Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 3:50:56 PM EDT
I have a Steinhart Ocean Two Premium that needs to be shipped to Germany for warranty work.

I received an email from Steinhart that provided shipping instructions in broken English and German which lists the paperwork required to get the watch back to them and (hopefully) returned to me after that repairs are complete.

As I read the instructions, it appears that besides the original sales info I need a couple forms and a shipping container that FedEx will provide, and arrange for FedEx to pick up the box at my home.

So, am I interpreting their instructions correctly?  Am I missing something?

Any assistance, guidance and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds confusing.

I would find a local watchmaker that is certified in the ETA movements.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I had to do this a couple of years ago.  If I remember they sent me via email a fed ex return label and all paperwork required for return.  I just had to send the watch and my original receipt.  It took a few weeks but all was returned in fine working order.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds confusing.

I would find a local watchmaker that is certified in the ETA movements.
View Quote

The watch has the SOPROD A-10 movement.  It's been reported that a batch got out that had the wrong lube and that's causing the problems.  Initially, the watch ran well and was gaining ~ 4 Sec. a day.  After about 16 months, it started to run slower and then would start & stop intermittently, even if hand wound (the watch was not worn every day, but is part of my usual rotation).  It has a display back and the rotor seems "sluggish" when it moves.  From a mechanical standpoint, I suppose incorrect or insufficient lube could cause the problem, but I'm no watchmaker.

I'm seriously tempted to drop it off at my friendly, local ROLEX AD and have one of their watchmakers try to get the watch up and running again.  Besides ROLEX, they sell and service watches with ETA movements.

I've read on a couple watch forums that in some cases Steinhart repairs the movement and in other cases, they have replaced the movement with ETA 2824 or 2892-A2 TOP movements.
I've also read that Steinhart has dropped the SOPROD movement altogether.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had to do this a couple of years ago.  If I remember they sent me via email a fed ex return label and all paperwork required for return.  I just had to send the watch and my original receipt.  It took a few weeks but all was returned in fine working order.
View Quote

All they sent me was an email with their FedEx shipper's number and instructions regarding a couple FedEx shipping forms. Frankly, considering how many watches Steinhart sells in the US, you'd think that they'd have an authorized service center in the States.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to use a box and their label.  Fill out the customs form as requested. Iirc you can download that form or get one at FedEx.  I used the original box and an outer box to ship mine.  

Take a look at the form online and google for instructions.   Iirc it wasn't a big deal to fill out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
@grumpy-old-man

if you have the German instructions IM it to me and I can read them and let you know what is what if you like
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@grumpy-old-man

if you have the German instructions IM it to me and I can read them and let you know what is what if you like
View Quote

Fantomas,

Thank-you for your kind offer.  I discovered that my printer cut off the last page of the email, that page had an English translation of the German text.  All it was is some info about a change on part of Steinhart's web page.

My plan is to return the watch to Steinhart and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You need to use a box and their label.  Fill out the customs form as requested. Iirc you can download that form or get one at FedEx.  I used the original box and an outer box to ship mine.  

Take a look at the form online and google for instructions.   Iirc it wasn't a big deal to fill out.
View Quote

Thanks.  I found the forms on FedEx's web site.  I can convert them to the fillable format which will at least make them legible. (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top