Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2017 1:50:13 PM EDT
Stopped in at small local liquor store to pick up something and cruised the whiskey isle while I was there.

Elmer T $99.99

Stagg Jr $99.99

Jefferson's Ocean $99.99

I guess someone will come along and buy it but damn.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I'm spending that much I better be getting some nice lagavulin or Ardbeg.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's always weird seeing secondary prices at retail stores. Fuck those guys. I stop buying anything from them when they do it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, some of the mom and pop liquor stores are trying to pull that same insane specialty bourbon pricing around here. Liquor laws in this state are rigged to limit competition. That is why my liquor "Want list" goes with me when we travel to a more competitive state like Florida.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Stopped in at a local store this afternoon. Used to be a bit of a hole in the wall type place until about a year and a half ago. Since then they built a nice new building at the same location down town.

Really nice store with a decent selection.

I was excited to see some Weller Old Antique on a shelf. Then I saw the price tag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stopped in at a local store this afternoon. Used to be a bit of a hole in the wall type place until about a year and a half ago. Since then they built a nice new building at the same location down town.

I was excited to see some Weller Old Antique on a shelf. Then I saw the price tag.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7376-269753.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7377-269754.JPG
View Quote

Damn,  what were they selling Blanton's for?

Here, Blanton's is $59 a bottle.   Plus, to me,  it's bigly better then weller reserve.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Store by me south of Dallas has had tons of Weller Special Reserve last few months, .75 and 1.75.  Priced cheap, maybe $30-35 for .75. Don't care for it that much.  I like the Antique 107 which they have occasionally for fairly cheap.  I've never seen a bottle of 12 year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Weller has been scarce to non existent around here for the last couple of years but I have been able to find some in another area.

I bought six bottles a few months ago for $17.99 each.

I literally LOL when I saw the $69.99 price tag. I like it but that is crazy.

I like the 107 better also but haven't seen any in a store in a couple years.

12 year old is unobtainium
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL. $19 a bottle all day here. Those people are lunatics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Weller 12 hit the Gulf Coast again.  January was the last time I saw it.  Paid $35.00 a bottle at my favorite store and $59.00 at one of several not so favorite stores.  Now my favorite store didn't get any of this run, two other stores did.  Asking price... $119.00 and $149.00.  I like Weller 12 a lot, but not that much.  Damn, Weller 12 is a screw top bourbon too!  Hard to be civil when you know the MSRP and you're a frequent customer.  Supply and demand sucks sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve paid about $100 for Jeffersons Ocean at total wine, but that’s the standard price I’ve seen it for at multiple places.

I like to many bourbons in the $30-$60 range to spend $80+ on anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Today’s installment of over priced Bourbon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
That is fucking insane!
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
I believe I was in that store last week when they only had the Antique 107.  I found Special Reserve in Soddy for $49 a couple weeks ago.  I liked it a lot at $13, but it's not worth much more than $20 to me when there are so many other good ones to try.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe I was in that store last week when they only had the Antique 107.  I found Special Reserve in Soddy for $49 a couple weeks ago.  I liked it a lot at $13, but it's not worth much more than $20 to me when there are so many other good ones to try.
View Quote
I took that photo in the liquor store near Sweeney's in Harrison.

I picked up a bottle of the 107 last week at Riley's.

I think I paid $40 which is more that I should have but just couldn't pass it up.

Would rather have the Special Reserve.

But at those prices I will have to pass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I took that photo in the liquor store near Sweeney's in Harrison.

I picked up a bottle of the 107 last week at Riley's.

I think I paid $40 which is more that I should have but just couldn't pass it up.

Would rather have the Special Reserve.

