Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2017 1:50:35 PM EDT
I just found the Wine cellar forum!
My product knowledge is fair, I drink very little, so my opinions are usually based on others, or sales trends. My knowledge is stronger on the business side of things. I represent most major brands that you can name, however, liquor is one industry that is still regulated more by the states as opposed to federally. Lots of differences state to state. Such as liquor in grocery stores in some states. not others. State run stores only in some states, lots of states laws vary county to county and so forth.

So ask away!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did it take so long for IPA to become popular in this country?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why did it take so long for IPA to become popular in this country?
View Quote
Sorry. Beer is out of my wheelhouse. We did sell Grolsch, Sierra Nevada, and some smaller brands years ago but after Grolsch and SN went to a worldwide distribution contracts we let it all go.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
when can you ship me a bottle of Pappys? any age would work.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the markup on a 1.75L Makers Mark?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Does red wine come to the store after having been stored at 55 degrees and controlled humidity, or is it in a truck in 100 degree heat like everything else?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is it so hard to find whisker Blake port wine?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
when can you ship me a bottle of Pappys? any age would work.
View Quote
Not a brand I represent, however, I will say that brands like Pappy are usually valuable for the low volume rather than their actual quality. Buffalo Trace has done a great job marketing that brand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the markup on a 1.75L Makers Mark?
View Quote
Markup for who? From Distillery to wholesaler? Hard to say. Pricing is a fluid thing. We make deals across a whole product line. Makers is part of Beam Suntory. Beam, Makers, Pinnacle Sauza, Dekuyper, and 30-40 other brands. Our business is based on a larger commitment to the whole portfolio. There is a price assigned, but not as you might think. A wholesalers price to a retailer? Again, tough to put a number on. One price for one bottle. Another for a case. 5 cases? 10? 25? 100? Typically a wholesaler must offer the same cost to everyone. Mr Costco only gets a better price because......look up in the steel at a store. They might have bought a 500 case deal. Mr Local Guy? You want the same price? Buy 500 cases.

Has MM raised their prices in recent years? Yes. Makers is aged at least 5 years, 9 months. So the bottle you bought today was probably barreled 6 years ago. So depletion have gone up 12%(just a made up number) since then? How do you control depletion? How do you slow it down and still make profit? Easy, raise prices.

I know it sounds like I am dodging the question, but I hope I answered your question.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does red wine come to the store after having been stored at 55 degrees and controlled humidity, or is it in a truck in 100 degree heat like everything else?
View Quote
Depends. The more expensive the wine, the better temperature control. Easy answer? The cheap stuff, stored at whse temp. Some large areas are cooled ( I am talking hundreds of thousands of sq. ft of floor space) and the really good stuff (think $100 and up retail) is strictly controlled. The temperature in a warehouse can be reasonable comfortable without A/C. Even in Florida. With the right ventilation and insulation it is not too bad. All of our trucks in Fl. are temperature controlled and have been for quite a few years.

The easy answer is yes, it is properly stored. Our suppliers would not allow us to mistreat their product to the point of quality loss.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
How do manufacturers/distillers/marketing companies decide where to allocate output?

How do they decide which regions of the country or which distributors get how how much of each product that is allocated.

I'm talking about products that are often in short supply and would sell quickly in any market.

For example, there has been almost zero Weller of any variety available in the Chattanooga, TN area for a couple years.

But (until very recently) I could drive down to Dalton, GA and get plenty and it was the same for a couple other brands that were scarce.

When I asked stores here and down there they both said it was due to the different distributors receiving different amounts of product.

So why the difference?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why is it so hard to find whisker Blake port wine?
View Quote
Same as Buggy whips.
Port wines are not big sellers (and I am being kind). Maybe if some Rapper would sing about it (helps Moet, for one), or some Housewives from somewhere(they did wonders for Rose'), or maybe a movie with it in the backdrop ( ever see Sideways? It put Pinot Noir on the map) it might make a resurgence. Retailers devote real estate to what turns. I know in my state, once a retailer buys it, he has a few days to decide to send it back, after that, he owns it. I am forbidden by law to take it back. So the best place to look is at the large retailers who pride themselves on a large assortment. Total Wine, Bevmo and the sort.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do manufacturers/distillers/marketing companies decide where to allocate output?
Lot's of reasons combined. Something to the effect of; want 10 cases of brand X? You gotta buy 250 cases of brand Y and 500 cases of brand Z.

How do they decide which regions of the country or which distributors get how how much of each product that is allocated.

I'm talking about products that are often in short supply and would sell quickly in any market.

For example, there has been almost zero Weller of any variety available in the Chattanooga, TN area for a couple years.

But (until very recently) I could drive down to Dalton, GA and get plenty and it was the same for a couple other brands that were scarce.

When I asked stores here and down there they both said it was due to the different distributors receiving different amounts of product.

So why the difference?

