Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
I bought a $15 brush on Amazon last year and it works fine, however, EVERY time I use it, it sheds in my shaving bowl and face...

Maybe I could save a little money and instead of trial and error, you guys might be able to point me in the right direction for a nicer brush (I assume most brushes aren't completely prone to shedding but at least better than my example).

TIA
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you dead-set on badger? In general, for the price of a mediocre badger brush you can get a nicer boar brush.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
they all shed some, initially.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It takes time but it should stop sheding after break in. My parker stunk and shed at first and after washing it with shampoo and conditioner more then 6 times and keeping clean it sheds little now and smells like my soap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they all shed and smell a bit funky the first few months.

Mine, English badger brush, rarely sheds anymore and smells like my soap.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a badger, boar and PlissoN synthetic. I use the synthetic more !!!! It's like a big pillow rubbing on your face. Best 25 bucks spent, Sterling Kong brush !!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it helps to soak the brush in warm water for several minutes before using it- allows the bristles to get saturated with water, and makes them less brittle. Also, it's advisable to avoid a swirling or circular motion of the brush on your face, or you'll eventually break off a bunch of bristles in the center of the knot, and end up with a bald spot of stubby and twisted bristles. Use back and forth strokes, like a paint brush.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
$15 for a badger is on the cheap end of the spectrum.

I've got an Omega boar ($8) that occasionally sheds a hair every once in a while and I've had it for five years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My Vulfix 22C has shed very little since 2012.  There was a little during the initial break-in but after that hardly any at all over the three years I've used it and it still makes a really nice lather.  I had a cheaper travel brush that shed like a dog...
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Parker badger brush off amazon.
I havent had any problems with shedding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Never had a problem with my Edwin Jagger.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Penn State Industries sells a number of high to better quality badger brushes. Of course, you'll have to turn your own handle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My 30mm whipped dog badger and synthetic have not shown any signs of shedding.   My HMB (High Mountain Badger) came with a packet of oxyclean & instructions to get the badger smell out before use.   Instructions were to soak brush in oxy/water mix for 3mins, rinse and repeat the process three times. Then wash in shampoo.   I found one washing wasn't enough so I did it three times.  I did continue to notice discolored water the next couple of days when I pre-soaked my brush in warm water while I showered.   The synthetic was good to go out of the wrapper

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you're dead set on badger, I'd try out one of the Maggard's synthetic brushes.  I just got the 24mm version with the marbled handle a week or two ago and it's an awesome brush, especially considering they're right around $12.  It shed a single hair for each of the first three lathers and hasn't lost one since.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think they all shed and smell a bit funky the first few months.

Mine, English badger brush, rarely sheds anymore and smells like my soap.

View Quote

This- none of mine really shed anymore. But when I first got them it smelled like a wet animal was in my bathroom with me
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Omega, Edwin Jagger, Semogue, and Simpson are a few quality brushes...and don't break the bank. They all lose a hair or two upon break in, and occasionally over time...but shouldn't routinely be falling out. I've had my Omega 636 for a while now, and it's still going strong. I do rotate brushes and razors. My favorite brush is a Semogue Owners Club Brush, (Boar, not Badger) plenty of backbone, takes lather well, but they we're a group buy brush through the B&B. (Badger and Blade).
West Coast has a nice variety....
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-636-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush_p_485.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top