Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2017 5:51:08 PM EDT
So I've finally made the decision to pick up my first entry level Swiss timepiece. I'm trying to keep the cost below $600 and I don't like really busy looking faces.

So far I've narrowed my options down to two pieces. The Hamilton Field Khaki or a Tissot Couturier. 

Any opinions of these or any other suggestions would be appreciated. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Under $600?

Hamilton uses an ETA movmt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea what eta is. It says it has Swiss Automatic movement in the description. 

HML-H70575733 is the model number
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Myself... spending under $600 on an automatic watch, I'd go with a Seiko, Orient or Citizen (Miyota) movement watch.
You'll get a higher quality watch all around than you would with a $600 Swiss watch simply because the entry level Swiss ETA movement is more expensive than a equivalent quality Japanese movement.
That means you'll get a lower quality case, dial and finish than on a watch with a Japanese movement.
Once you're into $1000+ watches is where the Swiss watches start to differentiate themselves from the Japanese movement based watches in my experience.

And I'm a big fan of nice Swiss watches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no idea what eta is. It says it has Swiss Automatic movement in the description. 

HML-H70575733 is the model number
View Quote

ETA is a Swiss watch movement manufacturer.
They make the movements for a large percentage of the Swiss watch companies.
Sellita is another big Swiss movement manufacturer/supplier.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Both the Tissot and the Hamilton you are interested in use ETA supplied movements, which are solid workhorse movements.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've looked at Seiko and Orient, but nothing really jumped out at me. Same thing with Citizen, but it's been a while since I've looked at these.

The reason I was looking at the Hamilton and Tissot is because I've read pretty good reviews. It seems like they hold up pretty well and keep good time. I just wanted opinions from some Arfcommers. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hamilton Khaki in that price range, end of story. Steinhart has some nice offerings as well sub $500 that use Swiss ETA movements.

Joma Shop has the Khaki 42mm on sale for $350 I think. That's my next watch purchase I think.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
This one pushes that price range, but I may be able to persuade my better half. I really like this design. 

Hamilton Khaki

Can be had for $685.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
There may or may not be a squale on the EE

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one pushes that price range, but I may be able to persuade my better half. I really like this design. 

Hamilton Khaki

Can be had for $685.
View Quote

That watch has a really impressive 80 hour power reserve.
It does come at the expense of a slightly less smooth second hand sweep though.
Basically you'll see the second hand "tick" 3 times per second instead of 4.
That is a pretty good trade-off for an extra 35+ hours of power reserve.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm trying to keep the cost below $600 and I don't like really busy looking faces
View Quote
$550 Ocean One Vintage

$460 Ocean Vintage Military - MK2.5
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The military isn't bad, but I'd have to get a different band for sure. I'm not a big fan of metal bands. Probably should have mentioned that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The military isn't bad, but I'd have to get a different band for sure. I'm not a big fan of metal bands. Probably should have mentioned that.
View Quote
You can get that band off and put it on a NATO strap of any color or configuration that you like in no time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Easy to swap out. Rubber, leather, or NATO strap. Hundreds to choose from. 22mm is the correct width for the Military. steinhart-ocean-military eye candy
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The Hamilton khaki is a well loved watch for sure.  I wouldn't hesitate if that's what you like.  Just SEARCH for the best price.

Have a look at this though
https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/military-42-automatic-black.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top