Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 375
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've changed batteries in my brother's G-Shock. I had to remove the band to do it because the band ends extended in and covered some of the case-back.
If your watch has this feature, you can still remove the case-back with the band in place, but it is difficult to confirm the seal is clean and In place as you cannot go straight down to the case with the cover, you have to slide it in from the side..
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Fission] [#2]
Check to see if you band covers part of the case-back. If it does, remove the band first; sliding the cover off or on from the side is a good way to fail to seal the watch and also allow dirt in when the cover is slid out.
Doh! my post did not appear so I reposted only to have it show up after.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I wore this today. It was my great-great uncle Mike's. He passed away in 2008 at 94 years old. I still haven't had to replace the battery.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My newest addition. I bought so I'd have something cheaper but durable that I wouldn't feel bad about banging around on at work. G-Shock GD-100-1B
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gone_Fission:
Check to see if you band covers part of the case-back. If it does, remove the band first; sliding the cover off or on from the side is a good way to fail to seal the watch and also allow dirt in when the cover is slid out.
Doh! my post did not appear so I reposted only to have it show up after.
View Quote

Thank you, Gone.

I'll get the battery first and then attempt surgery.

Should I get a new gasket?

If so, where can I acquire one?

TIA

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BPK2300:
I wore this today. It was my great-great uncle Mike's. He passed away in 2008 at 94 years old. I still haven't had to replace the battery.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448063/image-152661.JPG
View Quote

That's beautiful!

I grew up with Timex watches.

However, mine were all wind watches.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ishoot2live:

Thank you, Gone.

TIA

View Quote

I've never changed a gasket in one so I don't know, but be sure to clean the smootz from both surfaces and don't over torque the screws.
Pro-tip: When re-installing a self-tapping screw in any plastic part, turn the screw backwards until you feel the formed thread pass underneath the tip of the screw before turning forwards.  I rarely strip holes in plastic anymore and this is how I do it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]

I've never changed a gasket in one so I don't know, but be sure to clean the smootz from both surfaces and don't over torque the screws.
Pro-tip: When re-installing a self-tapping screw in any plastic part, turn the screw backwards until you feel the formed thread pass underneath the tip of the screw before turning forwards.  I rarely strip holes in plastic anymore and this is how I do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you, Gone.

TIA

Thanks for the tips.

When I get around to changing the battery I'll post the results.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#10]
 MTM predator.  i have 4 of MTMs offerings.  I like em just fine for Quartz.  Just finished changing the batteries on them but i broke my stem on the Air Stryk.  At MTM now getting fixed.  Heres the predator in titanium with pvd coating.  Really comfortable!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#11]
This weekend will be the Chase Durer, its been out of service for a long time with a dead battery.  Again, i just changed the batteries in about 9 quartz watches.  So they will be showing up here.  The autos are in the safe for the weekend.

ETA:  I used to take the quartz into the jewelry stores for the batt changes.  But with an ass ton of them,  it became too cumbersome.  Finally invested in some nice Burgeon drivers and other watch tools and did this last round of changes myself.  Not gonna touch the autos though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

As a pilot - have you / do you ever use the tac/chrono function. I know a cockpit has all you need but always wondered that.
View Quote
Just saw this Fin.  You are correct.  I always flew with a chrono watch, Quartz for accuracy.  The jets, even the Hog back in 1990 -93 had a good chrono function on the UFCP and hud for JAAT and other time critical missions.  I always flew with chronos for backup incase the system time died for whatever reason.  Which never happend except for Emergency Procedures simulators which are part of the deal.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally received my straps from Joe @ DiaboliqStraps! Joe worked with me to integrate my old unit logo into a couple of pretty cool unique straps.

The first is a ballistic nylon strap made from material salvaged from my old vest. The second is moose leather with my unit logo lasered onto it.

I'm wearing this one today - trying to decide which is better for daily wear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#15]

007 is such a classic watch
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BrandonP:
Finally received my straps from Joe @ DiaboliqStraps! Joe worked with me to integrate my old unit logo into a couple of pretty cool unique straps.

