Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlCrow] [#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DstryrOfWrlds:
Definitely a hefty watch. Yes it runs well. I have been able to adjust it to where it only gains about 6 seconds in a month.

Is the watch with stand in the picture yours?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DstryrOfWrlds:

Originally Posted By OlCrow:

Those movements are built like a tank, the thickness of the plates is amazing to me.

It looks like yours is running.

Definitely a hefty watch. Yes it runs well. I have been able to adjust it to where it only gains about 6 seconds in a month.

Is the watch with stand in the picture yours?

No, the watch like yours I posted is not mine, found the pics online to show you.

It's good that it is running and adjusted that close. But with the adjustment set all the way over to slow that means it's most likely in need of a servicing and lubrication and/or the mainsprings are weak. When you have to adjust them to slow it's because the balance wheel isn't getting the power it needs to rotate back and forth as far as it should making it run fast. If it was rotating fully it would take longer between tics thus slowing it, you can adjust for that as you have done but eventually you will run out of slow adjustment and it will run faster and eventually stop because the balance won't have enough power to keep it running.

I would bet it has never been serviced in it's 87 years, most weren't that I have seen, a testament to the quality of these movements that it still runs and keeps time. After having another look at your movement it may have had a service because I do see marks from a screwdriver in the screws holding the movement together but that might have been 77 years ago.

Watch ebay, these do show up there and you might find a complete one with a bad movement cheap.

Here's a nicer example;

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7336078

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's one more I found using Google Image search. It was listed on ebay a while ago and no longer on ebays server. It was listed there as an automobile clock which we know it was not. Someone tied an leather strap to it and might have hung it is a car at one time though.

I still can't find what N.A.C.J. stands for.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revelation68] [#3]

So...you didn't read my post?

"Nevada Attorneys for Criminal Justice

The Nevada Attorneys for Criminal Justice (NACJ) was established in 1989. NACJ seeks to protect federal and state constitutional rights and to improve the quality and administration of justice for those accused of crimes."

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Revelation68:
Very cool clocks there! Pretty awesome, if you ask me...

And, per a quick google search, I'm going to guess...

Nevada Attorneys for Criminal Justice?

The Nevada Attorneys for Criminal Justice (NACJ) was established in 1989. NACJ seeks to protect federal and state constitutional rights and to improve the quality and administration of justice for those accused of crimes."

I was being 110% sarcastic. Lol
I couldn't find anything on it either.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DstryrOfWrlds] [#4]

View All Quotes

I found a reference to National Association of Citizen Journalists in Elgin but they were established in the '60s.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Sorry I missed that...it went right over my head. Aim for my head next time then I won't miss it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Sorry I missed that...it went right over my head. Aim for my head next time then I won't miss it.

View All Quotes

Haha! That's okay. Reading text online is not a high percentage task. I often miss the sarcasm on here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a brief look at one of my pawn shop pick-ups.
My brother originally found this 1960s Gallet chronograph sitting around in non-working condition at a local store. Looked to be in great shape, inside and out. While I could get it to move for me a bit, something clearly wasn't right.

Well, the fellow I sent it off to be worked on confirmed that it was in awesome condition, and probably because of this: flyback lever snapped and jamming the get train!

Am told everything is original Gallet, which is fairly hard to come by. The Landeron 149 movement is running great now (movement is based on the early Landeron's, but is one of the only models that had the top pusher stop and start the chrono, like your Valjoux's, etc., all did).

Nice watch to wear now, and a fantastic size, in my book!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:04:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#8]
That Gallet is a nice watch.  
Was this a recent pawnshop find?

I have not found any decent older watches in any pawnshops in years.  

The last photo is nice as well.
All three of those watches are sweet.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:
That Gallet is a nice watch.  
Was this a recent pawnshop find?

I have not found any decent older watches in any pawnshops in years.  

The last photo is nice as well.
All three of those watches are sweet.  
View Quote

Yep, this one was picked up not running at a pawn shop; although, the service on these pieces is the expensive part!

