Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 8:36:42 PM EDT
I've been a watch fan all my life, I remember seeing all the expensive brands in Robb Report as a kid and wanting them. Over the years I've put tried to add 'Swiss Made' into the collection; Oris', Victorinox, & Luminox were scattered in with Seikos & Citizens (and my loving G Shock which has seen hell and back again over the last decade). But I wanted something, more. Something nice, something fancy. So I bought a Frederique Contstant to wear at my wedding back in February and that's great but it's for formal attire. So what's a guy to get? Rolex? Love the Explorer II. Omega? Get a Speedmaster? Maybe even a vintage one that has character? I spent many agonizing hours looking, wanting, & lusting even before I finally found the one I love. A Breitling Heritage Superocean 42. I love this piece. It's simply, elegant, and just oozes every aspect of a quality I hoped it would. Am I scared to ding or scratch it? Absolutely. Outside of my car and education it's the most expensive thing I own (save for the engagement ring but she owns that ) and it scares me to wear. But it's amazing and I love the feeling of a real time piece. If you're on the fence and have your financial health in relative order, do it, jump in, you'll thank yourself later on. And as they say, buy once, cry once.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice watch, I want one in blue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Wear it in good health!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice indeed!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You did well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Super Ocean 42 Heritage is a great choice.
Try to find the Breitling stainless mesh bracelet for yours. It really make the watch pop, is extremely comfortable and is perfect for when you're in the water.

I have the Super Ocean 42 Black Steel and it's been a great watch (mine does need a little regulation though, it's around -6 seconds per day and I much prefer slightly fast than slightly slow).

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try to find the Breitling stainless mesh bracelet for yours. It really make the watch pop, is extremely comfortable and is perfect for when you're in the water.

I have the Super Ocean 42 Black Steel and it's been a great watch (mine does need a little regulation though, it's around -6 seconds per day and I much prefer slightly fast than slightly slow).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458573/breitling-107437.jpg
View Quote
Damn, that thing is huge! Your arm looks like Flavor Flav's neck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn, that thing is huge! Your arm looks like Flavor Flav's neck.
View Quote
Photography perspective distortion... look it up.

I have a 7.25" wrist and that watch is a 42mm...
The lugs aren't even close to overhanging my wrist.

What choo talkin bout Willis?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458573/breitling-107437.jpg
View Quote
Sounds like the factory or watchmaker set it for mid-wound. The more wound the mainspring, the greater the balance amplitude. The greater the amplitude, the slower the watch is.

I typically ask how much the owner how much they wear it. If they wear it alot, I time it for fully wound.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great. I'm generally not a Breitling fan, but I love that one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like the factory or watchmaker set it for mid-wound. The more wound the mainspring, the greater the balance amplitude. The greater the amplitude, the slower the watch is.

I typically ask how much the owner how much they wear it. If they wear it alot, I time it for fully wound.
View Quote
Initially it was about +1 s/d, that lasted for about a week then it steadily slowed to right at -6 s/d where it's stayed for the past year or so.
Active lifestyle (including a lot of handgun shooting), when I wear it it's worn for around 16 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week.
Placed either crown up or face up overnight (neither position made a difference).
I'm sure it stays well above 75% reserve when I have it out to wear.
My Ulysse Nardin (which also has a modified ETA) is regulated and "broke in" almost exactly the same as the Breitling. +1 to -6 s/d over about a month or two, then has held steady.
Good thing is they're both just fancy ETA's so when I finally do get around to having them adjusted it'll be no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Why would you be afraid to scratch it?     Trying to preserve it's resale value?    

Just wear and enjoy.    None of us are getting outta here alive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why would you be afraid to scratch it?     Trying to preserve it's resale value?    

Just wear and enjoy.    None of us are getting outta here alive.
View Quote
I'm a fan of buying used when and where I can, someone else can take the depreciation hit and add the character This is one of the first, expensive things I've bought new save for some firearms.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#13]
No shame in buying a well cared for timepiece.

Worst thing you can do is buy cheap ones over ... and over ... and over.. and then wish you had just got what you wanted in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I scared to ding or scratch it?
View Quote

Had mine for 10yrs and the sapphire is still perfect...Stainless could use a polishing tho....
Wear it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked at my Super Avenger this morning and thought it was great that after almost 5 years of wearing it the crystal was still in perfect condition. I bang it on stuff all the time and it's still perfect.

Wear it in good health and congrats. It's a very nice looking watch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top