The first is a ballistic nylon strap made from material salvaged from my old vest. The second is moose leather with my unit logo lasered onto it.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10998410&d=1488075212

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10998442&d=1488075447

I'm wearing this one today - trying to decide which is better for daily wear.
View Quote

LOVE THAT!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Been hunting for a few days, not fighting honey badgers.  Headed to my only Mardi-gras parade this year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Flying with the CEO of my company today for a meeting in the morning.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Question: Is that watch really big, or is your wrist really small?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By runcible:

View Quote

Lol...39mm, I have small joints even though I'm not a small person.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By runcible:

View Quote

44mm without the crown, and as you can see it's much longer than it is wide. It wears very big.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
My first time  posting here.

I was bored in a meeting today and happened to think of this thread

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 98kGuy] [#24]
I am finally wearing this again....I have it back for about 2 months....

Attachment Attached File

My dad's original 1974 (IIRC) Heuer Autavia 11630 MH Black/Orange Caliber 12...

It hadn't been in for service for 30 or so years...I finally found a shop locally I thought I could trust to do the work (I found out that it would be a horrible idea to send it back to TAG/Heuer...).

It was taken down and thoroughly cleaned, the only "repair" it needed was some part for the lower "reset" push button, the one installed was not correct...so after a long search, ONE was found in Arizona, and it was almost $200 just for the part...

A new sapphire crystal had to be custom cut for it...otherwise I had nothing done. the face, hands, bezel are all original. The hands have faded a bit to what Heuer collectors call "tropical" I understand, and also importantly no buffing of the case was done to preserve the original starburst polishing pattern.

So finally after almost 8 months, and $900 later, it was ready. Unfortunately it had to go back for a few weeks, as the stopwatch minute register wasn't adjusted/lined up correctly. But that was corrected, and its been working flawlessly and keeping great time ever since.

I love wearing this watch, and have received comments from a couple of watch guys who noticed what it was....
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious, do the bezels actually work on most of the watches posted in here?

I've seen a lot of nice looking watches over the years with bezels that don't move.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:15:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaSik] [#26]
Mostly G-shocks cause they take a beating. Had to stop wearing my nicer watches due to being banged around working on equipment or just stupidity. But today this: Casio GA-150-1ADR

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#27]

I've seen a lot of nice looking watches over the years with bezels that don't move.

View Quote

If the bezels don't move they haven't been properly maintained. You wouldn't wear a gun every day, all day without de-gunking it every once in a while, would you? Same thing goes for watches. Bezel mechanisms attract dirt and grime. All you have to do is lightly scrub them with a toothbrush. If you really want to go crazy, most of them pop off and you can do a detailed cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up from a member here, Hamilton Khaki Field Auto.

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#29]
IWC DOUBLE CHRONOGRAPH  “ANTOINE DE SAINT EXUPÉRY

It's hard to show just how awesome the sunburst brown dial on this thing really looks in person.

I split the second hands at two and four to show the double chronograph function.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NM_desert_rat] [#30]

View Quote

Depends on the watch and what the bezel is for.
On dive watches the bezel is supposed to be uni-directional counterclockwise so if it's used to time your air supply and it gets accidentally moved it errs on the side of caution instead of you staying down too long.
On chronographs the bezel is sometimes fixed and is either a tachymeter (on a pilots chrono) and/or is the seconds indicator for the "stopwatch" hand.
On GMT (multi time zone) watches the bezel is ofter bi-directional and is the second or third time zone's 24 hour indices.
You have to know the intended function of the bezel to know if and how it rotates.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
My job gets dirty sometimes, so I'm not a fan of fancy watches. I really like the field watch style. Stole this pic off the web but this is the one I have. Bertucci A2t

One day I'd like to move up to a victorinox infantry. I would never want anything more expensive than that, even if I had a clean job really. Just not my thing
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NM_desert_rat:

On dive watches the bezel is supposed to be uni-directional counterclockwise so if it's used to time your air supply and it gets accidentally moved it errs on the side of caution instead of you staying down too long.
On chronographs the bezel is sometimes fixed and is either a tachymeter (on a pilots chrono) and/or is the seconds indicator for the "stopwatch" hand.
On GMT (multi time zone) watches the bezel is ofter bi-directional and is the second or third time zone's 24 hour indices.
You have to know the intended function of the bezel to know if and how it rotates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NM_desert_rat:

Thanks.

