Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
My brain is fried. I am now humbled by what I don't know. Fwiw, the sensory evaluation course was a butt kicker!

I celebrated my last final with a 2013 Chateau Faire Le Pont Tempranillo last night. It was nice but lacking tannins that I look for in a good Tempranillo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
it is a little too young  for that...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it is a little too young  for that...
View Quote
Actually it didn't have enough. I like good tannin structure in Tempranillo. This one had virtually no astringency and was very fruit forward. If this wine were allowed to age it would be going downhill from here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on success!!  

Got a question for you. I can drink white wine until I am stupid on it. But red wine gives me a 'baseball bat to the back of the head' headache by the second sip of it. Why is that? 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Congrats on success!!  

Got a question for you. I can drink white wine until I am stupid on it. But red wine gives me a 'baseball bat to the back of the head' headache by the second sip of it. Why is that? 
View Quote
Is it across the board on EVERY SINGLE red wine you've ever had?

The biggest functional difference between reds and whites is the amount of tannins, red have alot more.

People will often blame sulfur compounds, but whites typically have higher levels than reds. I say typically, but I am convinced there are no 100% true statements in wine production.

I have gotten really bad headaches, really fast from reds, and it's typically due to allowing native malolactic fermentations to happen. The native bacterial populations can produce histamines. This is why I always, always recommend and use commercially available strains of known malolactic bacteria.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My brain is fried. I am now humbled by what I don't know. Fwiw, the sensory evaluation course was a butt kicker!
I celebrated my last final with a 2013 Chateau Faire Le Pont Tempranillo last night. It was nice but lacking tannins that I look for in a good Tempranillo.
View Quote

it will take years, even after education, to have a solid functional mastery of wine. Even then, you learn something new everyday

ETA: and its oenology, not eonology
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats on success!!  

View Quote
As supplex pointed out, it is normally the histamines that cause the headaches. Basically the same thing as allergies. Try an antihistamine next time and see if that doesn't help.

The whole "sulfides give you headaches so buy organic" was just that, organic marketing. Not based on facts...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

it will take years, even after education, to have a solid functional mastery of wine. Even then, you learn something new everyday

ETA: and its oenology, not eonology
View Quote
Told you my brain was fried! I know it is going to take a lifetime to learn this stuff, it is just humbling to start back to school at my age. I had to relearn how to learn!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it across the board on EVERY SINGLE red wine you've ever had?
View Quote
Its happened often enough with different red wines that I don't bother sampling anymore. I want to enjoy wine, not feel like I've been in the ring with Mike Tyson. 

I've run into white wines that I don't like the taste of. Mostly the sweet or dessert wines. But none that hit me like red wines. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top