Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 8:06:58 AM EDT
I am looking to make my first big time watch purchase. Local shops don't have a huge selection to browse through so I'm turning to the inter webs. If im spending several thousand on a watch, I want to first and foremost I'm receiving an authentic time piece but also a good deal and good support should I need it. What are the preferred online vendors for high dollar watches?  Looking in the Rolex/Breitling/Tag/Omega/Tudor/???...

Also, what are the consideration to buying new vs used, aside from authenticity issues?  Any reason to favor one over the other?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
David from DSW watch in Orlando is who you seek  https://davidsw.com/
Tell him the guy who had the "Shark" Rolex Stainless Steel Submariner Black face Blue ceramic Bezel referred you!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
New you get a factory warranty depending on brand. "Gray" market depends on the manufacturer and even the warranty repair places. Some of the Rolex warranty headquarters will not give you a hard time and some will. If you want a Rolex I suggest you join the Rolex forum
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The only used high end watch I would buy is Rolex,  I have had a lot of watches and Rolex are the only ones I have not got Ass raped on when trading or upgrading.  they hold there value.

10K Breitling Bentley I bought was 10K ish got 4K in trade and it was virtually new
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Go register on watchuseek.com and poke around there. Not only will you find a lot of resources for online sellers, but you will find reputable vendors that sell directly on their site.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch Recon is another good website to poke around on to check out the used market.

Watch Recon
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Rolexforum.com

But the answer you seek is DavidSW......
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rolexforum.com

But the answer you seek is DavidSW......
View Quote

DavidSW
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

DavidSW
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
im browsing the DavidSW site and really liking the Omega's.  However, there are two Planet Oceans that look identical yet have a $1000+ price difference.  Same listed condition.  I see several watches, especially rolex's that vary in price by thousands for the same looking watch in the same condition.  What differences should I be looking for or aware of as a potential buyer because they are not obvious to someone who isn't intimately familiar with these watches.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
im browsing the DavidSW site and really liking the Omega's.  However, there are two Planet Oceans that look identical yet have a $1000+ price difference.  Same listed condition.  I see several watches, especially rolex's that vary in price by thousands for the same looking watch in the same condition.  What differences should I be looking for or aware of as a potential buyer because they are not obvious to someone who isn't intimately familiar with these watches.
View Quote

Make sure the model/product numbers match exactly as well.
Could be as simple as one of them is two years older model and the SKU changed.
There are also new/unworn with all protective plastics in place and new but was maybe a counter display watch so the plastics have been removed.
Email him and he usually responds with an answer within a few hours, even on weekends.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
David SW again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright guys,

I'm looking at this one:

https://davidsw.com/product/omega-planet-ocean-2/

Is 46mm big? I am not that big of a guy so I don't want a monster watch or anything too big to wear with a suit.

again, i really have no frame of reference for the size.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I love that watch - have had my eye on it for some time.

I always use this chart to visualize but again its all relative to the size of your wrist.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alright guys,

I'm looking at this one:

https://davidsw.com/product/omega-planet-ocean-2/

Is 46mm big? I am not that big of a guy so I don't want a monster watch or anything too big to wear with a suit.

again, i really have no frame of reference for the size.
View Quote

Anything over 40mm is going to be too large to wear with a suit (even 40mm would be pushing it).
Look for something around 38mm diameter and 12mm thick to wear with a suit. Anything larger or thicker will not go under your cuff and that looks like ass.

Anything over 44mm is a big watch.
38mm to 42mm is pretty much the current standard size for mens watches.

The general rule of thumb is when the watch is on your wrist the lugs should not overhang the sides of your wrist.
Basically the strap/bracelet should drape around the edges of your wrist NOT hang straight down from the lugs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Well,I went to my (not so) local Omega dealer with the intent on seeing the size of the watches before I make a final decision on buying from DavidSW.

Two observations:
-Planet Oceans are huge! Like gigantic. Every pic I've seen of them look great worn but they are not for my dainty wrists.
- Omega Watches are way more expensive in stores than I have found online.

That being said, The salesman was a certified Omega dealer and was incredibly helpful and informative. I left with this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yes!

Wear in good health.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice Omicron Spymaster.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top