Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 4:43:19 PM EDT
I bought some shave oil during a trip to The Mall of America.  I have not been able to use it and feel any benefit from it.  Just curious...
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't say what kind of shave oil.
Bay rum type of treatment aftershave or actual shave oil.

I've used Shave Secret from Wall Mart for almost two years now.  I am on my third bottle.
Looks like 2oz or less eye drop bottle.
Cheap.
Compact for travel.
Less messy than anything I've tried.
Least waste as I use 6 drops per shave max.
I am on my third double edge disposable blade as well just as an experiment.  Blade is pretty well oiled still after quick rinse of hair stubble so it doesn't dull as quickly.  
Still best to shave after shower for best results.  Putting it on after just wetting face it is no better than gel in can.

I tried shave cream/paste in a tube once and it was better than most can shave cream though I really like some of the aloe gel stuff.
That may be an option comparable to the "Shave Butter" Hannity advertises.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I use some oil from some sample I got at a salon.

Just note, if you shave in the shower, OIL AND WATER ON THE FLOOR = FUCKED UP KNEE.

Just be aware, use that shit at a sink, or be real damn careful.  (I have a cement shower floor and it still slicked it up enough to twist shit.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't a bottle of canola from the grocery store do exactly the same thing at a much lower cost?

Or, for that matter, the cheapest 30weight oil you can find.

The canola might be better for sensitive skin, though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't a bottle of canola from the grocery store do exactly the same thing at a much lower cost?

View Quote

I don't think my favorite trashy talking red head would appreciate it as much as the clove oil in Shave Secret....... so I won't be going with that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think my favorite trashy talking red head would appreciate it as much as the clove oil in Shave Secret....... so I won't be going with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just press some cloves and drop them in a bottle of canola.

Probably what they are doing anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried a couple of different shave oils. I think they're junk. They give no benefit that I can tell and clog up the razor, DE or cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am currently using Taylor of Old Bond Street, Jermyn street collection cream with a badger brush and Blind Barber post shave.  I can not get the hang of the oil (The Art of Shaving) for the life of me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I use pre-shave oil daily. I can feel the difference while I'm shaving (I use a DE). When I first started I was tuning enough. I use about a nickel sized puddle.
I'm currently using Maggard's Citrus scented, and have a bottle of Mint Eucalyptus on deck. The Art of Shaving Unscented is actually really nice too. Theirs is a bit more viscous
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Jojoba oil when my face is feeling abused, I shave every day and I like alcohol splashes and even adding glycerin into the splash I can get a little dried out.

It was like 11 bucks shipped for 4oz.  If you want to get fancy with it add a little of your favorite essential oil. Jojoba won't feel overly greasy on your skin either it's very very chemically similar to the natural oil your body uses.

That will work as good or significantly better than anything you can buy from a shave company, you're just paying for the scent really.

However, be very careful if you use it in the shower, shits slick and falling on hard surfaces hurts

ETA I'm talking about using it as a moisturizing pre shave only. If you're talking about something different I've got no experience with anything else.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The spices in Shave Secret do make my whiskers stand straight up like nothing else that I have ever used. I don't get by with three drops a shave, though. I have been using four drops per cheek. It does clog up my yard sale safety razor, but it also lubes up the razor and the razor rinses fine with hot water. I give Shaving oil two thumbs up, mostly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I use EVOO before every shave and like it. Not so much for a close shave but as a conditioner for my skin whilst shaving
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I use about 3 drops of shave secret with a dab of shaving butter.  Smell is heavenly and works great.  I shave in the shower and metal cans tend to rust up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use EVOO before every shave and like it. Not so much for a close shave but as a conditioner for my skin whilst shaving
View Quote

I like the way you think !!! and yes I agree. The oil isn't for a close shave but as a part of overall skin care.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Stirling pre-shave oil - I immediately notice when I forget to use it before applying lather..
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried using Shave Secret by itself, but it was hard to see what part of my face I'd already shaved (I know...that sounds dumb). Plus it didn't really soften the whiskers.

Now I put on Shave Secret, followed by shaving cream. The Shave Secret makes for a nice, slick base, and the cream softens things up and I can easily see where I've already run the blade.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use Jojoba oil when my face is feeling abused, I shave every day and I like alcohol splashes and even adding glycerin into the splash I can get a little dried out.

It was like 11 bucks shipped for 4oz.  If you want to get fancy with it add a little of your favorite essential oil. Jojoba won't feel overly greasy on your skin either it's very very chemically similar to the natural oil your body uses.

That will work as good or significantly better than anything you can buy from a shave company, you're just paying for the scent really.

However, be very careful if you use it in the shower, shits slick and falling on hard surfaces hurts

ETA I'm talking about using it as a moisturizing pre shave only. If you're talking about something different I've got no experience with anything else.
View Quote
This. But I got a jug for $10 good for massages,  shaving,  general skin use
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I do put Shave Secret on before my regular shave creme. The creme softens the whiskers with the Shave Secret providing a nice, slick base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top