Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 6:35:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Globalist.

Hibiki is one of my favorites. I haven't tried Nikka. Which one is good?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had Hibiki and Iwai.

I really like Hibiki.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to admit that I have never tried Japanese whiskey.

Living in Kentucky, I haven't managed to try all of the brands made in the Commonwealth.

Though several of those Kentucky bourbons are made by a Japanese company.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Nikka Coffey Grain. Picked up a bottle of Hibiki Japanese Harmony last month but I haven't opened it yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked this up, but haven't tried it yet.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like the hibiki 12 and the yamazaki 12. I tried the japanese harmony a few months ago and it wasn't doing it for me. The Taketsuru pure malt 17 can still be found pretty regularly and it (and the 21) really blew me away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I do 

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've only had yamazaki 12 and loved it. Time to try some more.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not me, even though I'm surrounded by them. I'm more of a bourbon fan, and have yet to find a Japanese whisky that isn't a scotch clone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Sammy Davis Jr. does.

1974 - Suntory Whisky, 'Sammy Davis Jr ad libs
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I had some hibiki in london and it was really smooth.

They sell it at the county liquor store now
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not a big scotch guy but that Hakashu 12 is pretty damn good.  I have a bottle of Hibiki Harmony but haven't opened it yet.  I have been on the look out for the others but probably hard to come by here in Texas.  I am taking about the Hibiki 12,17 & 21 as well as the Yamazaki's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not me, even though I'm surrounded by them. I'm more of a bourbon fan, and have yet to find a Japanese whisky that isn't a scotch clone.
View Quote
I think that's what I like about them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not a big scotch guy but that Hakashu 12 is pretty damn good.  I have a bottle of Hibiki Harmony but haven't opened it yet.  I have been on the look out for the others but probably hard to come by here in Texas.  I am taking about the Hibiki 12,17 & 21 as well as the Yamazaki's.
View Quote

Had some Hibiki 12 on an ANA flight to Tokyo a few years back.  I was quite pleased with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If it's not a dumb question, which one is the most like single malt scotch? (or are they all?)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's not a dumb question, which one is the most like single malt scotch? (or are they all?)
View Quote

They are all generally made in the same style as single malts (100% malted barley, used cask, more gradual temp changes). Maybe it's due to the elevation, and cooler temperatures for some of the distilleries, but I've always found Japanese whiskies to be very soft, and having a lot of citrus notes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are all generally made in the same style as single malts (100% malted barley, used cask, more gradual temp changes). Maybe it's due to the elevation, and cooler temperatures for some of the distilleries, but I've always found Japanese whiskies to be very soft, and having a lot of citrus notes.
View Quote

Thank you.

I like the ones from Islay, so I have been hesitant to try "Japanese Scotch" but I may try it first from a bar rather than buying a bottle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Just did a tasting with the suntory rep of;

Yamasaki 12
Yamasaki 18
Hibiki 12
Hakushu 12
Hakushu 18

....and bowmore mizinura cask

Yamasaki 18 won the show
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thank you.

I like the ones from Islay, so I have been hesitant to try "Japanese Scotch" but I may try it first from a bar rather than buying a bottle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Another Islay man!  Our club is growing!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just did a tasting with the suntory rep of;

Yamasaki 12
Yamasaki 18
Hibiki 12
Hakushu 12
Hakushu 18

....and bowmore mizinura cask

Yamasaki 18 won the show
View Quote

What's Japanese for "holy fucking shit!!!"?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Another Islay man!  Our club is growing!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I try to keep at least one bottle in stock at all times.  I haven't opened this one up yet.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Recommend you guys with the old stuff hang on to it or hoard it when you see it.  Two years ago I was in Japan and picked up a Nikka Taketsuru 21 year Pure Malt for about 6,000 yen (about $60 USD, maybe less).  Last year I went back and sold out everywhere.  I found a private seller who wanted 60,000 yen (about $600 USD).
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I love the Hibiki, I've been pushing that stuff for ages it seems like now...it's just so totally un-offensive and pleasant, a wonderful whisky to offer guests.  That tiny lick of honey flavor to it...love it.

