Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2017 8:04:53 PM EDT
Anybody else getting depressed with your available options?  Every time I make rounds to various liquor stores I come back a little more depressed each time.  It is always the same thing on the shelf and I want to try different bourbons but it is always the same stuff.  I see a lot of different bourbons on instagram and even posted on here but I never see them in my area and probably never will.  Can't order shit b/c for some stupid reason you can't ship spirits to Texas.  There is a website that doesn't list it as a no go but not sure what will happen if I try to order.

I have just about tried and/or bought most of what is around here.  Thought about going down to bottom shelf just to try something different.  Case in point, my last purchase yesterday was Very Old Barton BIB.  Never had it and for 14$ figured what the hell.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
We have state ran stores here, ABC stores around me don't have much bourbon volume or selection.

Very few secondary market stores I've found.

I'm going to head to Georgia and look at a big store just over the state line and I may take a trip to the bourbon trail in Kentucky for a bottle for my bachelor party and wedding.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently that law never made it to the UK or The Netherlands. I've ordered several times from Masters of Malt and stores in The NL and it comes right to my door. Only Blantons (Gold and SFTB) and 2016 Four Roses SBLE because others are cheaper here in the US. Where are you in TX? O might be able to point you in the right direction for some of the 'harder to find' bottles.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The increased demand and lack of supply can be frustrating.

It's difficult to even find 1 of my regular go tos around here consistently which is Buffalo Trace. Usually when I find it I buy 4-6 1.75 just so I can have it on hand for a while.

Weller is the same way. The Special Reserve is pretty easy to get but forget about finding the 12 yr or 107.
Fortunately found a 750 of the 107 a few weeks ago.

Total Wine told my wife yesterday they haven't had any 12 yr since 2015.
Costco liquor tells me the same.
Costco also told me they get Blantons in about once a year and those 10 bottles or so are gone that day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anybody else getting depressed with your available options?  Every time I make rounds to various liquor stores I come back a little more depressed each time.  It is always the same thing on the shelf and I want to try different bourbons but it is always the same stuff.  I see a lot of different bourbons on instagram and even posted on here but I never see them in my area and probably never will.  Can't order shit b/c for some stupid reason you can't ship spirits to Texas.  There is a website that doesn't list it as a no go but not sure what will happen if I try to order.

I have just about tried and/or bought most of what is around here.  Thought about going down to bottom shelf just to try something different.  Case in point, my last purchase yesterday was Very Old Barton BIB.  Never had it and for 14$ figured what the hell.  
View Quote
Not depressed, but I have started venturing out into different types of alchohol, i.e. tequila and rums have been my most recent purchases.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to admit to feeling the same way.

Much less selection and prices going up.

Lots of bottles of sourced whiskey being sold by marketing companies.

Might be decent whiskey but at the prices they are asking I am going to pass.

My last steady source of Weller has dried up.

I used to enjoy cruising liquor stores but it hardly seems worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not depressed, but I have started venturing out into different types of alchohol, i.e. tequila and rums have been my most recent purchases.
View Quote
I have been looking at some of those but the stores around here don't seem to have much selection on those outside of the standards.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Huh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
VOB BiB is fantastic. I ended up searching bottom shelves a while ago and found some great bottles. Bramch out into single malts. Also start actually breaking things down and reviewing them. I'm revisiting a lot of bottles and trying to go in open minded. It's helping me enjoy old bottles more than ever
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have to admit to feeling the same way.

Much less selection and prices going up.

Lots of bottles of sourced whiskey being sold by marketing companies.

Might be decent whiskey but at the prices they are asking I am going to pass.

My last steady source of Weller has dried up.

I used to enjoy cruising liquor stores but it hardly seems worth it anymore.
View Quote
This too.

Like the most recent IPA hop fad, everyone and his brother jumped on the bourbon/ whisky bandwagon and there is too much new juice out there with high price points and a flashy neo-oldtimey hipster marketing behind the label.

Not worth it to me.  Saw a bottle of bourbon I'd never seen before on the shelf with a price tag north of $60.  A little research and I discovered that the juice inside was less than 4 years old, and sourced.

I'll take a risk on a new bottle if it's priced close to $30 and has decent reviews, but a lot of these new "distilleries" are very proud of someone else's bourbon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]
once it got popular again a few years ago it pissed me off. I used to be able to get good stuff cheap since nobody knew it was good. Now I can't even get good stuff expensively, it's sold out!

