Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 12:35:27 PM EDT
I came into a wad-o-money and wanted something for a long time.

bills are paid, nothing on the credit cards, house has only 2 years left of payments, and vehicles are paid for and running fine now.

I remembered I had bitcoin sitting out on Coinbase from like 3 years ago that I had bought (on a whim, more or less after it dropped from $1100 to $283) that was doing nothing.

So, along with some end of the year bonus and the sale on coinbase... I ordered a Rolex (used) from an authorized dealer/broker.

I'll post pics when I get it in. Its getting serviced by the broker before final sale. (inspection to validate serials and movement timing)

Yeah, its not gold filled or supper frilly. I paid $5300 with servicing.

Pics to follow once I get it in next week or so. (estimate for the watch smith to do their thing)
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Someday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations OP....16610 or 14060 ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations OP....16610 or 14060 ?
View Quote

116610 LN with the ceramic bezel.

It has the 3135 movement in it. My Seiko 007 has a low beat by comparison.

It is not new... the case back was engraved and sapphire is being verified.

They are giving it a 10M pressure test for free with the servicing.

From what we know at this time, it was purchased in NY and given as a wedding gift.

I might get a non-Gen back for it just so I don't have some divorce's stupid name on it. Watch was sold as part of the divorce settlement.
($25, 316L vs 904L stainless ... pretty common for used rollies that got chiseled)
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a pic of my 116610 ceramic to hold you over
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Great choice OP. Enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great choice OP. Enjoy!!!
View Quote

My first used Rollie... God, I hope I don't live to regret it.

The sapphire might be a serviced unit. If its one of the cheaper "Clarks" units, I might walk from the deal. Broker would be pissed by I'd only be out $200 holding fee. Better that then having to source a new (or service grade) sapphire myself.

An AD I spoke with today told me it might be $650 for a new sapphire. Once I cross the $6K barrier with this thing, I'm backing out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always just bought my Rolexes from DavidSW.
He may not always be the cheapest but he's always come through with a better than advertised watch and excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't wore a watch since I started carrying a smart phone.  But enjoy looking at them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My first used Rollie... God, I hope I don't live to regret it.

The sapphire might be a serviced unit. If its one of the cheaper "Clarks" units, I might walk from the deal. Broker would be pissed by I'd only be out $200 holding fee. Better that then having to source a new (or service grade) sapphire myself.

An AD I spoke with today told me it might be $650 for a new sapphire. Once I cross the $6K barrier with this thing, I'm backing out.
View Quote

I bought my SS date Sub in 2001, and it's endured an amazing amount of abuse. It's been on my wrist every single day since then with the exception of a couple of deployments. Wasn't even aware of the existence of those Clark replacement crystals. From the small bit of reading I've done on them since then, I'd be inclined to back away if the new sapphire pushes you over your threshold.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven't wore a watch since I started carrying a smart phone.  But enjoy looking at them.
View Quote

Is this the preowned smartphone thread?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ugh... got a call back from the watch smith and he had bad news. The sapphire is not original and is not a service unit (Rolex laser etched with "S") and just lowered the value.

He did say all the movement looks original, so, they probably damaged the original sapphire and went with a Clark unit (one can hope!) or they have a shitty china glass installed.

So between the chiseling on the back and the lack of an original sapphire, this time piece will quickly become a money pit.
Broker said the price is firm and I have 48 hours to make my final call. They will not entertain another bid from me. [Because lawyers are involved in the divorce and the appraisal is fixed, I can't really argue at this point]

So, hold or fold? No word back from Rolex on the serial number for servicing, so, we have no idea at this point who put the fucking sapphire in the case...

BTW: the broker offered to cut my loss to $100 instead of $200 as he was not going to have to eat the fees for the service inquiry on his end
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats.

Buying your first Rolex is a rite of passage !

Enjoy it.......you earned it.

One of my son's just bought this watch. I think he paid $9000 for it.

He sent me this picture.....a few days later. I think it , albeit grossly, exemplifies how he earned it !  Like father like son.

ETA.......just read your update. I'd pass on it.  There are plenty of those watches floating around. Find another one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to pass on it at this time.

It just has too many gremlins following it and there are vintage rollies that are worth collecting and fixing if I want to go that route.

Hate to cast $100 to the wind, but, not in the mood to deal with other people's junk.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm going to pass on it at this time.

It just has too many gremlins following it and there are vintage rollies that are worth collecting and fixing if I want to go that route.

