Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2017 1:52:09 PM EDT
Anybody have experience purchasing from the grey market venders? Specifically, authenticwatches.com

I understand you are giving up the manufacturer's warranty, but at very significant savings. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy Seiko's from them like Jomashop.com - but it's irrelevant to me because Seiko's are cheap watches and I mod them so the warranty is moot
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
DavidSW. Always a great experience.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've spent a lot with jomashop.com over the past couple of years ($10's of thousands) buying watches from Rolex, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith, Breitling and others in the $5-$10k range.
Just know exactly what you're getting into with gray market and make sure the discount is worth the potential problems.
Customer service will suck.
The return process is very strict and detailed.
Read all the fine print before removing any tags or protective plastics from your watch.
Test you watch as much as possible before removing tags/plastic (a timegrapher report is best, but a 24 hour wind and accuracy check is a good start).
You won't have a manufacturers warranty and the "in house" warranty will be very hit or miss as to the quality of work you'll get. Instead of using the in house if a problem arises, just suck it up and pay out of pocket for a factory authorized repair.
In order to cover any potential issues, I only buy gray if the discount is at least the cost of a standard factory service (for Rolex/Omega that's around $800 on non-complication watches). If retail is $8000 and I pay $7000 on the gray market I'm covered if the watch needs a service for some reason and still paid less than retail in the end.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've spent a lot with jomashop.com over the past couple of years ($10's of thousands) buying watches from Rolex, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith, Breitling and others in the $5-$10k range.
Just know exactly what you're getting into with gray market and make sure the discount is worth the potential problems.
Customer service will suck.
The return process is very strict and detailed.
Read all the fine print before removing any tags or protective plastics from your watch.
Test you watch as much as possible before removing tags/plastic (a timegrapher report is best, but a 24 hour wind and accuracy check is a good start).
You won't have a manufacturers warranty and the "in house" warranty will be very hit or miss as to the quality of work you'll get. Instead of using the in house if a problem arises, just suck it up and pay out of pocket for a factory authorized repair.
In order to cover any potential issues, I only buy gray if the discount is at least the cost of a standard factory service (for Rolex/Omega that's around $800 on non-complication watches). If retail is $8000 and I pay $7000 on the gray market I'm covered if the watch needs a service for some reason and still paid less than retail in the end.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The biggest complaints about gray market sellers on various forums almost always boil down to the buyer expecting knowledgeable, courteous, informed customer service and/or the buyer removing all the tags and plastic before finding an issue with the watch and then reading the return policy which usually states that once the tags/plastic are off you own it or you get hit with a steep restock fee. There are also complaints about crap warranty work.
You're buying from a discount warehouse middle-man, they hire semi-illiterate phone drones as customer service reps. I've found that using email is better (but usually slower) because there's proof of exactly what was said by both parties.
Check your watch over with a loupe and with a timegrapher if possible before peeling the plastic or cutting the tamper proof cords on the bracelet.
If there's a problem follow the return policy exactly to the letter and you'll have no problems, start veering off the path and thinking you're special is a recipe for frustration.
Don't even bother with their in-house warranty, the work is farmed out to the lowest bidder. Just suck it up and pay out of pocket for factory authorized service if required.

Jomashop and Authentic Watches are 100% legit companies selling 100% authentic watches, no worries on that front.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest complaints about gray market sellers on various forums almost always boil down to the buyer expecting knowledgeable, courteous, informed customer service and/or the buyer removing all the tags and plastic before finding an issue with the watch and then reading the return policy which usually states that once the tags/plastic are off you own it or you get hit with a steep restock fee. There are also complaints about crap warranty work.
You're buying from a discount warehouse middle-man, they hire semi-illiterate phone drones as customer service reps. I've found that using email is better (but usually slower) because there's proof of exactly what was said by both parties.
Check your watch over with a loupe and with a timegrapher if possible before peeling the plastic or cutting the tamper proof cords on the bracelet.
If there's a problem follow the return policy exactly to the letter and you'll have no problems, start veering off the path and thinking you're special is a recipe for frustration.
Don't even bother with their in-house warranty, the work is farmed out to the lowest bidder. Just suck it up and pay out of pocket for factory authorized service if required.

Jomashop and Authentic Watches are 100% legit companies selling 100% authentic watches, no worries on that front.
View Quote
Great info - what I was looking for. Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top