The guy is really great, and my brother has basically mentioned to pick up any nice old watches he finds because there is a good chance I'll get them from him. Ha! I have never found anything at pawns before this, so I've definitely been fortunate. The guy also snagged some Accutrons recently, and I grabbed this '68 Astronaut and '67 Spaceview this past week:

Thanks for the comments on the last picture! Those are my Benrus and Gruen alarm watches on was side. Not quite a chronograph complication, but a nice little complication nonetheless. Fun little watches! (Both have Adolph Schild 1475 movements, as did most common alarm watches during the time.)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:54:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#10]
VERY nice finds!

For some reason, I'm drawn to the chronograph complication.
Only have two at the moment, but that could change.  And yes, I do use the chrono function.

How old is the GALLET?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:06:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#11]
OK, here's today's offering .....

An old Bulova.

I found this amongst my dad's stuff while looking for another watch.

I haven't tried to wind the watch, but just from being handled, the second hand has moved a bit.  
The case back is engraved, but the initials don't match any relative of which I'm aware, so I have no idea where, how or when my dad came into possession of the watch.

I haven't opened the case to check for movement date codes, but very well may once things settle down around here.
Any estimates as to the watch's age or other info is most welcome.

Enjoy.

</a>" />

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Do y'all have any recommendations on where to find interesting vintage watches?

I saw pawn shops were mentioned, any other ideas?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By basselope22:

View Quote

I've seen eBay mentioned.

A friend of mine has an antique shop and always has a nice display of estate jewelery on hand.
I may have to stop by one of these days and see what he's picked up lately.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grumpy-old-man:
VERY nice finds!

For some reason, I'm drawn to the chronograph complication.
Only have two at the moment, but that could change.  And yes, I do use the chrono function.

How old is the GALLET?
View Quote

Thank you!
I definitely agree...this was my first vintage chronograph, with my only other chrono being a 2013 Hamilton model based on the Valjoux 7750.

The Gallet should be somewhere in the mid-'50s to early '60s, but I'm not sure I can date it very precisely. The 149 movement is based on the model 48 (which was from the '50s), but Landeron's 39 model was out as early as the mid-'40s.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]

An old Bulova.

I haven't tried to wind the watch, but just from being handled, the second hand has moved a bit.  
The case back is engraved, but the initials don't match any relative of which I'm aware, so I have no idea where, how or when my dad came into possession of the watch.

I haven't opened the case to check for movement date codes, but very well may once things settle down around here.

Enjoy.

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/Bulovacrop1.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

I'm going with 1929 or 1930 Lone Eagle, with a 10AN or 13AF movement.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I get most of mine off eBay, but you have to know a little bit about what you're going for, or else go for relatively inexpensive stuff. I don't buy very expensive on there for the most part anyway, so it tends to work out halfway decent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]

I get most of mine off eBay, but you have to know a little bit about what you're going for, or else go for relatively inexpensive stuff. I don't buy very expensive on there for the most part anyway, so it tends to work out halfway decent.
View All Quotes

I have had great luck in browsing Thrift Shops.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of great watches from the past!  Here is one of the first watches I bought from a Thrift Store in Escondido, CA.  

Helbros made in West Germany.  It has a PUW 1363 German movement.  Runs like a top after all these years.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:
Lots of great watches from the past!  Here is one of the first watches I bought from a Thrift Store in Escondido, CA.  

Helbros made in West Germany.  It has a PUW 1363 German movement.  Runs like a top after all these years.  

http://i57.tinypic.com/2h4vx1z.jpg
View Quote

Great little piece! One of their nicer offerings, for sure.
I must admit, even I have a few of their humble French Lorsa pieces...but hey, for what they were they were pretty cool!
Yours is definitely a good piece, and clean, too!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

An old Bulova.

Enjoy.

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/Bulovacrop1.jpg</a>" />

Sharp eye!  You know your Bulovas.

On line source confirms your evaluation.  The watch is a 1929 Lone Eagle.  Should have a 10AN, 15 jewel  movement.  Case is reportedly "14 Kt rolled white gold plate".
Supposedly, the 13AF movement variation is fairly scarce.  I guess I won't know which movement I'm dealing with until I open the case.

