Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 10:33:22 PM EDT
Anyone use whiskey stones to cool drinks? I'm tired of using ice and drinks getting watered down. Guess I don't drink fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
always wondered if they worked....  seem like a good idea....  i milk mine too, and hate it getting watered down..... 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't like them .  Ended up going with the giant ice ball that takes up most of the glass.  It seems to not melt as fast as ice cubes
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn't like them .  Ended up going with the giant ice ball that takes up most of the glass.  It seems to not melt as fast as ice cubes
View Quote
I like the ice to melt some thus the ice ball works best. The flavor of the Bourbon/Whiskey changes as water is added and the ice balls will last at least three glasses or more depending on how fast you drink it. The Stones just make it cold which I like cold as well yet like the ice melting slowly better.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Who fucks up their whiskey with ice???

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Tried three kinds, didn't like any of them.  You need several of the small ones to see much effect.  The metal balls and cubes were hard on my glasses when swirling or going for the last drop.  After breaking two Glencairns, I tried the round, flat, coin shaped natural whiskey stone.  It's OK, but you have to wash it, then freeze it in a plastic bag or something to avoid picking up refrigerator odors.  The temperature drop wasn't all that much and, IMHO, not worth the bother.  Now, for my daily sipper, I put the bottle in the fridge, the glass in the freezer, and let my drink warm up in my hand.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a set of the small 1" stone cubes. They work pretty well. I usually just drink it neat, but when it's real hot out I'll chill it a little.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I hated the stones, they never really get cold, not like ice.  A friend has steel balls for cooling whiskey, and they work fine except they'll knock your teeth out.  I recommend putting the bottle in the freezer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Neat drinkers have the stones.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
They suck  
the phase change of ice really make a drastic difference in temperature that stones just can't compare to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Lowering the temperature of whiskey/whisky can really mask a lot of the flavor. Adding water through ice melt cam at least open the whiskey back up. The stones take flavor away without adding anything back.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried them.  I didn't like them.  They don't get cold enough for me.

What I do now is put the bottle in the fridge and use a double walled glass so the heat from my hands doesn't warm the glass / liquid up too fast.

For those times I use ice, I use those 2" ice ball molds.  The bigger ice doesn't seem to melt as fast and water down your drink as much .

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried them.  I didn't like them.  They don't get cold enough for me.

For those times I use ice, I use those 2" ice ball molds.  The bigger ice doesn't seem to melt as fast and water down your drink as much .

View Quote
this.

they don't get cold enough to do anything and they dont lend themselves to multiple glasses

the big ice squares of ice spheres do me good. larger surface = slower melt
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't work for me either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the steel, the actual stones and another porus shit. None of them works. What worked was keeping the whisky in freezer
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Tried them.  Did not care for them... 
I think I still have a few sets in downstairs Beverage Fridge's freezer...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Novilty that doesn't be work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Novilty that doesn't be work.
View Quote
Very truthful drunk post ^
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 1" granite cube and I like them.

A friend uses stones and he likes those.

I like cold bourbon and scotch.

Ball ice is best for room temp drink.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried using the stones and they never seemed to get cold enough for long enough to make a difference IMO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I tried using the stones and they never seemed to get cold enough for long enough to make a difference IMO.
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top