Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
Like all things I'm looking at more options. I like my 34c razor, but maybe adjustable would be even better? Anyone here with experience between these two?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on the Merkur razors but I can on the Gillettes. I prefer the 3 piece razors over the TTO razors any day of the week. I just can't get a good shave with the TTO's. I have been practicing with one of my TTO's lately. The Gillette aggressive flare tip. It's ok but doesn't rival my Tech or New Open comb.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I think I'll stick to a simple open comb if I get a new razor. I really don't need a new one. I was just brainstorming my next possible DE razor.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the review I originally posted some time ago about a Futur knock off.  Just updated the original post today.
Ebay and Amazon has Chinese clones of the Merkur Futur for $20-$50 this thing beats the pants off of my Old Gillette.
It seems from what I've read on the internet the Merkur patent expired back in 2003 so the Chinese are cloning it in fairly large numbers.
I ordered mine from Ebay in matte black $21.93 with free shipping via Epacket from China
Ordered on Jul 9th arrived Jul 21st 2 days before their estimated Jul 23 though Aug 1st
(The ad stated: This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 11 business days.)
Loading the blade was very odd for me I'm used to twist to open of my Slim. The pry off the top seemed awkward but after a couple of times it was simple.
This razor is quite a bit heavier than my slim, I've read it weighs between 4 and 5 ounces.
As reviewed other places on the web, one example is "the shave nook" the adjustments will go past the marked #6
Another reviewer said it adjusted from mild to cheese grater so to be cautious I started with 3 and got a great shave.
Much more aggressive than my slim but with the weight it took no effort on my part just let the razor glide across my face.
The smooth handle did get a little slick when I accidentally got some soap on my hands but a quick swish in the water fixed this, I assume the true Futur has a similar problem?
My only other complaint is that as thick as the handle is I'm going to have to get another/different stand to hold it since my existing stand is too narrow.
Update to original post:
I've been using the razor for some time now.
I'll retract my "beats the pants off" and say it gives as good maybe a little better shave. But for an adjustable razor it's very good for the money.
It's very very aggressive, I've found that a setting of 2 works best for me, since it has a larger than average blade gap.
If I'm not patient and careful I will get nicks.  I did not have to replace my stand, I just simply inverted the razor and hung it by the decorative cuts in the handle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Merkur adjustable with the flesh-colored knob on the shaft.

it works pretty well; it does seem pretty aggressive, so start out on about a 1.

this one, the short handle.
merkur
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a futur and a 34C.

My experience is on its lowest setting its about as aggressive as the 34C and on highest its the most aggressive you can get before going to a straight or so I have read. Its an expensive razor and I don't use it much I prefer the 34C with wither a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow or a feather for every day use. I will break it our for special occasions where I want a super close shave, crank it up to 6 with a new feather and babies bottom smooth for a day and a half.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info after this thread and extensive reading. I decided to stick with what I have. Maybe someday I'll get different.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking to try something different, the Futur clones available thru eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress are a ridiculously good bargain. Quality is close to the level of the original, but 10% of the price.

I've bought three so far, and the most expensive one was still less than $7 shipped from China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top