Most liquor Wholesalers in the US are still privately held and have been in business for 50-100 years. Family
businesses. Lots of relationships. this and also the formula as
described above, is a couple of examples of how the decisions are made.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
St Augustine Distillery told me that Florida has a mandatory 33%/33%/33% split from manufacturer, to distributor, to retailer from the retail price. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
St Augustine Distillery told me that Florida has a mandatory 33%/33%/33% split from manufacturer, to distributor, to retailer from the retail price. Is that correct?
View Quote
Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Do the various wholesalers/distributors tend to have exclusive rights to certain brands within their area?

Could you give a synopsis of how that generally works?

Who determines who can sell what brands and where they can sell them?

Do the same rules apply to wine and distilled spirits or are they handled differently?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depends. The more expensive the wine, the better temperature control. Easy answer? The cheap stuff, stored at whse temp. Some large areas are cooled ( I am talking hundreds of thousands of sq. ft of floor space) and the really good stuff (think $100 and up retail) is strictly controlled. The temperature in a warehouse can be reasonable comfortable without A/C. Even in Florida. With the right ventilation and insulation it is not too bad. All of our trucks in Fl. are temperature controlled and have been for quite a few years.

The easy answer is yes, it is properly stored. Our suppliers would not allow us to mistreat their product to the point of quality loss.
View Quote
Interesting...I would not have figured on that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do the various wholesalers/distributors tend to have exclusive rights to certain brands within their area?
Typically yes.
Mr Beam or Mr Tito's comes to a contractual agreement with the Wholesaler. There are 5-6 major wholesalers across the country. Also many smaller wholesalers. You can imagine how a larger wholesaler that covers multiple states (some 15-20 states or more) can craft huge contracts. Some suppliers will even commit their business to one supplier wherever they operate. Keep in mind, those contracts, like any business, stipulate performance and expectations. On both sides. For example, Mr Tito's will have a team in place (bigger states like Fl, Ca, NY, Texas especially, smaller states may share a "team") to monitor and assist. There are big chain customers and smaller independent along with everything in between that appreciate different levels of support. There is marketing, hands on sales forces, advertising and tons of other day to day operations. Grocery Stores, liquor stores, hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, country clubs....the list goes on and on. 
Generally the Distillers and Wineries themselves. Contracts with specific commitments are in place similar to many other industries.
Do the same rules apply to wine and distilled spirits or are they handled differently?
Pretty much the same.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Typically yes.
Mr Beam or Mr Tito's comes to a contractual agreement with the Wholesaler. There are 5-6 major wholesalers across the country. Also many smaller wholesalers. You can imagine how a larger wholesaler that covers multiple states (some 15-20 states or more) can craft huge contracts. Some suppliers will even commit their business to one supplier wherever they operate. Keep in mind, those contracts, like any business, stipulate performance and expectations. On both sides. For example, Mr Tito's will have a team in place (bigger states like Fl, Ca, NY, Texas especially, smaller states may share a "team") to monitor and assist. There are big chain customers and smaller independent along with everything in between that appreciate different levels of support. There is marketing, hands on sales forces, advertising and tons of other day to day operations. Grocery Stores, liquor stores, hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, country clubs....the list goes on and on. 
Generally the Distillers and Wineries themselves. Contracts with specific commitments are in place similar to many other industries.
Pretty much the same.
Interesting...Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#20]
RNDC, Premier (BB), or Southern?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there any large retailer that you find more difficult to deal with than others?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Any word about an Elijah Craig 12 year return? Perhaps as a "limited" release a la their 18, 21, 23 year expressions?

ETA: is Old Grand Dad BiB and 114 safe from discontinuation/price hikes in the immediate future?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RNDC, Premier (BB), or Southern?
View Quote
Nothing less than the best. There is no question who that is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there any large retailer that you find more difficult to deal with than others?
View Quote
Certainly, but they all have their moments. Think about it. Business typically treats their vendors much like their customers. More often the store manager sets the tone.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing less than the best. There is no question who that is.
View Quote
Still dont know....wanna tell me which accounts have allocated bourbons on the shelf in Central Florida, or not?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Still dont know....wanna tell me which accounts have allocated bourbons on the shelf in Central Florida, or not?
View Quote
Central Florida is not within my AO. If I was looking for allocated product I would go to the largest retailers. Most likely Total Wine or ABC. They would be the ones to make large commitments. 
Also, unfortunately, lots of retailers don't want to tie up a lot of dollars in inventory with a limited customer base. Dollars are made with volume. Restaurants on the other hand can buy really expensive product, Mark it up 300% (selling by the glass) and make bank. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm having my bachelor's party in a few weeks. I like wheated bourbons moreso than ones with a high rye bill. Favorites include Buffalo Trace, Maker's, and Bulleit.

What'd be a good bourbon to indulge in?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm having my bachelor's party in a few weeks. I like wheated bourbons moreso than ones with a high rye bill. Favorites include Buffalo Trace, Maker's, and Bulleit.