I'm sure you've tried TX, which is great. I recently switched it up to Candian Club. $17 a gallon and I'm just gonna put it in mexican coke anyway, so who cares.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually that is exactly what I have done.  Been trying various rums as well as tequila but it is hard to give up my love for the flavor of bourbon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Apparently that law never made it to the UK or The Netherlands. I've ordered several times from Masters of Malt and stores in The NL and it comes right to my door. Only Blantons (Gold and SFTB) and 2016 Four Roses SBLE because others are cheaper here in the US. Where are you in TX? O might be able to point you in the right direction for some of the 'harder to find' bottles.
View Quote
I did see that Masters of Malt doesn't list TX as a no-go state but wasn't sure what would happen if I order.  I know what happens if you order cigars from Netherlands.

I am in Houston.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]
What are some good rums to try?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I did see that Masters of Malt doesn't list TX as a no-go state but wasn't sure what would happen if I order.  I know what happens if you order cigars from Netherlands.

I am in Houston.
View Quote
Ummmm....... You're in Houston dude.   You've never heard of the downtown spec's?

If they don't have it they will get it.  Put your order in.

My friends and I have a plan that in the event of zombie apocalypse/ SHTF we meet up there & wait it out until we run out of high end whiskey and gourmet food.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Nasa Liquors in Houston and Ly's downtown have been pretty good to me. They do some great store picks in the past including Smooth Ambler Old Scout picks. I don't live anywhere near Houston  and I've made the drive when new Old Scout picks come in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ummmm....... You're in Houston dude.   You've never heard of the downtown spec's?

If they don't have it they will get it.  Put your order in.

My friends and I have a plan that in the event of zombie apocalypse/ SHTF we meet up there & wait it out until we run out of high end whiskey and gourmet food.
View Quote
Yes but being downtown it isn't a place I frequent.  I have picked up a few good ones from there so perhaps it is time for another visit.  I haven't asked if they could order me something so thanks for that tip.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to specs downtown today and they didn't have much.  What really sucks is I was looking for Rock Hill Farms, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof or Rebel Yell 10 yr and he told me those are all allocated.  So they have a list and whoever spends the most money gets a chance at getting a bottle.

I am aware that Pappy Van Winkle and BTAC is allocated but now the new norm is to allocate anything popular.  This sucks.  I don't shop that much at Specs b/c the locations around me aren't very good.  So anything new that tends to get popular b/c it is good, I don't have much of a chance of getting it.

Edit, and the spec's downtown doesn't order shit.  They get what they get and if it isn't on the shelf then it is a list so long that unless I spend 10's of thousands, I won't see any of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
As someone who owns multiples of every allocated bourbon....it's not worth the hype right now or even worrying about it. I just sold 5 bottles and bought a Rolex...that's how 'over it' I am.

My current direction is to keep half a dozen nice allocated bottles on display on my glass shelves and keep another half dozen 'drinkers' that I enjoy underneath it and that's it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As someone who owns multiples of every allocated bourbon....it's not worth the hype right now or even worrying about it. I just sold 5 bottles and bought a Rolex...that's how 'over it' I am.

My current direction is to keep half a dozen nice allocated bottles on display on my glass shelves and keep another half dozen 'drinkers' that I enjoy underneath it and that's it.
View Quote
The "game" gets pretty exhausting. I've just been spending more time with bottles I know and love.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Best selection I've seen in AL was the Hoover store by the Galleria, though there are a couple straight down 31 from there that have a few oddballs.

Other states definitely have things we can't get, though.

IM me if you want, let me know what you're looking for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have state ran stores here, ABC stores around me don't have much bourbon volume or selection.

Very few secondary market stores I've found.

I'm going to head to Georgia and look at a big store just over the state line and I may take a trip to the bourbon trail in Kentucky for a bottle for my bachelor party and wedding.
Best selection I've seen in AL was the Hoover store by the Galleria, though there are a couple straight down 31 from there that have a few oddballs.

Other states definitely have things we can't get, though.

IM me if you want, let me know what you're looking for.
Thanks I will holler at you if I can't find something.

I've not been down there to the Hoover store/31 South stores yet. The one I've seen with the best selection has been either the one just north of Lakeview district or the one in Pell City. I've not been able to do any exhaustive research just yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top