Hate to cast $100 to the wind, but, not in the mood to deal with other people's junk.
View Quote

Smart move passing OP. You'll come across another one without all of the hassle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Good call, OP. Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny thing happened on the way home from work today...

I got 2 txt messages from my broker while at work asking if I was "mad" or would be willing to revisit this if circumstances changed.

I replied back, "Maybe, but, I'm kinda soured on the deal at this point".

I get a call (which rolled to vm) on the drive back and then just checked it.

One of the lawyers was hoping for a quick settlement and is now willing to "haggle". Sounds like he is getting paid on the dispersement from the marriage equity... dumbass.

Broker said I would not lose any $$$ if they came back with an offer I would accept.

So now I am in the catbird seat and can be a bit more aggressive.

I can't lowball the shit out of it as they can always reject and my broker would get pissed. (he works on commission as well)

I might flat them at $4700 including servicing and delivery. Then just leave the sapphire in it as-is and see what the serial number registry comes through with.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Who cares if they get pissed?

It's your money, and for the amount you're willing to spend, you can get a watch without all the negatives.

They NEED  to sell, you don't NEED to buy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's your money, and for the amount you're willing to spend, you can get a watch without all the negatives.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. They're not doing you any favors so you don't owe them any. Offer what it's worth to you and if they don't like it they can kick rocks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#20]
OP,

Don't forget about having the watch serviced in the future.  ROLEX is VERY anal about someone using non-ROLEX parts in one of "their" watches.  If the watch ever needs to be sent to a ROLEX service center, they will insist that all aftermarket parts be replaced or they may (will) refuse to service the watch.

Plenty of used, original ROLEX watches on the market.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#21]
WatchRecon shows these in mint condition for under 6500 (last one sold for 6250). Better to spend a little extra than purchase a frankenwatch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Walk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Walk.
View Quote

Yup... I might have to walk if they don't accept my counter offer.

$4K is what I have been advised to counter with. If they refuse, I'm only out $100 still.

I've not got enough skin in the game to belly ache much more than I have.

The lack of a factory sapphire is what is pissing me off. The case back I can live with... 316L vs 904L stainless on the case back is not something I give a rip about. But, if Rolex has a hissy fit, I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup... I might have to walk if they don't accept my counter offer.

$4K is what I have been advised to counter with. If they refuse, I'm only out $100 still.

I've not got enough skin in the game to belly ache much more than I have.

The lack of a factory sapphire is what is pissing me off. The case back I can live with... 316L vs 904L stainless on the case back is not something I give a rip about. But, if Rolex has a hissy fit, I'm screwed.
View Quote

Either find a watchmaker that is not a certified service center to replace the parts or walk.

The RSC (Rolex Service Centers) will not repair or fix a watch with aftermarket parts.

Hell, they are also no longer repairing (at their discretion) watches over 20 years old now. I get alot of work because of this stupid rule they started several years ago to get rid of old watch parts they had to keep in stock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
They had a hissy fit when I spoke with them this morning and the broker almost hung up me... I told him what I was looking at and that they never certified the watch and that they can't expect to charge "certified" prices for a watch that is not so.

So, the deal is on indefinite hold until the lawyers figure this back into the settlement. Lawyers are fickle fuckers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#26]
For extra fun, tell him you've decided to go with a G-Shock Mudman.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For extra fun, tell him you've decided to go with a G-Shock Mudman.

View Quote

I have one already, and its sitting in the sock drawer.

I've walked from the deal now. Lawyers are a fickle lot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Plenty of others out there OP.....my recommendation would be buy the seller not the watch .....DavidSW previously mentioned and there are others HQ Milton etc.....the Rolex forum is wealth of knowledge .....best of luck
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Good move. Be patient and one will pop up at a much better price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't buy that either. Buy from a reputable dealer. Here's a pic of my Submariner next to my Sea Dweller, it looked too small on my wrist and I liked the way the SD felt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Go to rolexforums.com.

Join, ask your questions and you will get great response. (Not that this thread hasn't been spot on. In fact, probably half or more of those responding are members at RF.)

This is NOT a decision you want to look back on and wish you'd done differently.

Hell, I'll consider selling you MY non-date SS Sub (no box or papers but purchased from the Rolex dealer in Indy as an estate watch).

Don't buy a franken Rolex!

TC

P.S.--If the lawyers were as pissed as you indicate, it means they were REALLY going to fuck you hard on this deal and you walked.  Well done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top