Question: A "dust shield and ring" are mentioned on the online site.  Something I should be concerned about if/when I open the case back?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#21]
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2h4vx1z.jpg
View Quote

Nice.  That watch looks almost new.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]

On line source confirms your evaluation.  The watch is a 1929 Lone Eagle.  Should have a 10AN, 15 jewel  movement.  Case is reportedly "14 Kt rolled white gold plate".
Supposedly, the 13AF movement variation is fairly scarce.  I guess I won't know which movement I'm dealing with until I open the case.

Question: A "dust shield and ring" are mentioned on the online site.  Something I should be concerned about if/when I open the case back?
View All Quotes

An old Bulova.

Enjoy.

Nope, not at all. That should just be sitting over top of your movement when you open the case. Pretty smart for old watches that weren't sealed super tight. Makes sense, at least!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks!

Did you find the email I sent yesterday?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks!

View Quote

Oh no...I don't think so.
Where did you send it?? I always reply when I see emails!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Thanks!

I used the tab at the bottom of one of your posts.
I sent a link to an interesting Bulova Acutron.

I can re-send or you can email me and I'll get the link to you email address of choice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]

I can re-send or you can email me and I'll get the link to you email address of choice.
View All Quotes
Thanks!

Oh okay, awesome!
I emailed you. Let me know if that doesn't show up!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Oh okay, awesome!
View All Quotes
Thanks!

Oh okay, awesome!

Email sent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Email sent.
View All Quotes
Thanks!

Oh okay, awesome!

Email sent.

Thanks for that link!
What a pristine condition piece that is...
I'd say that if anything could qualify to be "railroad approved" it would be a hacking 218 Accutron in ship shape!
Not cheap, though, huh?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#29]
Thought you might like to check that out.

Nope, definitely not inexpensive.  But hey, it's only money!

The solid gold case adds to the price, I'd bet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Thought you might like to check that out.

Nope, definitely not inexpensive.  But hey, it's only money!

The solid gold case adds to the price, I'd bet.
View Quote

Yep...the solid gold definitely makes it more valuable, although more to some than others!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've probably posted it before, but oh well...

Yesterday I wore this Longines that was manufactured January 16, 1925. One of my favorite pieces, and my oldest wristwatch (and only trench watch):

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#32]
Don't think we've seen that one before.

Nice looking movement and dial!  Considering the size and age, that must have been one of the pieces that helped make the transition from pocket watches to wrist watches.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#33]
OK, another oldie for your consideration.

This watch was presented to one of my uncles in 1960 in recognition of 40 years service with United States Steel (the back is engraved).
To my knowledge, the watch has never been serviced. It still keeps excellent time and shows little evidence of being worn.

The hands appear black in the picture but have a bright (silver) finish as does the USS logo. Don't know why they look the way they do in the pic.

</a>" />

And here's the box it came in, warranty card and all.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: basselope22] [#34]
I've probably posted it before, but oh well...

Yesterday I wore this Longines that was manufactured January 16, 1925. One of my favorite pieces, and my oldest wristwatch (and only trench watch):

<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/buyingontime/media/Longines/IMG_20141203_083054_zpsskhezv6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a572/buyingontime/Longines/IMG_20141203_083054_zpsskhezv6u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/buyingontime/media/Longines/IMG_20141203_142358_zpsw8qgz8fu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a572/buyingontime/Longines/IMG_20141203_142358_zpsw8qgz8fu.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/buyingontime/media/Longines/IMG_20140709_134229_zpsqfiidkw8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a572/buyingontime/Longines/IMG_20140709_134229_zpsqfiidkw8.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/buyingontime/media/Longines/IMG_20140709_084337_zps3ubh24gn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a572/buyingontime/Longines/IMG_20140709_084337_zps3ubh24gn.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's an awesome watch!

I saw that they make a modern rendition of it and got excited, until I saw the price.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Nice looking movement and dial!  Considering the size and age, that must have been one of the pieces that helped make the transition from pocket watches to wrist watches.
View All Quotes

Thanks a bunch! I'm glad you like it.
I'd say that was right in the meat of the transitioning, although the earliest wristwatch (not pocketwatch on the wrist) is in the late 1900s or early '10s, if I recall correctly!

That's an awesome watch!

I saw that they make a modern rendition of it and got excited, until I saw the price.

