Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 3:51:05 AM EDT
This thread from last Fall got me thinking:

Archives > Someone wasnt happy w their Squale watch lol

I read that the lower grades of their movements are made in China. Saw some top grade movements on eBay. How much better are the top grade movements, and are they interchangeable? What says the hive?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This thread from last Fall got me thinking:

Archives > Someone wasnt happy w their Squale watch lol

I read that the lower grades of their movements are made in China. Saw some top grade movements on eBay. How much better are the top grade movements, and are they interchangeable? What says the hive?
View Quote

More like China is copying the movement.

Real 2824-2 movements are still made in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
OP- let's talk about what kind of timepiece excites you and your budget. If you can pay more than $3k or so, the options open up dramatically.

3-5k. Get an omega speedmaster professional. It was on the moon and is probably the entry point for a watch with some history and legitimacy in haute horology.

4-6k in the wallet? Like something sporty. A chronograph, you say? Try a Zenith chronomaster with an El primero movement in it. One of the first chronographs to beat at 36k hz. Storied history including being under the hood of the famous Rolex Daytona for several years. Reliable and beautiful.

6-9k. Feeling a little more refined? Why not one of the jaeger Lecoultre in house movements they have to offer in the master series? The master ultra thin moon is beloved by collectors and can be versatile with a different watch band. The new JLC geophysic true second has a completely new movement with an H shaped balance wheel and "dead beat" complication.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies- helps to broaden my horizons. Could some of the parts of them come from China?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
ETA movements are Swiss made.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA movements are Swiss made.
View Quote

And only sold in new watches... anyone who said different is from a place you don't want to do bidness with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The standard ETA 2824 currently is made in 4 grades, Standard, Elaboré, Top, and Chronometre. There's a discussion of them here.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/smoke-mirrors-part-1-eta-grades-explained-458060.html

It's not true that there are no loose movements out there to be had. The Swatch group has been trying to stop selling movements or repair parts to anyone outside of their company for a while now. There's a new agreement in place that has them selling fewer and fewer until 2020 when they are to quit selling them at all. So there are still brand new ETA movement out there for sale at materials houses and so on.

I've had the Chinese fakes of the ETA movements apart and had a good look at them. They just keep getting better as time goes on. They're still not nearly as well made as the genuine article. The patents on the ETA 28xx series of movements ran out years ago so now that Swatch has stopped selling movements and parts there are "clones" being made in Switzerland from Selitta and Soprod that are very good quality.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And only sold in new watches... anyone who said different is from a place you don't want to do bidness with.
View Quote

I can buy them, but I have a parts account.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can buy them, but I have a parts account.
View Quote

Nearly every time piece with a "Eta" advertised that I looked at or read into had "cloned" components.

If you can get a real movement, do tell... how much do those go for these days?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nearly every time piece with a "Eta" advertised that I looked at or read into had "cloned" components.

If you can get a real movement, do tell... how much do those go for these days?
View Quote

Minus shipping a 2824-2 is $305.98 at my supplier.

And no I will not buy them to resell them. I like having my parts account.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top