Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2017 12:22:43 PM EDT
So I got a Tag for a decent price but it has some issues, busted band/missing links and the stem is messed up.

So I've taken it to three watch companies, two TH certified and the other a local reputable shop.

The two TH places didn't say anything about it, but the local guy asked if it was a fake due to the fact that the movement wasn't labeled TH or whatever.

After looking online it seems that the majority or all the ones I've looked at are labeled, but I would think the other two shops would say something.

The dude I got it from worked/works at Tourneau in CA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag uses an off the shelf movement, so it's kindof a toss up. The movement could have been replaced in the past.

Send it to Tag and see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What watch?  If quartz it has a standard ETA movement that can be replaced for about 35 bucks.  If it's a 1000 series I have the guy for you to fix it.  If it had to be worked on in the past a jeweler could have easily swapped a different new ETA movement in to repair a problem.  If it's an automatic the price is still only about 150 probably for an entire new movement.

These ain't Rolexes or Omegas.  To repair a quartz movement costs 50+ bucks and time.  To replace the generic Swiss ETA movement with a new one costs half that and takes a lot less time.  Hell you can probably buy the movement for 15 bucks online.  Most people would be shocked to know their 2,000 buck watch has a 20 dollar movement in it.

Most likely your watch movement
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag uses an off the shelf movement, so it's kindof a toss up. The movement could have been replaced in the past.

Send it to Tag and see what they say.
View Quote
Depends on the age.  TAG is notorious for not having parts for older watches.  After 20 years they won't even have gaskets/o-rings to reseal your watch.  Unless it's pretty new I WOULDN'T send it to TH.  I just had my 1000 Professional reworked with a new sapphire crystal, cleaning, polish, relume, movement replaced, all new seals, pressure test and battery for $190.00.

Ask your questions here:

Caliber 11 TAG Heuer Forums
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you ever get it sorted out?

What model TAG Heuer is it?  The model is on the case back.  Mine is a 984.013 L.

Curious to know what you got and if it's a 1000 series I have a guy that can restore it for less than 200 bucks- and does a fantastic job.

Heuer 1000 repair
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top