Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2017 12:56:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I brew my own, on occasion. I can buy better, but I keep working on it. It's a hobby.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes you can make GREAT beer. As a hobby, I've learned a lot. My focus is very much on yeast these days ......
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And is it really that much better than store bought?  I was immersed in a home brew thread the other day, and lots of home brewers had some interesting opinions about the pleasures of drinking these elixirs that apparently usually contain fewer preservatives and other bits of industrial chemistry.
View Quote

I am a homebrewer and a conneseuir of commercial beers as well.
Most homebrewers cannot make beer equal to really high quality commercially produced craft beer. They lack the experience and equipment to do so. What "preservatives" are they thinking are in commercial beer? What chemicals?

I have about $400 worth of equipment, which is more than most but much less than some (like gun owners kind of). I can't replicate some of the modern hop techniques that craft brewers are using to the same degree.

Homebrewing is a fun hobby but it helps to be realistic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Homebrewing at one time took off because you could only get coors or bud type beers locally. Since the microbrewing craze has expanded the types of beers offered as well as the distribution of these beers, it is much easier to get beers that are much better than what you can brew. It has turned homebrewing into more of a hobby than a necessity than it already was.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I make my own ciders.

I have a mango and peach cider going, currently.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am a homebrewer and a conneseuir of commercial beers as well.
Most homebrewers cannot make beer equal to really high quality commercially produced craft beer. They lack the experience and equipment to do so. What "preservatives" are they thinking are in commercial beer? What chemicals?

I have about $400 worth of equipment, which is more than most but much less than some (like gun owners kind of). I can't replicate some of the modern hop techniques that craft brewers are using to the same degree.

Homebrewing is a fun hobby but it helps to be realistic.
View Quote
I will largely agree. But what I can do that is more difficult for a business is to WAIT. I bottle age my high ABV Belgians at least one year, usually two, and sometimes 3. The taste does change over time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will largely agree. But what I can do that is more difficult for a business is to WAIT. I bottle age my high ABV Belgians at least one year, usually two, and sometimes 3. The taste does change over time.
View Quote
Yes, and that's why I have a cellar with about 50 liters of commercial brews laid down to age in the bottles. I agree the taste changes over time. One of my favorite beers takes 12-15 months to fully mature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top