View Quote
I am not a drinker. So I am not a good one to ask a question like that. I have some knowledge, but not a lot of experience in flavor based opinions. I will tell you, drink what you like, not what someone else tells you to like. Wanna have some fun? Do blind taste tests with friends. Bourbon  Tequila, wine, anything. The results will be eye opening. I have be involved in them in a room of hundreds. You will be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
E H Taylor small batch or any of the Weller products.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to try these but small, rural ABC stores don't have any of the allocated bourbons.

And thank you for the idea of a tasting, OP. That sounds like it'd be a fun activity
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
@mattyvac

Florida should be able to find some Bookers in WD liquors. It has been out for about 4 months....very limited supply.

Booker's
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@mattyvac

Florida should be able to find some Bookers in WD liquors. It has been out for about 4 months....very limited supply.

Booker's
View Quote
Booker's regular? No care

Bookers Rye with the MSRP of $299.99? I will buy every single one you can find me I will drive across the state for it...Naples, Miami, Tally, Jville...anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I am looking for Rock Hill Farms and will be in FL for the fourth weekend.  I will be in the Jacksonville area.  Will I have any luck?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am looking for Rock Hill Farms and will be in FL for the fourth weekend.  I will be in the Jacksonville area.  Will I have any luck?
View Quote
Sorry, I can't help. Small obscure brands get lost in a portfolio the size of ours.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you have any insight on the Templeton Rye fiasco?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bookers Rye with the MSRP of $299.99? I will buy every single one you can find me I will drive across the state for it...Naples, Miami, Tally, Jville...anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@mattyvac

Booker's

You ask for allocated Bourbon, I deliver. Then you turn your nose up and want a Whiskey! It's like decidin' where to go out to eat with my wife.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you have any insight on the Templeton Rye fiasco?
View Quote
Not represented in my house, so I have not inside knowledge.
That being said, the brewhaha centered around an implied fact that it was distilled in Iowa. It is actually distilled at a distillery called MGP in Lawrenceville Indiana. MGP is a huge distillery that  makes lots of different brands as a co-packer. Another words they use any ingredients you want and they will custom distill it for you. Lots of "craft" brands are made this way. The same as just about anything. Green beans, washing machines, you name it. Lots of Alcoholic beverages like to have a "heritage" to wrap around their product. Pretty much all the big brands do it. Research Elijah Craig, Jeffersons, Pappy Van Winkle, and most others. It is mostly Lore and Legend, some might even call it bullshit. I call it "branding" or "marketing".
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You ask for allocated Bourbon, I deliver. Then you turn your nose up and want a Whiskey! It's like decidin' where to go out to eat with my wife.

View Quote
Bookers regular isnt allocated ... ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Winn Dixie only at this time(as far as chains are concerned).
It has been out of stock for 4 months. 3 asterisks in the on hand column= allocated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I drink cheap wine at home. My go-to used to be Barefoot Shraz but I haven't seen it in the stores for at least a year. Barefoot Cab and Pinot, sure, but no Shiraz. Is that likely an indication of a crop failure or is that a market/sales failure thing?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unfortunately, it is now. Beam was very open about their long term strategy here. They said that they would be dropping from 4-6 releases per year to 2-3. They also said the run to $100 isn't off, only delayed a while longer. This is all part of their attempt to make booker's their premium flagship over the next few years. They started with moving to the more expensive thinner base bottles, then the improved corks, then the new packaging, then the named batches. Now it is moving to essentially limited releases. What we aren't seeing is an uptick in age though, which they promised. If it gets back up into the 8-9 year territory instead of this young 6 year stuff, then it may be worth the new $68ish going rate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Winn Dixie only at this time(as far as chains are concerned).
It has been out of stock for 4 months. 3 asterisks in the on hand column= allocated.
View Quote
ABC FWS just got theirs....so not just WD. In CFL, anyway.

If you see the Booker's Rye, lmk.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Why is the market flooded with IPA's? Have we reached saturation on them yet?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why is the market flooded with IPA's? Have we reached saturation on them yet?
View Quote
Because they are easy to make, and being trendy leads to them selling well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh the stories I have about Costco's 2000 Bordeaux campaign...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I drink cheap wine at home. My go-to used to be Barefoot Shraz but I haven't seen it in the stores for at least a year. Barefoot Cab and Pinot, sure, but no Shiraz. Is that likely an indication of a crop failure or is that a market/sales failure thing?
View Quote
You are just probably just not looking in the right places. Chains allocate space by the best sellers. A brand like Barefoot just buys whatever is the best source. Shiraz could be from France, Australia (biggest source) or the US. Poke around some other chains and you will probably find it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Of course. I have no specific plans. Come on down!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are just probably just not looking in the right places. Chains allocate space by the best sellers. A brand like Barefoot just buys whatever is the best source. Shiraz could be from France, Australia (biggest source) or the US. Poke around some other chains and you will probably find it.
View Quote
I did not know this! Hahaha...  So "Barefoot Shiraz" could as easily be US or French sourced syrah as Aussie Shiraz? So much for terroir...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Admittedly, I've only checked Walmart and my local grocery store. Both used to carry the Shiraz and suddenly neither did. It's not that big a deal. I was just curious.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top