Yamazaki?  Not to my taste.  At all.  There's also a cheaper offering, tall square-ish bottle, think it starts with an N.  Also not a fan of that one.

So I'll stick with my Islay label for now, and hit Japan up for Hibiki or on someone's recommendation, but 1 for 3 isn't going to inspire any more un-guided tours.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a crappy bottle of Suntory in my liquor cabinet.

It doesn't make the cut.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Recommend you guys with the old stuff hang on to it or hoard it when you see it.  Two years ago I was in Japan and picked up a Nikka Taketsuru 21 year Pure Malt for about 6,000 yen (about $60 USD, maybe less).  Last year I went back and sold out everywhere.  I found a private seller who wanted 60,000 yen (about $600 USD).
View Quote

Not surprising.  Japan has been working on un-aged whisky for years as a way to meet demand.  Hibiki Japanese Harmony is a product of that experimentation.  The aged stuff is certainly going to gain value as the stockpile diminishes.

Me personally...I drink it, not into investing or collecting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It doesn't make the cut.
View Quote

Suntory is the parent company, I think they own most of the distilleries in Japan and quite a few in Scotland.

You'll need to narrow that down a tad.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Suntory is the parent company, I think they own most of the distilleries in Japan and quite a few in Scotland.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't make the cut.

Well, it's been on the back shelf for a decade or more... I'd have to dig it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, it's been on the back shelf for a decade or more... I'd have to dig it out.
View Quote

Might be something interesting! Pull it out and snag a picture for us if you would?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Never tried it, but I'd like to. What can I expect to pay for some entry level stuff?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never tried it, but I'd like to. What can I expect to pay for some entry level stuff?
View Quote
It's comparable to bourbon and slightly less than Scotch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I definitely like to keep it more in the $30-60 price range so I'll keep my eye out next time I hit the store.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I definitely like to keep it more in the $30-60 price range so I'll keep my eye out next time I hit the store.
View Quote

Most of the 12 years (considered the base bottlings for many) are around $70-$80 now a days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most of the 12 years (considered the base bottlings for many) are around $70-$80 now a days.
View Quote

Dang, guess I'll be waiting for a special occasion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

really.   Hmmm
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I work for a Japanese company, and they are always trying to impress me with a new whisky. Most I have tasted were good but not amazing. I'm more of a Souchu guy myself.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I work for a Japanese company, and they are always trying to impress me with a new whisky. Most I have tasted were good but not amazing. I'm more of a Souchu guy myself.
View Quote
The more Shucho you drink, the better it tastes, especially when warmed slightly.  It is a great finisher for a uuuuuuge sushi and sashimi meal. 

Honestly, I have never tried Japanese whisky.  All the folks I knew over there drank Jack Daniels.  I like the Jack quite a bit myself.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Might be something interesting! Pull it out and snag a picture for us if you would?
View Quote

The only writing in English on the bottle (it's a small bottle) says "Suntory Whisky 17 years old, a harmonious blend of specially aged whiskies with a mature, full bodied taste" and "Hibiki".  It was a gift.

I drank about 2 fingers of it more than a decade ago and wasn't impressed, but I'm tempted to give it another go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife is out of town and just texted me a pic of a bottle she got for me 

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I had a bacon cheeseburger, a beer and another whiskey for dinner so my palate might be a bit off tonight. But this seems to be a real complex whiskey. I definitely like it!

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well I had a bacon cheeseburger, a beer and another whiskey for dinner so my palate might be a bit off tonight. But this seems to be a real complex whiskey. I definitely like it!

http://i63.tinypic.com/30dl820.jpg
View Quote

I've not heard of this one yet. I may have to track down a bar with it and try a pour.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought a bottle of the Nikka Coffey Grain last night.  I'll report back when I open it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top