Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 10:24:15 PM EDT
Normally use a DE Feather.

Tried an Astra and liked it for the first time tonight.

Anyone else compare the two?

Seems close, very nice.

No idea on holding edge.

Comments appreciated, I'm only one shave in.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I use both.  Feather a superior blade, perhaps, but less comfortable shave.  You can almost shave reckless with an Astra, by comparison to a Feather.  Feather demands respect!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Feathers as my go to blades
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have recently started wet shaving and have both blades. Being new, I have nicked myself with Feathers in those tight turns on my chin. I have not done so with the Astras. Both are great blades on my sensitive skin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have recently started wet shaving and have both blades. Being new, I have nicked myself with Feathers in those tight turns on my chin. I have not done so with the Astras. Both are great blades on my sensitive skin.
View Quote

What razor are you using ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've tried both, and as great as a blade Feathers are supposed to be, they gave me rash, and nicks galore, In
both my Gillette slim and Chinese Futur knock off.  
The Astra Platinum didn't give me a rash at all, if I'm not careful with the Futur I'll get nicks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Third shave.

Still cutting well.

Close, but not as sharp as a feather. I normally get one or maybe two small cuts, which heal by the time I'm cleaning up with the Feather. (As in already clotted, no big deal)

That being said, the feathers cut through my tough beard spots better, and with one pass.

I still love Feather, but these are nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I like astra decent shave and cheaper than feather blades last I made a purchase.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've tried both, and as great as a blade Feathers are supposed to be, they gave me rash, and nicks galore, In
both my Gillette slim and Chinese Futur knock off.  
The Astra Platinum didn't give me a rash at all, if I'm not careful with the Futur I'll get nicks.
View Quote

Blades are like razors and everyone's mileage varies. With that said I have every TTO Gillette made and don't care for any of them. I only shave with the vintage Gillette 3 piece razors with the feather blades. I couldn't get a good shave with a Slim, Fat Boy, Flare Tip, ETC... To save my life. Right now I use a 1940's Gillette New Open Comb and a 1940's Gillette Tech and I can't see me changing any time soon
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What razor are you using ?
View Quote

I am using the AS-D2 with Feathers. I also use a Merkur 34C with Astra blades but have had zero issues with the 34C. I am still in that learning curve of figuring out how to properly shave with a safety razor, especially with those Feathers. It is possible I may ditch the Feather and Feather blades altogether but only time will tell. The Feather blades feel smooth to my face but if I am not very mindful, I get a very small but pain free nick. I should have stuck to learning one razor at a time but I am hard headed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
merkur 34c here as well
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Astras more. Feathers are ok.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am using the AS-D2 with Feathers. I also use a Merkur 34C with Astra blades but have had zero issues with the 34C. I am still in that learning curve of figuring out how to properly shave with a safety razor, especially with those Feathers. It is possible I may ditch the Feather and Feather blades altogether but only time will tell. The Feather blades feel smooth to my face but if I am not very mindful, I get a very small but pain free nick. I should have stuck to learning one razor at a time but I am hard headed.
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Now that would take the fun out of it Are you taking small passes with almost no pressure ? How is your pre-prep on your face ? And are you using a good soap or cream ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Now that would take the fun out of it Are you taking small passes with almost no pressure ? How is your pre-prep on your face ? And are you using a good soap or cream ?
View Quote

Small passes, yes. Almost no pressure.........still working on that one! LOL
being mindful of the pressure I use has been the issue after YEARS of using a disposable razor. I get better daily though. I did recently buy an Above the Tie Aluminum razor with the M1 head and being that it weighs almost nothing, it has been great!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Astras are great blades and give me great shaves. Feathers didn't work for me, maybe wrong razor handle. Used a Merkur 34c and an old gilette fatboy from the 50's.

I would recommend you try pol silvers super iridium too. Great blades form me. I have tried over a dozen blades and the pols and astras are my top picks. Feathers are the sharpest no question about that.

I haven't shaved in about two years now. LOL
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Astras are my regular blade. I have a supply of Feathers and still try them from time to time. They're just too damn sharp for my face though. Astras in my 1954 Gillette Super
speed are my perfect combo. Very close, two pass shave and it's like I couldn't cut myself if I was emo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Astras are great blades and give me great shaves. Feathers didn't work for me, maybe wrong razor handle. Used a Merkur 34c and an old gilette fatboy from the 50's.

I would recommend you try pol silvers super iridium too. Great blades form me. I have tried over a dozen blades and the pols and astras are my top picks. Feathers are the sharpest no question about that.

I haven't shaved in about two years now. LOL
View Quote

Shaving is just like guns....

I actually don't care for the Super Iridium.

I think my new routine is feathers for when I let it go, astra for day to day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like astra decent shave and cheaper than feather blades last I made a purchase.
View Quote

+1  Very good blades at a decent price. Part of my rotation. Feathers are just wicked sharp, great blades, but a little overkill for me. It just depends on your face, your razor, cream/soap, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried Feather blades for the first time this week. They are definitely sharp and give a close shave. I suggest the OP check out Gillette Silver Blue if you haven't already. I had been using Astra until I tried Silver Blue about a year ago. I don't use Astras anymore. I get almost twice the number of shaves from the Gillettes and for me they're more comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Funny enough, I don't care for the Blues.

Still have a pack mostly unused.

I got more nicks with them, and I needed more passes in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Most people wouldn't think there's much difference between blades but there sure is. What works for one guy doesn't work for the next.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use both.  Feather a superior blade, perhaps, but less comfortable shave.  You can almost shave reckless with an Astra, by comparison to a Feather.  Feather demands respect!
View Quote

I agree with this, except I wouldn't call the feather superior.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I settled on astras and an Edwin jagger de89. If you dip the razor head in 91% isopropyl alcohol you will get more shaves out of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Funny enough, I don't care for the Blues.

Still have a pack mostly unused.

I got more nicks with them, and I needed more passes in my experience.
View Quote

I put the Blues and Dorcos at about the same level.
Either will give me a fair shave with 2 passes, but neither will last more than 2 shaves on a side.
I can get a week out of Feathers or Gillette 5 O'Clocks, (green box).
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I settled on astras and an Edwin jagger de89. If you dip the razor head in 91% isopropyl alcohol you will get more shaves out of them.
View Quote

Exact same combo I use......I switched from Derby blades to astras last year and couldn't be happier......feathers simply cause me too much irritation , I suspect it has something to do with angle of head on jagger ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Astras are my go to.  Can get a few shaves now ut of them and they don't pull or nick.

I tried Gillette Silver Blues the other day.  5 star reviews in Amazon and it was the worst shave I ever had.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I like both, but prefer the Astra blades better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried them both and settled on Astra SP's.  The Feather blades were too sharp.  I always got nicked with them no matter how careful I was.  The Astra SP's are sharp but more forgiving.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you  "Dipping" the razor head frequently  WHILE  shaving, or  as an after-shave  rinse for the blade's benefit  ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Feather blades that I strop briefly with a fine compound.  I get great shaves with very infrequent nicks, and minimal irritation.  I can shave pretty much every day of the week.

Prior to starting to strop the blades, I'd get a few little nicks on the first few shaves, and a little more irritation.  I think I tried Astra blades in the past and didn't like them, I guess I could give them another try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top