But at those prices I will have to pass.
View Quote
Yeah, that's the one.  I hit it up on the way to Carter's.  By the way, thanks for the tip a long time ago about the place by the Kroger in Dalton.  They had a good selection and good prices for the region.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the one.  I hit it up on the way to Carter's.  By the way, thanks for the tip a long time ago about the place by the Kroger in Dalton.  They had a good selection and good prices for the region.
View Quote
Yep, that is a decent liquor store. I try to get down there a few times a year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like I have a day trip to make. Any other places in NE Georgia or around Chatty I need to check out?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks like I have a day trip to make. Any other places in NE Georgia or around Chatty I need to check out?
View Quote
There is not any one really good place in Chattanooga IMO.

I like to hit different stores when I have time, sometimes you luck up on something.

Imbibe on Broad street on the south side has a good selection, prices vary.

Jax on Market has a good selections but prices tend to suck since they built a new building.

Discount Liquor Store at 7703 Old Lee Hwy, Chattanooga (near Northern Tool) is sort of a hole in the wall but the owner is cool and will talk Bourbon if they are not busy. Sometimes has something cool at less than ridicules prices.

The Liquor and Tobacco Outlet at 1339 W Walnut Ave, Dalton is the one near Kroger. Decent selection and decent prices. They get their liquor from distributors in the Atlanta market so they will sometimes have items that are not available in the Chattanooga market.

Holme's Liquor at  2205 Chattanooga Rd, Dalton has a pretty good selection but their prices are not that great.

Anybody got any suggestions in the area?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are y'all talking about Dalton, GA?

I stop for gas and food there on the way to Atlanta.  No good liquor stores in the Norcross area where I stay, so this would be a good stop for me if it is Georgia.
View Quote
Yes, it is The Liquor and Tobacco Outlet at 1339 W Walnut Ave, Dalton in a big shopping center is near Kroger.

It is not really all that big of a deal except when compared to what is routinely available in Chattanooga.

Up until about six months ago they would always have a supply of Weller Special Reserve at good prices but it has dried up there as well. Unless you get lucky.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#23]
No the Dalton store does not have a big wine selection.

I would try Imbibe liquor store on Broad street on the south side of Chattanooga.

They have a very good selection there and a decent Bourbon selection also.

Its near downtown but pretty easy find.

Imbibe
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#25]
How about these awesome prices across the country?

and there's MANY MANY MANY more
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Early times is $9.99 for a 1.75L. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell, just pick yourself up a bottle of Old Grandad 114 for $23 and call it good.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Weller Special Reserve is $26 for a 1L here. Is that good, bad, ugly?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
thats about right at MSRP
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
$26 for a 750ml or. 1.75l ?

$26 is the suggested retail for the 1.75 but all Weller products are selling well above suggested retail around here.

What part of the country?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I finally found a bottle of Weller 12yr in the wild...and for $30.   It's a good bourbon, but I honestly don't understand the hype.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I finally found a bottle of Weller 12yr in the wild...and for $30.   It's a good bourbon, but I honestly don't understand the hype.
View Quote
When the Van Winkle products became "The" Bourbon demand far exceeded supply and prices sky rocketed.

Just about every article ever written about Pappy will mention the close similarities between Pappy and Weller.

For example

As a result Weller products became more and more difficult to find and prices started to go up.

IMO Weller is a good Bourbon when you can get Old Antique for $20 or 12 year old for $30 but in most areas both are in short supply and are going for a lot more than that.

I keep hoping that some other distilled spirit becomes the hip thing to drink and all the hipsters forget about Bourbon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When the Van Winkle products became "The" Bourbon demand far exceeded supply and prices sky rocketed.

Just about every article ever written about Pappy will mention the close similarities between Pappy and Weller.

For example

As a result Weller products became more and more difficult to find and prices started to go up.

IMO Weller is a good Bourbon when you can get Old Antique for $20 or 12 year old for $30 but in most areas both are in short supply and are going for a lot more than that.

I keep hoping that some other distilled spirit becomes the hip thing to drink and all the hipsters forget about Bourbon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For example

Oh I understand why it's in demand, I just don't think it's good enough to justify the demand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have to remember this is a wheated bourbon.  Many search for the hard to get Wellers and say the same thing as they compare it to something more obtainable to them that they like.  I am a Weller junkie, but I only pay the retail price for it, which is why my wife feels I have a problem, because when I see it I buy it for a rainy day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#37]
PA sucks, been looking for Weller Reserve or 90 and can't find squat.

