Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 7:04:10 PM EDT
Could have bought a real winder, but figured making my own was cheaper- plus it me gave something to work on with the kids.

Parts:
6x6x4 electric conduit box
6' power cord
110VAC 24hr analog timer
Velcro (to secure the timer in the box)
Male / female AC plugs
8rpm 110VAC Motor (ebay)
M4x60mm screw,  nuts
M4x8mm screws, nuts
8" x 3/4" PVC length
Pipe Insulation
Hair band (wifes)

Total cost was in the $20 range.  Timed the rotation, it's more like 9rpm, so set the timer to run three 30 minute intervals each day.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice job!  Neat concept.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about super-lazy DIY solutions like attaching them to a dog collar (on a dog), making a long weighted pendulum and attaching them to the end, having them on a swivel line under the A/C vent so they oscillate & spin, etc. Kudos for actually putting something together!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
This is probably going to get me on the shit list, but...

I purchased a beater work watch since I was tired of using my phone to tell time.  It's the Seiko Auto 5 I paid $55 shipped from amazon.  I love the watch, but unless I wear it every day, it dies.  So...

For the past week I have been sticking it in a heavy winter sock, rolled up and then inside a big puffy winter glove....

Then I toss it in the clothes dryer (no heat) while I shower.. maybe 10 minutes

So far so good.
Let the beatings begin
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
HS!!!

Even all padded up, that seems a bit excessive.  Wonder how it compares force wise to shooting...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my watch winder off of Amazon for $45. I could have built something, but, I spend more time winding my auto's.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told they cause more wear than good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been told they cause more wear than good.
View Quote
The 9mm vs 45 of the watch world; wind, set and wear when needed vs use a winder.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I was always told once a month to once every 6 months for autos. Just enough to keep the gear oil going.

but I own cheapo Fossil autos.

Thinking about this Tag, but shit it cost more than my 1st car
Tag phantom (because gray all the things)
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 9mm vs 45 of the watch world; wind, set and wear when needed vs use a winder.  
View Quote
Yeah, know what you mean. I generally just wind when needed, but on the more complicated movements that have date, day, and all that crap it's easier to keep it wound than remember how to reset allthat stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top