Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 10:21:15 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything about Gruen watches?

I found one in a box of things I got from my grandfather years ago.  The numbers on the back say GU1081-040 and under that it says PC21 and then 377 under the PC21.

Black face with roman numerals in silver.  Says 30m Water resistant quarts and then under the VI numeral it says Japan Movt.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a gruen made after the company folded and sold the name. The only thing gruen in that watch is the name.

Original Gruen watches had very well made movements. Most of the early womens Rolex watches had gruen movements along with some of the Rolex bubblebacks.

here is an example:

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup...
Gruen can be a $25 watch or a $2500+ watch.
Many variables, but the Japan movement puts it closer to the $25 range more than likely.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sean Connery is rumored to have worn a gold Gruen from his personal collection in You Only Live Twice, and Diamonds Are Forver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.   I will keep looking into it and see what I can find out.  I'll hold onto it as it was my grandfather's anyhow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top