Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 8:19:29 AM EDT
Like the subject says, I'm new to using a double edge.  After two days the blade feels dull.  How often, on average, do you change your blade?

Edit--double edge...very new to this
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What blade?

When I was using a DE I would toss the blade after five shaves.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My facial hair isn't exactly challenging.  I can go a week or two before tossing it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
When you don't like the cut. Some blades may be 4 shaves another may be two weeks.

Yor beard is a factor.

Eta I am using a Gillette lab blade now. 5 days is easy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I can go 10-12 shaves with most any blade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Feather or Astra here.  I usually go about 6 shaves before swapping out. I like them sharp.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
When i was shaving my astras would last me between 7 and 8 shaves.

Youll be able to feel it when they need to be tossed.
Depends a lot on your hair and how often you shave
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'll be able to feel it when they need to be tossed.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
probably a month or more, but I only shave twice a week
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Van Der Hagen razor and it came with a five pack of blades. It felt very dull this morning with the shaves. I'll go to a local habdashery this weekend to see what they have available.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
DE blades are so cheap, change them as often as you need to.
Also consider trying a couple different brands, 2 shaves is on the low end. I change mine every week, but probably could go a week and a half.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought two packs of Merkur Super blades today, hope they are even better. I also saw a bunch of razors that I want--this may become my next hobby...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Most online vendors of shaving goods offer variety packs containing different manufacturers of DE blades.  I suggest that you try some of these sample packs and see what brands you like.  Then head off to Amazon or ebay and buy them in bulk.  I got 100 Derby blades from Amazon for less than $8 delivered.  

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Just realized this is in G&H, might want to head on down to the Shaving forum!
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Sample pack--great idea!  Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
It'll differ for everyone, there is no hard and fast rule.  Change the blade when it starts tugging or shows any sign of discomfort.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh boy,  I think you want for an unknown blade to a commonly perceived as a bad blade (merkur) are not liked nearly universally.  The razors are gtg but their blades are rough.  I tried one and used the rest for stuff like slashing bread loaves before baking.   The French bread said ow.

Sample pack is a good way to test out some.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a daily shaver and I change my blade every Saturday. I have been using Gillette Silver Blue
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I get about 3 shaves with a Feather blade.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
One of my criteria for blade selection is that it go a week
Currently I buy/use 4 blades: Feather, Gillette Silver/Blue, Gillette 7 O'clock green, and Astra Super
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
These blades are laying about three days each...just like you guys said.  Considering I am in a place that takes priority mail ten days to get to, I'm going to order a pack of samples and a pack of Astra Super next. That'll give me time to try the samples and have extra blades on hand.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Feather and Astra for me also. I shave every other day and they are good for 3-4 shaves. Super sensitive skin so it helps if the edge stays sharp and consistent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
probably a month or more, but I only shave twice a week
View Quote

The same for me as well. I can grow a patchy goatee and a pretty impressive neckbeard. I keep the latter knocked down along with any sprigs that pop up on my jaw and cheeks by shaving 2x a week. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll do every other day.

Blades last a looooooong time for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I still have a bunch of samples if you want some.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These blades are laying about three days each...just like you guys said.  Considering I am in a place that takes priority mail ten days to get to, I'm going to order a pack of samples and a pack of Astra Super next. That'll give me time to try the samples and have extra blades on hand.

I still have a bunch of samples if you want some.

+1 on this !!! Fish sent me a sample pack that helped me out GREATLY !!! I settled on Feather blades and get 7 to 10 shaves before I change them out, your mileage will not be the same as everyone has different growth
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I really appreciate the offer, but due to my location, I cannot share my address. I'll have to ask my wife to order and ship to me.  

I will be sure to share some pictures when I get home. Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I've read the suggestion to dip the blade in rubbing alcohol after rinsing off, to help remove water and minerals which could cause tiny amounts of corrosion on the edge. I don't know how true this is, but I do it. I average about 4-5 shaves per blade.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've read the suggestion to dip the blade in rubbing alcohol after rinsing off, to help remove water and minerals which could cause tiny amounts of corrosion on the edge. I don't know how true this is, but I do it. I average about 4-5 shaves per blade.
View Quote

I do this with my cartridge razors and find that it extends the life. Did it when I used a DE too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I shave 3-4 times a week and change my DE blade once a week.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Persona blades.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I got some feather blades in--MUCH better!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends on the blade, your face, how heavy is your beard.  Will be as individual as fingerprints.

I recommend Personna Reds, Labs, and Med Preps, and Gillette Silver Blues and Platinum.  YM WILL V
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Those Merkurs are not much, tried one that came withmy razor and immediately tossed it and bought Feather.  I usually get 3-4 good shaves per blade.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
3 shaves and it gets replaced even if it's still cutting ok.

No need to try and squeeze as many shaves as possible out of something that costs 10 cents.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Yep.

I had a sample pack and some would last a couple of shaves and some would last a week.  I settled on Big Ben, one I never heard of before and I had low expectations for, as it turned out to last a long time and was somewhat forgiving, like a cartridge blade.  Meaning I can be sloppy with my technique and not cut the crap out of my face.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#39]
tryablade.com is a great place to get samples of blades. Try a lot of blades to find the blade that is best for you. Then buy a 100 pack on amazon or ebay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
tryablade.com is a great place to get samples of blades. Try a lot of blades to find the blade that is best for you. Then buy a 100 pack on amazon or ebay.
View Quote

That place looks like a decent deal to try out some new blades.

Here is another place from to try out some sample packs that I have tried, West Coast Shaving has the sample packs too.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-Blade-Sampler-Pack-Choice_p_20.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#41]
3-10 shaves.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep.

I had a sample pack and some would last a couple of shaves and some would last a week.  I settled on Big Ben, one I never heard of before and I had low expectations for, as it turned out to last a long time and was somewhat forgiving, like a cartridge blade.  Meaning I can be sloppy with my technique and not cut the crap out of my face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Yep.

I tried the sample pack off of one of the sites and  There were like 12 different mfgs of blades.  I just started with a pack and wrote on the front of package after a week what I thought of the blade.  I'm 2/3rds of the way through my experiment.  So far, I've found some really good blades and a few really bad ones.  YMMV. As noted above.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Gillette silver blue user, I change every two shaves or if I have more than a days growth only one use. DE blades are cheap, change as often as you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top