Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2017 12:19:15 PM EDT
So we have everyone talking about what they love and hunt for, how about something different?
What did you buy and regret?
My list.
Old tub bourbon. Only buyable at the Jim beam distillery. It's bad, real bad.
Captain Morgan loconut. It looks like a coconut and tastes like hell.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]

This for $65. I was told after the fact that only 1000 cases were produced in 2015 & it was basically a flop. Guess I can always mix it with coke if it is that bad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Jr ewing, and basil haydens. Absolutely hate them both. I've got some pricey purchases that I didn't love the way I thought I would, but still regret buying a basil haydens and the jr ewing more than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334168/IMG-20170218-132323-155899.jpg

This for $65. I was told after the fact that only 1000 cases were produced in 2015 & it was basically a flop. Guess I can always mix it with coke if it is that bad.
View Quote

I won't buy anything made in owensboro. I grew up in that town and based on the people there, I can't imagine they could ever do anything right, let alone make bourbon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I was disappointed with Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Uigeadail, after reading all the rave reviews.

I much prefer Ardbeg 10 yo, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 yo.  

That's just, like, my opinion though.

ETA: Just for the hell of it, NOT to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Four Roses single barrel. Maybe I got a bad bottle but it tastes like shit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Rittenhouse Rye BiB. The nose is great, but it just goes down hill from there. The finish is super short and dry. It has a chalky and buckwheat grain dry finish. As far as ryes are concerned, I'll stick to Sazerac and Pikesville for the time being while trying new ones every so often.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Speyburn Bradan Orach single malt.

I've been into bourbons but recently thought I'd try a Scotch. I'd read a few good reviews and thought this Speyside styleat just $21 per bottle would be an inexpensive way to try a single malt. Cant get over that to me it tastes like a good tequila... is single malt supposed to taste anywhere near like tequila?

I definitely prefer almost any bourbon to this particular Scotch. then again, maybe I need to try a better single malt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Speyburn Bradan Orach single malt.

I've been into bourbons but recently thought I'd try a Scotch. I'd read a few good reviews and thought this Speyside styleat just $21 per bottle would be an inexpensive way to try a single malt. Cant get over that to me it tastes like a good tequila... is single malt supposed to taste anywhere near like tequila?

I definitely prefer almost any bourbon to this particular Scotch. then again, maybe I need to try a better single malt.
View Quote

You need to try better scotch. (for $21 you aren't getting good scotch)

Do this in a bar, rather than buy an expensive bottle which you may not like.

Try a single malt ........ not a blend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Four Roses single barrel. Maybe I got a bad bottle but it tastes like shit.
View Quote

I actually prefer the small batch to the single barrel.

Mine was Mitchers. No where near worth what they charge for it. Good thing i got it on sale.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You need to try better scotch. (for $21 you aren't getting good scotch)

Do this in a bar, rather than buy an expensive bottle which you may not like.

Try a single malt ........ not a blend.
View Quote

Sounds like great advice and a good reason to head to a local watering hole soon. What are a couple recommended Scotch's to start with? I know I like bourbon (mid price point ranges mostly) but dont want to miss out on or ignore other styles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like great advice and a good reason to head to a local watering hole soon. What are a couple recommended Scotch's to start with? I know I like bourbon (mid price point ranges mostly) but dont want to miss out on or ignore other styles.
View Quote

I like Islay scotches, which some think taste like an infusion of road tar in Listerine mouthwash, so I'll leave the recommendations to others.

If you're brave, ask for Laphroaig Quarter Cask (or 10 yo) Ardbeg 10 yo, or Lagavulin 16 yo.

Let us know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I so wanted to like  Laphroaig, enjoy Macallan 12 and many bourbons however the Islay style just isn't me.  Old kerosene in a dirty jar that sat on a dock for months was my impression.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I've not bought much, being a fairly new at swilling bourbon.

I think my only mistake so far has been the Old Forester. It finishes like an old cherry flavored medicine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've not bought much, being a fairly new at swilling bourbon.

I think my only mistake so far has been the Old Forester. It finishes like an old cherry flavored medicine.
View Quote
I like the 1920.  I hate high proof bourbons, so the fact that I like it says a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top