I have dive watches with bezels that move to set bottom time. I wasn't sure about the chrono.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#33]
Special group buy, Breitling Aerospace.  Number 45 of 52.  Group buy for pilots assigned to 52 FW Luke AFB.....way back in 97.  I really need to take a toothbrush to this thing.  Nah, its a work watch!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#34]
fullsizeoutput_a31 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

Shiny new Tissot T-touch Solar Expert. Its a fun piece so far.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CFII:
fullsizeoutput_a31 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

Shiny new Tissot T-touch Solar Expert. Its a fun piece so far.
View Quote
Damn, that's pretty cool.  Gotta google now
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:45:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#36]
My newest interest.  Stand by...... we'll see.  gonna be pre owned.  Tudor in house movement, heritage black bay.  its a classic.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bullf-16:
My newest interest.  Stand by...... we'll see.  gonna be pre owned.  Tudor in house movement, heritage black bay.  its a classic.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126579/thumb-435242523-fsot-tudor-heritage-black-bay-in-house-movement-red-bezel-79230r-new-in-box-1488397952-4-0011-7470-158571.JPG
View Quote

I have the "smiley face" ETA Black Bay.
Excellent watch, mine runs at a steady +0.4 seconds per day. Amazingly accurate for a automatic.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I use mine for timing things like:

When did I put X on the grill.
When did I start the laundry.
How long since I ordered take out for pick up.
When did ishoot2live last post in this thread.

And so forth.

When not in use I like things aligned.

At the pool today, after I used it to time how long it took for my round of margaritas to show up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bullf-16:
My newest interest.  Stand by...... we'll see.  gonna be pre owned.  Tudor in house movement, heritage black bay.  its a classic.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126579/thumb-435242523-fsot-tudor-heritage-black-bay-in-house-movement-red-bezel-79230r-new-in-box-1488397952-4-0011-7470-158571.JPG
View Quote

I challenge you to get:

Tudor 9401 ref.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Baldmonk] [#40]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

I challenge you to get:

Tudor 9401 ref.
View Quote

They have gotten ridiculously expensive for what they are. Essentially a Rolex case and ETA movement.

This one is for sale for $32,000.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]
JeanRichard Aeroscope Chronograph. Rather stunning piece if I do say so myself.

fullsizeoutput_a4c by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#42]
My small "collection" pales in comparison to what some of you guys have, but I'm a budget watch guy and just getting interested in better quality pieces.

New Eco-Drive (30% off Amazon deal) with Barton leather band. My smallest at 37mm but now I have 37mm to 48mm.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#43]
JeanRichard Aeroscope Chronograph. Rather stunning piece if I do say so myself.

fullsizeoutput_a4c by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote
I also say so myself.  Nice piece!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
My small "collection" pales in comparison to what some of you guys have, but I'm a budget watch guy and just getting interested in better quality pieces.

New Eco-Drive (30% off Amazon deal) with Barton leather band. My smallest at 37mm but now I have 37mm to 48mm.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx282/jaston87/Guns/20443B08-1312-4A26-9E4A-6089B01FD4E4_zpsctlozhhb.jpg
View Quote
Classic!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Ollech & Wajs field watch with a Swiss Unitas 6947 mechanical movement.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#46]
My first watch.  Recently purchased mostly because my new job has me working in an area where cell phones are forbidden, so I need a way to tell time if I'm away from my computer.  But also because should I ever have a massive financial windfall,  I might require something to spend money on besides guns, knives and ammunition, so I felt I should start learning about watches

Based on a recommendation from this forum, I'm starting with a simple field watch, a Citizen Eco Drive.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Ollech & Wajs field watch with a Swiss Unitas 6947 mechanical movement.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/218/IMG-2729-163926.jpg
View Quote

Love it.

Always liked various O&W watches.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#48]
Fedex just dropped off my Air Stryk.  Ive had it since 2008.  I broke the stem recently changing out the battery.  Sent it off to MTM and they serviced it real well and put on a new band or cleaned the crap out of the last one.  Lots of sweat and dirt and the case was scratched to shit.  This watch has seen lots of abuse.  Glad to have it back.  Also just sent payment for a Tudor Blackbay red with inhouse movement.  Should be here thrusday.  In the background is the man on the fucking moon Omega

^Tudor black bay red inbound
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, you are winning at watches lately. Nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#50]
Well, you are winning at watches lately. Nice.
View Quote

Pics to follow.  Will be here thursday.
Page / 375
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top