Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 11:00:03 PM EDT
Right now I'm drinking a fat pour of a particularly good bottle of Blantons. Why aren't they(all Blantons) this good? Blantons lays claim to the original single barrel bourbon, first introduced in 1984 and pretty much recognized anywhere folks drink bourbon. But every barrel isn't the same, the time in the wood is a little different for each barrel of the #2 distillate. The best bottles are truly grand but there have been others that just don't quite get there. After Blantons success, many others followed suit. Elmer T Lee, Rockhill Farms, EH Taylor, Four Roses, and many others. A bottle of single barrel bourbon consistently costs more than its small batch counterpart.

Is it worth it? When I buy single barrel I'm always hoping to get that great barrel, that perfect expression of the brand. A single barrel may win a competition but when you buy a bottle you might be underwhelmed. Why? Very simply, it's a different barrel than the prize winner and not quite as good. I'll continue to buy single barrel but sometimes I think it's more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

An example, EH Taylor sells both, a small batch and a single barrel. They've both kind of been hard to find lately but when available the small batch is very reasonable, around $35 and the single barrel around $55. They are both bottled at 100 proof. Many buy the single barrel believing than they're getting better bourbon but after tasting blind, I've found this isn't necessarily true. Again it depends on which barrel the single barrel came from. For the money, I've found the small batch to be the much better buy. However, batches are different too, so if you don't like this year's January batch, don't buy more from that batch and expect much difference.

THE BIGGEST ARGUMENT FOR BATCHED AND SMALL BATCHED BOURBONS. The best bourbons are batched. No argument. Pappy Van Winkle, all of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Stagg Jr, Michter's 10 and 20, the list is long and they're all batched. Not all batches are the same either. I have a great fondness for Stagg Jr but to me, the 129.7 batch is the best. I'm also a big fan of the 129 batch of EHT BP. Any Pappy fan (too rich for my blood, and actually IMO not worth what you have to pay to get it) will tell you that some years are better than others.

I'll continue to buy single barrel because I'm looking for that perfect expression of Blantons or Four Roses OESK (OMG) but don't pass on small batch. It's pricved better and can be just as good or better than it's single barrel brethren.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot the one exception for getting a great single barrel bourbon and those are single barrel selects or store picks. Stores or chains will sample various barrels and pick barrels they like. In this case if the tasters (some places go it by using several tasters) you get a much better chance of getting a great single barrel. I've had single barrel Weller Old Antique, Smooth Ambler Old Scout, and even Buffalo Trace store picks that were really well worth there price (usually just slightly higher per bottle).
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you've got it covered very well.  The best bourbon I've ever tasted was a single barrel Four Roses OBSV.  Conversely, I've been disappointed by other single barrel bottles and prefer the small batch expression of the same brand.  I was part of a brief conversation between Four Roses Master Distiller Brent Elliott and our local sommelier regarding the differences in barrels fill on the same day and sitting in the rack house next to each other.  There was a sense of amazement, amusement, and frustration in the wide variation in taste.  However, like you, if I read your post correctly, I'll continue buying the occasional single barrel pick hoping for a repeat of my OBSV experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Store Picked single barrels are often what you seek. They have the potential to turn otherwise boring bourbons (OWA, BT, JDSB) into something really impressive. I was at Jack Daniel's on saturday picking a few.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine sent me a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select picked by the Chattanooga Police Dept. If has a little metal hangtag stating as such. Apparently they're picked 6 or 7 barrels. That's Law Enforcement I can get behind.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Just picked up a bottle of the new Elijah Craig "Small Batch" last week.  The original 12 year was one of my favorites and generally a daily drinker, so I was hoping for at least something close.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The first glass was rough and not enjoyable, neither was the second and I sat the bottle aside for a couple of days before going back to it.

Word of advice, toss the first couple fingers out and let it set, but honestly at the price it is now, $34 retail, skip it; there are better bourbon out there for less.

I would have been happy to pay $34+ for the 12 to stay in production, but this iteration isn't worth the price increase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top