pappy in all of the ages up to 23 years.  Every year of the Parker's Heritage line.  I look forward to his holiday party every year because it's the only place I can taste 23 yr old Pappy!  I had to miss NYC Whiskyfest this year and next year because they keep moving it later in the year to interfere with the WV deer season, and the Van Winkle's do not go to the DC Whiskyfest that I have been to, and will go again next April.  Anyway, this guy knows he will never drink all this, but he loves the chase.  He can afford it, too, so why not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top