Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2017 11:30:01 AM EDT
Interested in getting a DE razor.  I've used electric all my adult life.

Not sure where to start - Looking at the Merkur 34C from West Coast Shaving., but no idea really.

No head or body shaving - just trying to keep a clean face.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Check these folks out.
It's where I get all my stuff.
Over the years I have found that there just is not a whole lot of difference in the shave you get between a $40 razor and a $200 razor.
Quality blades, brushes and soap make all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!  I'll bookmark the site.

I ordered a  $30 Merkur 23c, couple packs of blades, a badger brush, and some cream.  We'll see how it goes.

Had a 5 day growth of stubble after a fishing trip - my electric didn't like it.  I scrapped it all off with my wife's leg razor (simple cartridge 3 blade thing) and got a better shave first pass than I get using my top end Norelco.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Your next quest will be to find the right blade for you, everyone finds blades that work and don't work for them.
A sampler set is the easiest way to go. One of our members here hooked me up with a small set some time ago.
Several of the shaving sites have sample sets.
I found this website, but I've not used them or promote them but being able to buy individual blades to test out different brands seems nice.  
Hopefully other members here can comment on the website:
http://tryablade.com/
Two of the top user recommended blades are Astra Platinum and Feather, Feather are supposed to be the sharpest blade available though they
didn't work out for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I believe I'm getting 2 10 packs of Astra Platinum blades with the order.  Freebie for a first time buyer from West Coast Shaving.

I did notice on the tracking information that most of my order from West Coast Shaving is shipping from Maryland
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I know this sounds whacked out BUT the best razor I have EVER found in my life is an old pre WW2 Gillette I snagged for under $10 on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j4ahk2v91200zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F263041636233:g:H9IAAOSwstJZRG2T

IMO Gillette got it right long before WW2.

A sharp blade in one of these beats 7 blades and an aloe strip any day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I started with a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I picked up at an antique shop for $7. I still use it when time is short...otherwise I use my straight's.
I'm not familiar with the new DE's out there, but I'd like to think they are just as good. They seem to mirror the vintage razors out there.
I like the ability to adjust the Slim. Some great reading on a site called The Badger and Blade.
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Liking it so far.  Shaves nice, doesn't look like an scene out of 'Nightmare on Elm Street' when I finish.  

Takes a bit of time though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using West Coast shaving for all my products. Definitely always have some good deals, sign up for there emails and check out there line of shaving soaps. Very nice for the price. Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liking it so far.  Shaves nice, doesn't look like an scene out of 'Nightmare on Elm Street' when I finish.  

Takes a bit of time though.
View Quote
You get faster with practice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I forgot until I read a reply here, one of our members fish223 I believe offers free sample packs of blades.
You should drop him an IM.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check these folks out.
It's where I get all my stuff.
Over the years I have found that there just is not a whole lot of difference in the shave you get between a $40 razor and a $200 razor.
Quality blades, brushes and soap make all the difference in the world.
View Quote
Good people to deal with and their closeout/seconds can be a hell of a bargain. I've pieced together a couple nice razors using their blemished heads and handles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I can already see I'd like to have one that is easier to open and clean.  Holding on to the head with a a razor in it while trying to unscrew the handle seems wrong somehow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can already see I'd like to have one that is easier to open and clean.  Holding on to the head with a a razor in it while trying to unscrew the handle seems wrong somehow.
View Quote
The "turn to open" style like the Gillette Superspeed are intended to address that issue.  The downside is that the mechanism makes for different geometry on the head.  I've found that the flatter the head, the better the shave.  The earliest Superspeeds and adjustables had a very fat head, but the 60's changeover to the flare tip and the slim adjustable lowered it a bit.  Still not as low as an older three-piece though.

I've never cut myself changing blades on my old open comb gillette.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not that difficult or dangerous if you're careful. I found that the butterfly/silo mechanisms have far less repeat-ability and are much more likely to break or get out of adjustment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Perhaps you might consider something open-combed like a vintage Gillette New (deluxe, long or short)?  They can be found in reasonably good shape all over for about the same price as your 23c, except they are three piece and you might find them clumsy.  

Another option is to step up to a vintage Gillette Aristocrat or Senator, which are open comb twist-to-open models, although they can be more pricey.  But they would offer a solution to all your concerns, as they are well made, easy to open and clean, and the open comb helps prevent them from excess clogging and are easier to clean.  Also keeps cream on your face right up until the blade shaves the hair, which is usually not the case with safety bar designs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm getting used to it.  Amazing how much better a shave it is then the 'ol norelco.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
A way that has helped me in DE is a shower, and then use a hot wet towel on all skin surfaces that will be shaved. It helps stand the hairs up and softens the hair. My ex girlfriend thought I was crazy for putting a towel in water in a bowl in my microwave but it works or use a towel out of the dryer before it's dry. I find the towel in the water bowl works best for me. I have sensitive skin, and this has been great at reducing razor rash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top