Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 10:33:57 PM EDT
This may be better suited for GD or the fitness forum but here goes.  My trusty ga100 has finally stopped working after 6+ years of abuse working construction, working out, and general outdoor activity.  I should have seen this coming as I noticed condensation under the glass when running during cold weather.  At the same time I no longer work construction and don't need something so...clunky.  I now do a lot of programming and while dealing with facilities managers and IT guys doesn't require very stylish dress. I am looking for something a bit more streamlined.  The protrek prg600Y and gshock gsts120L look intriguing, still rugged but a bit more grown up.  I have also considered something along the lines of the garmin fenix 3/5 but I am not completely sold on "smart" watches and the need for constant recharging.  

I am looking for something I can easily wear in the office(not business attire, I wear a polo and jeans to work), wear while working out/doing any of the outdoor activities I partake in, and not be embarrassed to wear if I take my wife out for dinner as a casual restaurant.  Analog dial, stopwatch function that is easy to read for taking split times and time keeping while working out, leather/sythetic or rubber strap. I still want the ability to cut if off my wrist if needed.  I still break out the tools at work every once in a while.  Any other suggestions from the ones mentioned above? I am open to any style of watch as long as it doesn't have a metal bracelet, or the ability to change that out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need to check out the Tissot T-Touch line.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to stick with G-shock, this might be worth your effort.

GSTS 110D

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you need to check out the Tissot T-Touch line.  
View Quote
^^^ This ^^^
It's a cool multi-function watch without the "Transformers" styling of the G-Shocks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Just go with the smart watch. I was skeptical at first also. Garmin Fenix 3 or 5 fit your budget. Fenix 3 sapphire comes with the steel link bracelet in addition to rubber and fits your budget. Aside from being large, it dresses up or down very well, especially since you can change to hundreds of different 'analog' faces.

EDIT: My Fenix 3 will last 50-60 days on a charge if I turn off the blue tooth and smart watch stuff. That is a long time.

Not much point in the more expensive G shock/ABC watches with all the GPS-enabled fitness watches on the market now unless you are sure you will go one month plus without a USB port.

EDIT: Can go into a more in depth discussion of the gps watches if you want, but I have found them to be a great workout tool. If you are a everyday/casual/running/multisport user first, Garmin wins.

If you are a hiker/mountaineer/field user first and don't care about the antenna lug, get the Suunto Ambit Peak.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Casio 3416
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
GAX100B in black. $85. That leaves you with another $500 to play around with. For the most part you are going to do less well with any mechanical watch which some equate to a box of gears which require constant wear to keep running. Step up to an analog solar G Shock and it will look less like you stepped off a landing craft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top