Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 5:17:25 PM EDT
The illuminating dot at 10 o clock fell off inside my Vostok Amphibia.  I ordered a watch repair kit on amazon that should allow me to open it up.  My goal is simply to open the watch and remove the dot so it stops fucking with the movement.  It's just rolling around lose and getting stuck to the hands and stopping them.

What am I in for?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Fun.

Godspeed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Many watches are held in the case by a spacer ring and the stem, and many stems are removed by pressing a pin or detent marked with a dot next to were the stem enters the movement.
Some watches have screws and tabs as well as or instead of the ring; and some have a screw holding the stem in.
Don't attempt this unless you are mechanically inclined and have steady hands, or if you are prepared to junk it if you botch it up.  Also, once you get the movement out, you can glue the marker back if you desire.
Baldmonk has worked on Russian watches before (reluctantly) and will probably give you some good advice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
An Amphibia has that retaining ring holding the caseback on, it comes off pretty easy with a watch crab or caseback spanner or whatever.  The stem and crown are held by a small plunger or button.  Press it, pull the crown out.  Then there's two flathead screws holding the movement tight to a plastic or metal spacer ring inside the case.  Pop those dump the movement out of the case, and the illum dot should fall out along with it.  Reverse to reassemble.  Aint shit.  

If you want to have some fun, Meranom has (had?) some display casebacks that supposedly retained the water resistance.  I just slapped one on a mixmaster amphibia, love it.  He also had some fairly dressy steel spacer rings to replace the plastic if that offends you.

ETA- this might help!

This is the manual wind version, yours has the rotor on top, but just rotate it out of the way.  You can see clearly the flathead retaining screws opposite each other, and if you follow the path of the stem into the movement, the little nipple is what needs to be pressed to release the stem and crown.  When you reassemble it, press the nipple again when reinstalling the stem and give it a bit of a tug to make sure it's fully seated before reassembly.  It sucks to get the watch back together and then have it pop free.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An Amphibia has that retaining ring holding the caseback on, it comes off pretty easy with a watch crab or caseback spanner or whatever.  The stem and crown are held by a small plunger or button.  Press it, pull the crown out.  Then there's two flathead screws holding the movement tight to a plastic or metal spacer ring inside the case.  Pop those dump the movement out of the case, and the illum dot should fall out along with it.  Reverse to reassemble.  Aint shit.  

If you want to have some fun, Meranom has (had?) some display casebacks that supposedly retained the water resistance.  I just slapped one on a mixmaster amphibia, love it.  He also had some fairly dressy steel spacer rings to replace the plastic if that offends you.

ETA- this might help!

https://krishnasrussianwatches.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/vostok-amphibia-operation-desert-shield-9.jpg

This is the manual wind version, yours has the rotor on top, but just rotate it out of the way.  You can see clearly the flathead retaining screws opposite each other, and if you follow the path of the stem into the movement, the little nipple is what needs to be pressed to release the stem and crown.  When you reassemble it, press the nipple again when reinstalling the stem and give it a bit of a tug to make sure it's fully seated before reassembly.  It sucks to get the watch back together and then have it pop free.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice and the poster above.  I'm prepared to junk the watch if need be but thought an 8 dollar kit would be fun to see if I could open it and remove the problem.  I'll update Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I had this exact issue with my Amphibia and got a cheap case remover from Harbor Freight.  It took me less than 3 mins to do the job.  I wish you the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top