Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 10:14:18 AM EDT
What are the main differences between a wheat bourbon and a rye bourbon?

I can really only tell that the heavy rye bourbons are spicy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's less than 51% corn, it's no longer legally considered bourbon - just a rye or wheat whiskey.

Rye does tend to add a spicier note, whether you're talking a bourbon with rye in the grain bill, or an all-up rye whiskey.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are the main differences between a wheat bourbon and a rye bourbon?

I can really only tell that the heavy rye bourbons are spicy.
View Quote

For me, I tend to note the spicier kick in ryes.  But, I have not had much experience outside of Whistle Pig and Templeton.  I don't dislike them, but they are never my first choice, when I want something to drink.  But, I have friends who go through WP like water.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I love wheaters, problem is - buffalo trace is really the only company to ever make a good one in recent memory and can also keep pumping them out ala the Weller line. Second problem is; they're so damn popular
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just opened my first bottle of Weller Special Reserve tonight. Now I need to look for some aged Weller.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a fair number of wheated bourbon and wheat whiskey available.  Goggle will help you there.  I'm very fond of them.  Wheat seems to mellow out the harshness of rye in bourbons.  Also it seem to increase the friut and dark sweet expressions on the palate.  Most wheat bourbon seem to have a creamer mouth feel.  Marker's Mark is the most famous (if you will) wheat bourbon.  Their Cask Strength bourbon is excellent.  If you happen upon a bottle of Weller 12...BUY IT!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a fair number of wheated bourbon and wheat whiskey available.  Goggle will help you there.  I'm very fond of them.  Wheat seems to mellow out the harshness of rye in bourbons.  Also it seem to increase the friut and dark sweet expressions on the palate.  Most wheat bourbon seem to have a creamer mouth feel.  Marker's Mark is the most famous (if you will) wheat bourbon.  Their Cask Strength bourbon is excellent.  If you happen upon a bottle of Weller 12...BUY IT!
View Quote
I did pick up a Cask Strength Maker's Mark.

Wow, it's strong. Big alcohol burn to my baby tastebuds

Added a few drops of water and it calmed down a bit. Maybe try an ice cube it next time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Bernheim wheat whiskey.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, Maker's Cast Strength is strong.  A little water will help with the burn but changes the flavor profile.  What I do is let is rest in the glass for about 10 or 20 minutes.  Helps if it's chilled too.  FYI, it gets better in the bottle over time.  Oxidation thing I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top