I finally was able to find some PVW 15yr and I'm hooked.  Wheated Bourbon = awesome.

Personally I think the PVW is worth every bit of retail price, but no way at 1200.

I tried Four Roses Single Barrel and it's much harsher.

Larceny or Maker's 46?  I know at sub $100 I'm not going to get as smooth as PVW, but I'm willing to try some.

Rebel Yell any good?
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#38]
E H Taylor small batch usually runs around $45 locally.

It is a wheated Bourbon and I really like it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
E H Taylor small batch usually runs around $45 locally.

It is a wheated Bourbon and I really like it.
View Quote
no. its mash #1. the only Taylor that was wheated was Seasoned Wood.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I bought Larceny and Maker's 46 over the weekend to give them a try.

They were both good, sweet, smooth, not as fiery, I liked them both.

Four Roses Single Barrel I didnt like.

I have Booker's, it's good, but I think I prefer the wheated bourbons now.

Rebel Yell was sold out and in PA, the Weller is lottery only.  Sucks.

Oh, I paid $60 total for both bottles, not too bad.

I think I've now switched from Macallan 12 to wheated bourbon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought Larceny and Maker's 46 over the weekend to give them a try.

They were both good, sweet, smooth, not as fiery, I liked them both.

Four Roses Single Barrel I didnt like.

I have Booker's, it's good, but I think I prefer the wheated bourbons now.

Rebel Yell was sold out and in PA, the Weller is lottery only.  Sucks.

Oh, I paid $60 total for both bottles, not too bad.

I think I've now switched from Macallan 12 to wheated bourbon.
View Quote
welcome to the wheated side, the best side.

dont bother with the rebel yell, it's gross.

if you can find an old pre-1995 rebel yell on an old old store bottom shelf somehow, now thats the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
The price of Scotch and Bourbon is only getting worse. I'm changing labels in our store all the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The price of Scotch and Bourbon is only getting worse. I'm changing labels in our store all the time.
View Quote
@somerville99

We would like to know more.  Private store or state store?  Who sets the prices?  How does the product come in?  (Standing orders, or do you have to order it on credit and wait your turn in line?)
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

This thread was my first time hearing about weller. Somehow the tiny liqour store outside where I work gets it in for 16 a bottle for special reserve. I buy as many as they have every time I can. Crazy that people pay those prices for this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247398/IMG_4846-526458.JPG

This thread was my first time hearing about weller. Somehow the tiny liqour store outside where I work gets it in for 16 a bottle for special reserve. I buy as many as they have every time I can. Crazy that people pay those prices for this stuff.
View Quote
If you think Special Reserve is good enough to buy 5 at a time, do yourself a favor and don’t buy Antique to drink. You’ll wonder why you drank SR so long.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247398/IMG_4846-526458.JPG

View Quote
I wish it was not so far to CO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you think Special Reserve is good enough to buy 5 at a time, do yourself a favor and don’t buy Antique to drink. You’ll wonder why you drank SR so long.
View Quote
I have decided that I prefer the Special Reserve over the Old Antique.

Neither is readily available around here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I ever find antique that is...
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I work part time in a private liquor store in NJ. The owners has four stores in total. State laws vary but the retail price is cost plus some mark up. Mark ups vary but 10-15% on beer, 25% on liquor, 15-30% on wine is about right. It is illegal to sell liquor below cost in my state. The retail price increases when costs do. The mark up never really changes. Some wine and liquor comes from one distributor only, they have the exclusive right to sell it. The owner can not shop around for the best price. With the fixed costs, breakage, theft, etc. liquor stores are really not that profitable. Anything being imported from Europe is increasing in price much greater than domestic stuff. A shortage of whiskey and cognac has sent the prices up and up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Got a 1L bottle of the Wellers special reserve for $19.99 last night
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top