Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 11:09:37 PM EDT
I used to be a Gillette cartridge guy a long time ago.

Got a hair and decided to jump into a straight razor. Paid the price of the learning curve, but figured it out.

Ended up with two Harts.

Then I went to DE. It's like the idiocy proof of cartridge (comparatively) but with more whiskers per pass. Cheap too.

Stayed on DE for a long time, but I've been breaking out my straight razors lately.

I think the straight razors are great for finishing, and for trims on the neck and sideburns.

I enjoy the ritual and attention a straight edge requires, but I really enjoy the simplicity and efficacy of a DE.

Where do you stand on the two more traditional shaving methods?

Any of you exclusively shave with a straight razor only?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Merkur Safety Razor. My hands are not steady enough for a straight raiser. Although I do specifically seek out Barbers here cause they are the only ones licensed for straight to shave the back of the neck.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
My grandfather was a barber, he taught me to straight shave about 35 years ago, it's all I use.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Some days, I REALLY enjoy a nice leisurely hot shave with my straights. Some days, I am tempted to grab my old electric as I just don't want to bother or don't want to spend the time.

But I resist always. Self discipline. And I always am glad I resisted, once I am actually shaving.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
do you ride a cart and buggy to work also?

www.harrys.com
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you ride a cart and buggy to work also?

www.harrys.com
View Quote
Negative,  once you start shaving with grown up razors, very few go back to kiddy razors.

MLG
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I went cartridge to straights and have also been sliding over to DEs. I think my rotation is DEs for workdays / time savings and straights for lesuire times when I want to clean up. I will not go back to cartridge razors without a gun to my head. It's not a price thing though DEs are probably still cheaper.

I use a Dovo Bismark for my straight though I'd really like to try a French tip Full hollow. I like my Merkur heavy and Gillette open comb for different reasons.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost exclusively straight here. Occasionally I'll dig out a DE but since I'm retired I have plenty of time to do the straight razor thing.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Dug out my great-grandfathers straight razors recently and sent one out for a cleaning and honing.  Looking forward to trying it.  I think.

Recently went from electric to DE, the DE is so much better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on mood and time really, but I favor both as available choices.

Feather Artist Club DX and a Merkur 38 Barber Pole

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I go back and forth.  

During the Summer months, I opt for the DE and the straight razor in the colder months when I let my beard grow a bit longer between shaves.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#11]
How many shaves do you guys get out of your DE blades?

I'm looking at getting a straight razor as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many shaves do you guys get out of your DE blades?

I'm looking at getting a straight razor as well.
View Quote
No clue.

When I made the switch a few years ago, DEs were (are) so cheap compared to cartridge blades I bought a ton of 100 packs.

The razors worked out to be about a quarter each, if memory serves.

I use them two or three times, then get a new one.

Better shave, fresher razors, cheaper cost? I was instantly sold.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Straight,  though I do have a Gillette Slim Adjustable DE that I use when in a pinch for time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top