I appreciate it! I'm not sure if I've seen the new models that look similar...hmm, do you know where I could find which model you're talking about?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#36]

This watch was presented to one of my uncles in 1960 in recognition of 40 years service with United States Steel (the back is engraved).
To my knowledge, the watch has never been serviced. It still keeps excellent time and shows little evidence of being worn.

The hands appear black in the picture but have a bright (silver) finish as does the USS logo. Don't know why they look the way they do in the pic.

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/LordElgincrop2.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/LordElgincrop1.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Not only to you have a great family piece, you have a top-of-the-line Elgin example in a great looking Lord Elgin. That is a truly great piece, with the history to back it up!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]

I'd say that was right in the meat of the transitioning, although the earliest wristwatch (not pocketwatch on the wrist) is in the late 1900s or early '10s, if I recall correctly!

I appreciate it! I'm not sure if I've seen the new models that look similar...hmm, do you know where I could find which model you're talking about?

Thanks!!
View All Quotes

That's an awesome watch!

Thanks!!

http://www.longines.com/watches/heritage-collection/L2.776.4.21.3
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#38]

I'd say that was right in the meat of the transitioning, although the earliest wristwatch (not pocket watch on the wrist) is in the late 1900s or early '10s, if I recall correctly!

Pretty sure that WW1 had a great deal to do with the switch to wrist watches. Much more convenient on the battle field.
Ya gotta wonder just how they held up to the water and moisture though.

Thanks!!
View All Quotes

I'd say that was right in the meat of the transitioning, although the earliest wristwatch (not pocket watch on the wrist) is in the late 1900s or early '10s, if I recall correctly!

Pretty sure that WW1 had a great deal to do with the switch to wrist watches. Much more convenient on the battle field.
Ya gotta wonder just how they held up to the water and moisture though.

That's an awesome watch!

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Not only to you have a great family piece, you have a top-of-the-line Elgin example in a great looking Lord Elgin. That is a truly great piece, with the history to back it up!
View All Quotes

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/LordElgincrop2.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/LordElgincrop1.jpg</a>" />

Thanks!  I appreciate the comment and info.  I have to admit that I don't know much about Elgins.  A popular, quality brand back in he day, as I recall.
My mother obtained the watch when she closed out her sister's estate.  The watch sat around for a few years and my mother offered it to me, knowing I was a watch guy.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#40]

That's an awesome watch!

Thanks!!

http://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/l2.776.4.21.3-1_main.jpg

http://www.longines.com/watches/heritage-collection/L2.776.4.21.3

Wow, you weren't kidding. They must have been looking at this model then....Haha. Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks!  I appreciate the comment and info.  I have to admit that I don't know much about Elgins.  A popular, quality brand back in he day, as I recall.
My mother obtained the watch when she closed out her sister's estate.  The watch sat around for a few years and my mother offered it to me, knowing I was a watch guy.

View All Quotes

Anytime! You'd have to crack open the back and show me the movement for me to find out the caliber, but I'm sure it is one of the best Elgin used at the time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Ya, I need to crack open that Bulova Lone Eagle too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Ya, I need to crack open that Bulova Lone Eagle too.
View Quote

Definitely do sometime!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revelation68] [#44]
Wore the 1967 Bulova Accutron Spaceview today, and really for the first time, as I had to adjust the hands properly:

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#45]
That's a nice watch.  I remember when that model was introduced.  I never owned one, but found them fascinating.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:33:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Revelation68] [#46]
That's a nice watch.  I remember when that model was introduced.  I never owned one, but found them fascinating.
View Quote

I appreciate it! Its funny that you would expect to see more happening, considering you're looking into the "guts" of the watch...but nothing else moves around in there (unlike an exhibition case mechanical watch, or these "open heart" mechanicals), unless you watch it as you're setting the time. Ha!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, it IS vintage (early 1970s), it IS a watch and its a chronograph!

Looks and works just like the day I got it, and still in the original box.

" />
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#48]

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/Swatchcrop2.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That is super. Looks brand new...you're not kidding.
Awesome piece, my friend!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpy-old-man] [#49]

View All Quotes

http://<a href=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/Swatchcrop2.jpg</a>" />

Thanks!  Old school tech now. A really solid, hefty feel to it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm just wearing this 70's Dynabeat today:

Gotta love the cheap stuff...
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top