Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
If this isn't the best place for this thread, I understand.

And, I know, I know, the only way to truly shave is with your grandfather's bowie knife stropped over your well used leather gun belt while drinking whiskey and smoking a cigar.  

Now, that being said, I am beginning to explore buying an electric shaver to use on a daily basis to keep my face cleaned up between shaves.  I don't mind shaving every day, but having to chase around 1 year old boy everyday makes the possible speed, ease and convenience of using an electric shaver daily and only having to go through the whole shaving process two or three times a week appeals to me.

Has anyone found this assumption to work?  If so, do you have any suggestions?  Features/Brands to avoid?  Features/Brands that are a must? (I'd rather not spend over $200).  Am I just being lazy?

Any help would be appreciated.  Maybe I just need to be slapped back into reality.

By the way, I have been using a Merkur Classic Safety Razor with Feather Hi-Stainless platinum coated blades for the past several years with great success (no irritation), but do on occasion still cut myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried an electric razor a number of years ago. It was top of the line at the time. A Braun, one of the ones that you put in a cleaning solution on the charger.

I found that it gave me much more irritation than a blade and it was my first experience with painful, infected ingrown hairs. I also found that it took just as long to shave as with a blade.

They work for some guys but for me electric razors are garbage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Braun Series 7 FTW.

I think they're up to a series 9.  Invest in good tools, buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I tried an electric razor a number of years ago. It was top of the line at the time. A Braun, one of the ones that you put in a cleaning solution on the charger.

I found that it gave me much more irritation than a blade and it was my first experience with painful, infected ingrown hairs. I also found that it took just as long to shave as with a blade.

They work for some guys but for me electric razors are garbage.

View Quote
How long did you use it?  They take 2-3 weeks of daily use for most faces to adjust to them.  Then they're golden.  Even going from one razor to another, if you're already using an electric, can take a couple of days for your face to "adjust"

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How long did you use it?  They take 2-3 weeks of daily use for most faces to adjust to them.  Then they're golden.  Even going from one razor to another, if you're already using an electric, can take a couple of days for your face to "adjust"  
View Quote

Probably a year or so.

Don't worry, DE's are garbage for me too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I can understand chasing a 1 yr old around.  I would still find a way not to buy an electric razor.  No comparison on close.  
Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a Braun Series 7 for years.  
Big problem:  The design makes it impossible to clean the cutters.  The cleaning unit does a fair job, but not as good as you could do if you could get in there and use a brush.
Clogged cutter = crappy shave.
I bought a Panasonic ES-LA93 and it’s so much better, there’s no comparison.  You just pop the top off and brush it out.  Super close shave every time.  The trimmer isn’t my favorite, but once you get used to it, it’s OK.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Panasonic arc 4 for years now and it's the best.  Under $90 as well.

The Braun's are good as well, but you'll pay much more for very little improvement.  Norelco shavers have been getting worse and I woul avoid those.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Got an Arc 4 on order, hope it lives up to the reviews
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Panasonic ES8103S (Arc3) from amazon on April 2014 in a lighting deal for under $55 and I use it weekly on my commute to work, is it as good as a razor blade, no, but it does the job and saves me time, plus as you can see its been very reliable. I occasionally take the head apart and put it in a ultrasonic cleaner and it works great, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a Panosonic ES8243a every other day at minimum to shave my head.  Absolutely love it.  It does take a little to get your skin used to an electric though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top