Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 11:14:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Winders don't keep a watch accurate, they keep the movement wound, so you don't need to re-set the time.    If you wear the automatic watch daily, it should stay wound (charged) and if accurate in the first place, stay accurate.     I have about 25 automatic watches;  several quartz.   I have one winder (for 2).   I leave it empty.  

To answer your question though;   I don't think it matters much.   A $50 winder will do the job.   A $1,000 winder will do a marginally better job with more flexibility.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife got me a Wolf double that will do battery as well as AC power.  I only needed a single and asked for a single. I'm hoping shes planning on getting me another watch that will cause me to need the double.

But for the price it works fine. It even looks fairly nice
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I decided to build my own winder.  First, will be super cheap to build, secondly, more importantly it is a project I can work on with the kids.  WIP currently, waiting on the motor to come in (8rpm 110VAC ebay order).
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If the reserve goes out even while wearing it each day, it needs to be serviced.    LMK and I can recommend a good guy.   Fast, good and cheap;  Minneapolis area.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The watch is accurate.  But even with "up to 40 hours of reserve power" it dies after 3.5 days of daily wear without any extra winding.  And I don't wear it daily.
View Quote
T
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
3.5 days is 84 hours.
Sounds to me like you are not active enough or wear the watch long enough to keep it wound.
To test the power reserve manually wind it via the crown for at least 40 turns then lay it down dial up and see when it stops, if you get from 35-40+ hours out of it then it's your sedentary life.

What watch is it?
I rotate between 3 watches on a daily basis and all of them will stay running for weeks at a time without a manual wind or putting them on a winder.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Fully wind it manually (40 turns or so), set it, leave it alone and see exactly when it dies.
If the reserve is still close to 40 hours, it's either you're not active enough or the winding rotor has an issue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes the rotor isn't moving freely due to the rotor bearing binding up or the rotor screw being loose and it wobbles and binds up which won't let the watch wind efficiently while on the wrist.
Start the troubleshooting with the easy stuff by verifying that it will manually wind to the correct power reserve levels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top